Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Josh Morrissey re-signs (2 years, $3.15M AAV)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seems good, quite cheap really. Going to echo some others and say I wouldn't be surprised to see him double that AAV on the next one, but if he's doing that then the Jets know they have a really quality young defender on their team.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So now we've got under 4.1 mil left in cap space after accounting for performance bonuses.

And people were actually thinking we traded Mason to try and find space for Stastny :rolleyes:
I didn't. You guys are f***ed next year.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
helluva deal for Morrissey. 6.5-7mil long term in 2 years if he keeps up his play. If trouba just accepts his QO next year he will be a UFA to boot

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
When Trouba leaves they should have it.
debatable.

7 mil now pre Laine and Connor deals. thats likely 14-15 million. Myers and Troiuba gone saves them about 9 (assuming replacement guys around 1 mil) and Kulikov leaving gets them in range in 2 years, but that would leave just Buff,Morrisey, and Poolman as the only D signed

Trouba gone. Myers gone. they probably still dont have enough to give laine,roslovic,connor and morrisey all long term deals

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
should have went long term and higher because hes unreal and is getting better

hes gonna want huge money in 2 years

Reactions: Pure

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I understand it was Morrisey who wanted the bridge deal. I'm sure Jets wanted a long term deal. Surprised Chevy blinked.

If that's the case, it's good to see JM bet on himself. Last thing any player should want is to break out after signing for term.

Seth Jones took term at $5.4 million per and after 2 years of the deal, he put up 57 points. What would that be worth as a RFA this off-season? With only 2 RFA years left? Would you rather have $32.5 million guaranteed for 6 years or take $6.5 million over 2 years and bet that you can do better than $26 million over the next 4 years ($6.5 million per). It may net out over time cause contract terms on the next deal would overlap what he would get plus there's age to consider.

But, you never want to end up like Roman Josi who signed for $28 million over 7 years then break out afterwards. By the time his deal ends, he likely would have left $10 million on the table. If he took a bridge for $4 million, then $6.5 - $7 million per afterwards, then he's close to $40 million over the same 7 years.

If JM liked the number on a long term deal, I think he signs it, but it likely wasn't high enough for him. Players generally like the security if the number is pretty good.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
You know the Oilers management will be on the phone quickly to Nurse's agent. This deal has to set the parameters for his contract. Will be two years around 3m per. Wouldn't be surprised to see an identical contract.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You also said the Jets are ****ed next year.
I've been saying it since the middle of last season. That's why I wasn't buying the Stastny re-signing junk. You've got enough to deal with next summer. Trading Mason helped, but money's still tight.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
This is a great contract! Cheveldayoff is one of the best, if not the best, contract negotiators in the league. I was expecting $4m per on a 2 year bridge.

To me this is as close of a comparable as you can find for Nurse... Chiarelli should be sending Chevy flowers and a box of chocolate.

Last edited:
Reactions: KarmaPolice

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
debatable.

7 mil now pre Laine and Connor deals. thats likely 14-15 million. Myers and Troiuba gone saves them about 9 (assuming replacement guys around 1 mil) and Kulikov leaving gets them in range in 2 years, but that would leave just Buff,Morrisey, and Poolman as the only D signed

Trouba gone. Myers gone. they probably still dont have enough to give laine,roslovic,connor and morrisey all long term deals
You're under the assumption the cap won't be rising? It went up close to $5 million this year. Also, IMO more trades will be made (ie. Bryan Little).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm a little disappointed that he didn't get Enstrom's departed money, since he has been a more reliable defenseman since his arrival. I think the bridge is going to cost them. If we lose him in 4 years because we low balled our best defenseman I will be disappointed with our management.
He wants to stay in Winnipeg, and Chevy wants to keep him. They'll settle on a long-term deal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I didn't. You guys are ****ed next year.
Do some research. The Jets jetisson Kulikov, Myers and Perreault next year, replace them with their good young talent, and they can afford big long-term contracts for Connor, Trouba, Laine and Morrissey.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
debatable.

They have cap space going forward, once they jetisson the $13.8 million from Myers, Perreault and Kulikov. It's tiring to have posters comment without bothering to actually check the cap situation going forward.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Do some research. The Jets jetisson Kulikov, Myers and Perreault next year, replace them with their good young talent, and they can afford big long-term contracts for Connor, Trouba, Laine and Morrissey.
Trouba is “likely” a pipe dream
So even more $ available or Myers stays

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
They have cap space going forward, once they jetisson the $13.8 million from Myers, Perreault and Kulikov. It's tiring to have posters comment without bothering to actually check the cap situation going forward.

Truth is though that it is unlikely any of those guys are moves. Myers wants to stay. Perreault and Kulikov are 2 UFAs that signed on a team that is in the bottom 4 for desirable destinations. Trading them will not help signing UFAs going forward. The only player that seems to be surely gone is Trouba and they may take ELCs and picks back for him.

Reactions: Jetsfan79

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba is “likely” a pipe dream
So even more $ available or Myers stays
Trouba might not want to sign, but the Jets will have cap room to sign him to a 7.5m contract, or something in that range, and still sign long term deals with Connor, Laine and Morrissey.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Truth is though that it is unlikely any of those guys are moves. Myers wants to stay. Perreault and Kulikov are 2 UFAs that signed on a team that is in the bottom 4 for desirable destinations. Trading them will not help signing UFAs going forward. The only player that seems to be surely gone is Trouba and they may take ELCs and picks back for him.
If Trouba stays, Myers is gone, and the Jets will need to move Perreault and Kulikov to free up cap space for Laine, Connor and Trouba. Jets don't need to worry about attracting UFAs, they need to keep the core they've drafted and developed. UFAs will come if the Jets are a real contender.

Reactions: Aggie204 and ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad