Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Josh Morrissey re-signs (2 years, $3.15M AAV)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
No one is talking about how screwed the Jets are after this season. Their window is basically now. They can Bridge Connor and give a whatever deal to a guy like Tanev or try to internally replace. However they also need to either sign Trouba to likely a bigger cap hit than 5.5 OR replace him somehow. Myers is gone.

Just with trying to fill the depth like that you are already over their 4.1M in cap space.

And then you have Laine being worth 8-10M and looking for a long term contract.. Their team will be dismantled next season and it will be even worse when Morrissey and potentially Connor need long term deals and a declining Wheeler is making over 8M with several years left.

Damn I feel like there should be a bigger discussion on this honestly.

They have 23 million in cap space next year based on this years numbers. They have to pay Laine,Connor and Trouba. My guess is Trouba is traded. Laine,Connor and Myers get deals worth in the 18 to 20 million cap range.

They only thing that sucks is Trouba doesn't want to stick around

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They have 23 million in cap space next year based on this years numbers. They have to pay Laine,Connor and Trouba. My guess is Trouba is traded. Laine,Connor and Myers get deals worth in the 18 to 20 million cap range.

They only thing that sucks is Trouba doesn't want to stick around

Losing Trouba downgrades the right side tremendously, especially defensively. The top 4 of Buff and Myers is just terribad in their own zone. Do they move Trouba for futures? Not a win now move. If they get a piece back, depth isn't ideal but is expensive to keep, so I assume they look for a "hockey trade" and that player will need to be paid. Connor has been compared to Marner by Jets fans and if he has a big year will be looking at the Marner contract as his comparable. He might not get as much but if Marner gets 8M then Connor is likely getting 6.5-7M easily, especially if Nylander gets that and Connor matches his production this year.

Assuming everyone takes a big discount.. Laine gets 8M and Connor gets 5M, when you factor in the performance bonuses you have essentially 3-5M to replace several forward depth pieces and two top 4 RD. Then the year after that you have to pay a top pairing LD long term who will take whatever is left of cap space and nearly their entire bottom 6.

All I am saying is that basically this is it.. After this season their defense goes from one of the best to middle of the pack and the year after they lose nearly all of their F depth.

They better hope Wheeler lives up to his contract (which only kicks in sfter next season) and Hellebuyck doesn't regress at all. They basically need everyone to have another career season this year.

Of course this comes with having a good team, but the entire discussion all year has been how another team will fit everything in the cap, and the Jets are in even worse of a spot.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
No one is talking about how screwed the Jets are after this season. Their window is basically now. They can Bridge Connor and give a whatever deal to a guy like Tanev or try to internally replace. However they also need to either sign Trouba to likely a bigger cap hit than 5.5 OR replace him somehow. Myers is gone.

Just with trying to fill the depth like that you are already over their 4.1M in cap space.

And then you have Laine being worth 8-10M and looking for a long term contract.. Their team will be dismantled next season and it will be even worse when Morrissey and potentially Connor need long term deals and a declining Wheeler is making over 8M with several years left.

Countdown to your next thread ....

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Going to be interesting to watch the Jets situation over the next few seasons. They'll probably save money by trading Trouba but they overpaid Wheeler IMO.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I would have preferred longer, I think Josh is one of the most underrated players in the NHL. But the Jets got him at a very good price here for 2 years.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If Trouba stays, Myers is gone, and the Jets will need to move Perreault and Kulikov to free up cap space for Laine, Connor and Trouba. Jets don't need to worry about attracting UFAs, they need to keep the core they've drafted and developed. UFAs will come if the Jets are a real contender.

Except Trouba is gone. Myers is likely staying. Laine's money comes from Trouba's salary. I expect ELC(s) back for him. So that just leaves Connor and you can bridge him if need be, the increase being the subtraction of Chiarot's salary. That keeps Perreault and Kulikov to play out their contracts. Of the two Perreault could be moved if Veselainen, Lemieux and Appleton step up. But it's not move them just for the sake of getting younger, it's when they are expendable. The drivers in our playoff run were vets...Scheif, Wheeler, Stastny, Little, Buff, Myers. Morrissey-Trouba did their share. None of the ELC players are leaders yet, not mature enough, so adding more youth all the time, without leaders, isn't prudent. Needs to be a natural progression.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Good deal both ways. Morrissey is very good but his value is aided by Buff and Trouba who are both better. Conner Perreault Ehlers and Copp also help the left side. Well done Chevy.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This contract is super low ball. I think that Morrisey should be getting a lot more ice time this year and a lot more of that ice time should be on the PP. He got what I feel Nurse is worth. After this contract Morrisey will easily be making 6M.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
So have I, well not CF but numbers is numbers. I don't agree that Kulikov can be moved easily. I sure as hell hope Chevy is not going to make a habit of paying people to take on bad contracts with little term left.

If those players are moved there is room in the '20 season, but we go over the cap in the '21 season if Connor was not bridged the year before. Unless the cap goes up a lot. That's when Morrissey's bridge deal expires but before Buff's contract expires.

We are fine. Simple math. Trade Trouba for an ELC. Sanheim. Add a 2nd. With the money from Trouba's contract, you still have over 4.5 million of Trouba's salary to extend Laine. Myers should re-sign at the same or slightly less.

Connor needs to be re-signed after next year as well.. The money from Chiarot leaving and Stuart's buyout would put him around 3.5-3.75 on a bridge. Poolman gets a modest increase. Wheeler's increase puts us tight to the cap.

Tanev re-signed. Copp can be re-signed or replaced. Maybe Lemieux takes his spot. Maybe we add a cheap Pker. Matt Read? C.J Suess may step up. So we still have our core locked up.

Still room for Kulikov. And we still have Niku as ELC depth. Which is important because we don't have a lot of defensive depth. Stanley will have a year under his belt. Nogier may graduate.

Kulikov finishes his final year, maybe gets moved, depending on Niku/Morrow and Stanley', not to mention his own, performance.

At the end of the 2019-2020, Kulikov's salary is re-invested into Morrissey, long term, and Roslovic on a bridge. The increase in the salary cap should cover Sanheim on a bridge.

Connor comes up again at the end of Perreault's salary. There's the money.

Appleton and the Cap might force Perreault out a year early, they might not.

But there is no need to panic. Chevy knows best.

Reactions: Jimmyjets

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

I disagree.

I think the Jets cap issue is discussed in almost every thread about a Jets' player. Jets fans have consistently acknowledged some tough choices will have to be made. It is a reality for skilled and successful teams that the contracts get bigger and something has to give.

Yes, Trouba is likely gone. Unlikely they let him walk and even as a restricted free agent he will still garner a good return.

Agree that the cup window IS now. That was a key discussion point in the Trouba threads regarding his arbitration. Even if it means he walks in 2 seasons, it is worth it for a cup run this year and next because he gives the Jets a better chance to win.

A lot of talk was what happens with Myers vs Trouba. That has to play out still. Myers could be extended. He has openly talked about signing with the Jets long term.

Saying they have to dismantle the team is folly. They are going to have Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Little, and Lowry for the forseeable future. They still have top prospects in the pipeline to fill in as other players (see Armia) are moved. The D is more at risk (again with Trouba and Myers) but they have good depth and some top prospects (Niku and Samberg) in the pipeline there too.

Wheeler declining? Time will tell. He is pretty fantastic right now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Long-term, it probably does hurt a bit in that he's going to get PAID at the expiry of this deal. But in the meantime, they've got a tremendous young defender locked up at an extremely good value rate while they're in probably their best "window" as they've still got a bunch of other key pieces on ELCs that allow them to spend on other things for now.

Reactions: libertarian

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Jets have just under 56m (or about 24m of capspace if the cap doesn't go up) signed for next season and these players will need to be re-signed...
Lemieux 1.5
Petan 1
Laine 8.5
Trouba 7.5
Morrow 1
Tanev 1.5
Copp 1.5
KC 6
Dano 1.5
30m
Remove Trouba and we are good...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I wish he was locked up long-term. However, If there is a glimmer of hope of Trouba re-signing with the Jets, bridging Morrissey alleviates ~2ishM for next year for Chevy to take another stab at signing Trouba to a long-term deal. Guys lower down the line-up making 4M+ (ie: Perreault and Kulikov) likely get moved and filled with adequate cheaper replacements

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
The Jets have just under 56m (or about 24m of capspace if the cap doesn't go up) signed for next season and these players will need to be re-signed...
Lemieux 1.5
Petan 1
Laine 8.5
Trouba 7.5
Morrow 1
Tanev 1.5
Copp 1.5
KC 6
Dano 1.5
30m
Remove Trouba and we are good...

Close. Removing Trouba means we probably add Myers back in. The way I look at it is one of Trouba or Myers won't be back next year and one of Perreault or Kulikov won't be back next year. We can absorb those losses from our internal pool of players. Even if we let Myers walk and hold Trouba for another season and then let him walk we may be able to find a Trouba replacement through UFA if we really had to. Maybe we trade for a RHD with term at some point. Maybe after seeing the offers as a UFA Trouba decides to stay...

The reality is that people critiquing the Jets cap "trouble" are being lazy and haven't run the numbers. They see all these good young players and assume we can't keep them all and our depth will disappear. There will be cap casualties, but no top 6 forwards, top 4 D or starting goalies will turn over in the next 2 seasons unless the Jets decide that's what they want to do. If Myers ends up playing top 4 on his off hand, potentially we lose 1 second pairing D where we have the AHL defenseman of the year to plug into his spot once he goes and we'd still have Morrow, Stanley and Samberg to plug in for injuries and then to replace Kulikov when his contract expires. We're a little thin on RHD prospects but even at Center, Wheeler can slide over and play there in a pinch just like he did for 20 games last year.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad