Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Josh Morrissey re-signs (2 years, $3.15M AAV)

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
This is a great contract! Chevaldae is one of the best, if not the best, contract negotiators in the league. I was expecting $4m per on a 2 year bridge.

To me this is as close of a comparable as you can find for Nurse... Chiarelli should be sending Chevy flowers and a box of chocolate.

Didn’t realize former Jets 1.0 goaltender Cheveldae was brought in as a contract negotiator. Good job by TNSE to recruit him to get the job done though.

Reactions: zar

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
This is bad. Would've preferred they went with a one year bridge

Out of all the players they could bridge they bridge the most valuable left defensman on the team

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Jets will pay more in the future, when the cap is higher and several vets are off the cap, or close to it. This gives the Jets nice cap flexibility for the nest two seasons, which is good for a contending team.

The jets are in no rush

The jets window is a lot longer than 2 years

This is true north putting too much eggs in one basket

Too long of a wheeler contract and too short of a morrisey contract

Bridge Kyle connor if anything

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The jets are in no rush

The jets window is a lot longer than 2 years

This is true north putting too much eggs in one basket

Too long of a wheeler contract and too short of a morrisey contract

Bridge Kyle connor if anything
The only concern is if any of these bridged players then opt to hit UFA asap, thus they basically arbitration themselves to free agency. But, the tradeoff for them is security.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
The only concern is if any of these bridged players then opt to hit UFA asap, thus they basically arbitration themselves to free agency. But, the tradeoff for them is security.

It's a bad move. Should've signed a 1 year deal because they could've made moves next year

True North did such a food acquiring the prices to build a contending team
While getting some solid deals with players like scheifele and ehlers

But these last 2 aifninfs are kind of shooting themselves in the foot

Don't like this move at all
And their ugly ass new jersey doesn't help

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To anyone predicting 7+ on his next deal, why on earth do you expect Josh Morissey to be roughly top 12 in defenceman salary while still an RFA? There isn't a single precedent for that deal.

Haven't you noticed? 7 is the new 6. No way 7 is top 12 in 2 more years.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Haven't you noticed? 7 is the new 6. No way 7 is top 12 in 2 more years.

There's only 9 guys above 7 right now. EK will get there obviously. Pietrangelo is up for a contract the same year Morissey is so he will as well. Doughty's and OEL's new deals will have kicked in. I guess Krug could get there if GMs start valuing small offence first guys but right now that isn't really the case. Trouba might get it as a UFA. However the year after both Phaneuf and Byfuglien's contracts end and they won't be above 7 anymore. Letang and/or Weber could well be LTIRed by that point too. I guess Werenski or Provorov could get an Ekblad-type deal but that doesn't seem likely. That means 7 mill is likely to be the 16th highest when signed and the 14th highest a year after that unless I missed somebody. Moreover, almost none of these deals were signed with multiple RFA years remaining. Long story short, if Morrissey gets 7 million it'll be pretty unprecedented.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Trouba is still around Connor will have to be bridged too.
No he won't. They'll need to move Perreault and Kulikov, then they can sign Morrissey, Laine, Connor and Trouba long term. I've posted the Cap Friendly analysis a few times.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
No he won't. They'll need to move Perreault and Kulikov, then they can sign Morrissey, Laine, Connor and Trouba long term. I've posted the Cap Friendly analysis a few times.
It doesn't matter how many times you post it, the internet experts will come in with their own figures regardless.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
There's only 9 guys above 7 right now. EK will get there obviously. Pietrangelo is up for a contract the same year Morissey is so he will as well. Doughty's and OEL's new deals will have kicked in. I guess Krug could get there if GMs start valuing small offence first guys but right now that isn't really the case. Trouba might get it as a UFA. However the year after both Phaneuf and Byfuglien's contracts end and they won't be above 7 anymore. Letang and/or Weber could well be LTIRed by that point too. I guess Werenski or Provorov could get an Ekblad-type deal but that doesn't seem likely. That means 7 mill is likely to be the 16th highest when signed and the 14th highest a year after that unless I missed somebody. Moreover, almost none of these deals were signed with multiple RFA years remaining. Long story short, if Morrissey gets 7 million it'll be pretty unprecedented.
Agreed players scoring less than 40 pts tend to get paid less. Morrissey is good d-man but salary is pretty tied to scoring ,offensive d-men get more than defensive ones.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Did you look at all the young Dmen whose ELCs will expire over the next 2 years, or those whose bridge deals will expire? Look at the AAVs of contracts signed this year compared to last and to 2 years ago. The cap is up. So are AAVs. That can be expected to continue over the next 2 years.

It would be a leap if Morrissey got 7 now. Two years from now? Probably not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So have I, well not CF but numbers is numbers. I don't agree that Kulikov can be moved easily. I sure as hell hope Chevy is not going to make a habit of paying people to take on bad contracts with little term left.

If those players are moved there is room in the '20 season, but we go over the cap in the '21 season if Connor was not bridged the year before. Unless the cap goes up a lot. That's when Morrissey's bridge deal expires but before Buff's contract expires.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seems good, quite cheap really. Going to echo some others and say I wouldn't be surprised to see him double that AAV on the next one, but if he's doing that then the Jets know they have a really quality young defender on their team.

6.2M on a 8 year deal through his prime sounds damm good to me.

Chevy had to found away to get through next summer and this one helps, after that it gets easier for him.

If Trouba is still around Connor will have to be bridged too.

I really don't see a longterm future with Trouba in Winnipeg anymore, he's done this 2x now.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No one is talking about how screwed the Jets are after this season. Their window is basically now. They can Bridge Connor and give a whatever deal to a guy like Tanev or try to internally replace. However they also need to either sign Trouba to likely a bigger cap hit than 5.5 OR replace him somehow. Myers is gone.

Just with trying to fill the depth like that you are already over their 4.1M in cap space.

And then you have Laine being worth 8-10M and looking for a long term contract.. Their team will be dismantled next season and it will be even worse when Morrissey and potentially Connor need long term deals and a declining Wheeler is making over 8M with several years left.

Damn I feel like there should be a bigger discussion on this honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad