Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Josh Morrissey re-signs (2 years, $3.15M AAV)

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I understand it was Morrisey who wanted the bridge deal. I'm sure Jets wanted a long term deal. Surprised Chevy blinked.

Hard not to blink. He waited as long as he could and unfortunately if he forces Morrissey into a position where he misses games bridges are burned to the point where he has not choice but to move him. There'd be no meetings at a coffee shop like with Trouba a couple of years ago because that would only give the Jets the same result they got today.

They worked as long as they could on a long term solution ended up with 2 years of cost certainty. Hopefully once Myers and Kulikov are off the books, we'll have Trouba and Morrissey int heir place.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Ya I think this in combination with the Wheeler contract shows the jets are looking at a 2-3 year window

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Incredible deal IMO.

This is a clear "going for it now" deal if I've ever seen one, though. Hey, if they win the cup in the next 2 years, which this deal definitely helps them with, it's all worth it.

Reactions: wintersej

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Depends who you are: Glass half Full... Glass half Empty.

Half Full: great deal for an underrated Dman.

Half a Empty: he’s gonna cost probably double that in 2 years.

Depends who you are, but this is a good deal. It allows them to make a good move in an arbitration hearing if it comes to that too when the next contract comes afoot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's the Jets window. After two years, they won't be able to keep the band together.
They'll be able to keep their core together. They'll have to let players like Kulikov, Myers and Perreault go, but have a good pipeline to fill in with young players on their ELCs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I understand it was Morrisey who wanted the bridge deal. I'm sure Jets wanted a long term deal. Surprised Chevy blinked.

Well it's tough to force a long-term deal if the player doesn't want it, so it was going to be bridge anyway, might as well get it done now.

Smart on Morrissey's part, if Trouba is gone after 2 years then Morrissey is probably our best dman and he'll get paid.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Would rather lock him up long term around 5-6 M but this allows for more cap flexibility for the next 2 years. If he turns into a stud n0. 1 Chevy will regret this deal though.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
To anyone predicting 7+ on his next deal, why on earth do you expect Josh Morissey to be roughly top 12 in defenceman salary while still an RFA? There isn't a single precedent for that deal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Top tier value today. Short though. Even if he maintains his level of play in two years, he’ll double this dollar amount at least.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm a little disappointed that he didn't get Enstrom's departed money, since he has been a more reliable defenseman since his arrival. I think the bridge is going to cost them. If we lose him in 4 years because we low balled our best defenseman I will be disappointed with our management.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That's the Jets window. After two years, they won't be able to keep the band together.
Very similar situation to the maple Leafs, no? Good, talented teams have to jettison good, talented players as the contracts pile up. Jets are tight to the cap for the next couple seasons for sure.

And I think the window is more like 5 years. The core of forwards will be kept. Hellebucyk is signed long term. The D is the question mark. Myers is entering his last year. Trouba is an unknown. Buff has 3 years. Really have to hope Niku and Samberg make it (and/or trades / UFA land the Jets a couple top 4 D).

Reactions: Guffman and boyko10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad