Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Patrik Laine re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $6.75M AAV)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Laine puts up 45-50 in each of the next 2 years, he could make an argument to be paid more than Marner for sure.

Although Chevy is actually competent, so it's unlikely.
If he scores 50 the next two years, he'll ask to be the highest-paid player in the league on any long-term deal. Goals get you paid in the NHL, and by then it will be 4 years since McDavid signed making it an outdated deal.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Wow thats as fair as it gets. I imagine Laine has a massive chip on his shoulder, 40 goals 40 assists coming up.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
It's a spectacular deal for 2020 and 2021.

After that... well, there's going to be a dilemma for the Jets if he snaps back to 40g form. That next contract could very well be in the $10M+ range.

Jets will happily sign that if he is that player.

The risk of him turning into last year's player is minimized with this contract.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
A deal at all at any number and I'm pretty happy, but no UFA walk? This is awesome. Deal is short but eminently affordable.

Reactions: BatVader

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If Laine puts up 45-50 in each of the next 2 years, he could make an argument to be paid more than Marner for sure.

Although Chevy is actually competent, so it's unlikely.

Laine needs to be paid 12.96/4 years on the next contract to make exactly the same money as Marner... I don't see that happening, unless he really explodes over the next two years, and then him getting MM money could be a discount.

I think that the 2 years deal is good for the Jets, it covers them if Laine fortnites, and if not, they can still get a deal which will probably be not too bad (maybe not good).

Reactions: Schred

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
750K to get a contract done isn't bad if he puts up 60 + Points the next 2 years it looks like a good contract . as a leafs fan i hope Laine proves alot of people wrong and i hope he starts producing like how he did his first season.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Winnipeg held firm. Big signing.

Held firm and gave him a better contract than Point's?

Don't get me wrong, I've always been a big Laine believer and I wouldn't call this a bad contract but I also wouldn't call it holding firm.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
If I was a jets fan I would've liked to see a 3 year deal but it's fine.

Not great, not awful. It's fine.

Agree, I think it is a bit expensive but he will play the whole season so I guess I can live with it as Jet fan. It is now up to Laine to prove he is a solid 8 figure player over the next 2 years.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Pretty much what I expected. I wonder why it took this long.

Not when you’re the Lightning and Palat comes off the books in three years. It all depends on the specific circumstances of the player and team.
2 years means he'd have to go to arbitration twice to force his way to UFA. That gives them time to work out a trade before he gets too close if he takes that route, like they should've done for Trouba. Otherwise, it's short enough that they can extend him next summer already if everyone is happy.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Held firm and gave him a better contract than Point's?

Don't get me wrong, I've always been a big Laine believer and I wouldn't call this a bad contract but I also wouldn't call it holding firm.
Apples and oranges. Point got the equivalent of a 9aav if he had to pay the same taxes laine will have to pay.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
A dumb-ass move from Laine

He should've taken a 5-year, 8,4M$ offer sheet in July, and gotten this over with. The Jets would've matched it immediatelly

This 2 year term sucks balls. This basically means that they still won't let him maximize his game, keeping him playing in a bad role, not playing him 1:50 of every powerplay like Ovechkin.

Winnipeg will just try to minize his next deal. No way in hell they'll let him play all the powerplays, like he should.

Because that's how you win games, tanking your best goal scorer. This is insane, no team is going to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad