Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Patrik Laine re-signs with the Jets (2 years, $6.75M AAV)

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Maybe I'm wrong.
I thought the 3 year option was the only one that allows the player to walk to FA after taking a 1 yr QO. (With a bloated yr3 salary to go to arbitration)

In this scenario - Laine could simply elect to go to arbitration twice, and walk as a UFA at the same time the three year deal would allow him to.

Reactions: hn777

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
2 years. Maybe they won't need to negotiate contract lengths down in the next CBA. ;)
Looks like these young guys have noticed how many current team friendly contracts are the result of young stars committing long term at the going rate of the day.
Look after yourselves boys, nobody else is going to do it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Excellent deal by Laine and the Jets. A win win compromise. Team gets 2 year window to compete, Laine betting on himself. 6.75 for a 44 goal scorer is value. Much in line with Point's deal. RFA deals are looking comparable with the exception of Marner's deal this summer.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
In this scenario - Laine could simply elect to go to arbitration twice, and walk as a UFA at the same time the three year deal would allow him to.

True, but the extra year would give the team more time to feel out the situation. Also it's more risky for the player not locking in long term.

Reactions: The Big M

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Have to assume that Winnipeg will either be paying a hefty price on the next contract or he won't be a Jet anymore.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Held firm and gave him a better contract than Point's?

Don't get me wrong, I've always been a big Laine believer and I wouldn't call this a bad contract but I also wouldn't call it holding firm.

If you're using Point's contract for a measuring stick, then they all look bad.

Reactions: TS Quint

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's a spectacular deal for 2020 and 2021.

After that... well, there's going to be a dilemma for the Jets if he snaps back to 40g form. That next contract could very well be in the $10M+ range.
In two years Buff's $7.6M comes off the books (assuming he comes back), and the cap is expected to start escalating in a couple of seasons.

My guess is that the Jets know that they will need to pay Laine big bucks if he gets back to a 45+ goals level, but will be in a much better position to do that in a couple of seasons. This deal allows the Jets to sign Connor long-term now, and then they can work on a big long-term deal for Laine to begin in 2 years. The timing is highly relevant in terms of when other contracts are expiring, and where the cap is going.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
This is a good deal because laine gets signed, so many people always worried about how many years and how much i mean honestly who cares all that matters is that you sign them and make it fit, congrats jets fans!

Reactions: The Big M

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Complete trash deal. Point money on 2 years is awful.
90 point player signing for 6.75x3 is trash when you think about it. Especially when another player who got 90 points just signed for 11
aav.

Reactions: jonlin

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How you figure? He got the same amount as Point/Tkachuck with one less year.
Gives the Jets more runway to negotiate a good long-term deal. Trying to do that with only 1 RFA season left and the possibility of 3 strong seasons could make the next contract prohibitive. The 2-years is probably better if you are looking at a future long-term deal.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The trick is that the QO will be in base salary. That's not good for Patrik if 22/23 will be a lockout season.

And if it is a lockout season and there are less than 40 Games played, then it doesn't count as an Accrued Season and his UFA goes a year further.

Extension will look good to him in comparison to the QOs route.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
while I would of preferred laine locked up longer, some on here miss a very pertinent point.

this does leave enough money to sign connor to a longer term. we need both to play this year.

another fact that escapes some is that buf's deal is finished in two years.

freeing up money for a laine extension.

with our defence not being as bad as some thought, I think we will be fine this year

Last edited:

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Seems like a strong deal for the Jets. Laine should be motivated to prove he's worthy of a longer deal, so the Jets potentially get him at a bargain price. The second year is only $7.5 million, so the qualifying offer is very reasonable as well.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
1. His last season was really, really bad. I mean - it was catastrophically bad even after December. So PR isn't exactly high on his side with most fans disappointed with him last season.
So, a 30 goal season in 2nd, 3rd line is catastrophically bad. So, when are Anaheim, Arizona, Carolina, LA, Minnesota, New Jersey, Islanders, Ottawa and Vancouver leaving the NHL, since no one in the teams scored 30 goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad