Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jacob Trouba signs (2 years, $3M AAV)

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Because it's a discussion board, not a pat on the back forum.

It's definitely good news to get to some sort of compromise between the two parties though. Board members don't know what the compromise means but we're here to discuss it, or give our point of view.

He plays this season in Jets and next summer is either traded or signed longterm.

Its not rocket science.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In 2 years there should be a #1RD spot available on a really good team in Winnipeg.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
or Chevy has given Trouba the vision for the future and where Jacob fits in with the Jets and they signed the bridge to give Trouba some "insurance"

If he sees that he his career is moving in the right direction over the two years, he will likely sign an extension. Until then.
Makes perfect sense. If the contract was signed 1 month ago. That is stuff they would have talked about early on. The vision for the future, discussing whether to go long term or bridge etc.
It's doubtful anything has changed. Just that Trouba accepts to start playing and helping Winnipeg and puts on a nice public image while Chevy keeps looking for a trade.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The guy is stuck in this crap hole for two more years because he needs to make a living and the Jets held all the cards.

He's just making neutral remarks to get by until he can actually leave. It's not exactly a new tactic.

Oh Carl when will you ever move away.
You hate Winnipeg so much (based on previous posts).
Why do you continue to live in such a "hell hole"?

When you take into account road trips, off season, x-mas and all star breaks and sleeping... an NHL player doesn't spend that much time in whatever city they play in. Much less of an issue for millionaires.
He can't leave because he wants to play NHL hockey. What's your excuse?

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
Jets fans have been bi-polar about this whole thing as well. Many - including me - wanted him to GTFO as soon as the trade request happened.

I think most were upset because this IS a team with a lot of potential, and we're hoping (1) he's a key part of that growth, and (2) that he sees the potential as well and (3) realizes that he will likely be the #1 D within a year or two (IMO). With him back, that on paper is a pretty good looking defence core. Buff, Trouba, Morrissey, Myers, Enstrom is a fine top 5. Up front with Wheeler, Scheif, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Little. Again, pretty high quality stuff. To date, we're not the team we want to be, but you can see that this could be a fantastic team if it clicks.

He's signed now, he's apparently very well liked by management and his team. I for one am hoping that he's back for another 6-10 years.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
You tell me. When is the year that the Jets are actually suppose to contend?

I hear all about the prospects in the pipeline. Stacked everywhere. "Don't need any forwards"

What is the season where the guys are suppose to make a jump and the Jets are more than a team that does well to make a WC spot? (Or at least get that spot and be competitive in the series?)

The Hockey News said 2019.
So I think playoffs for sure next year.
The Jets timeline also lines up nicely with the demise of several western powerhouses over that same time.
Some of them will transition nicely and manage to stay a top team but unlikely it works out for all of them.

The Jets should be a bubble team this year (maybe playoffs maybe not). 2017 - 2018 should see them contend for that top 3 spot in their division / conference. If that works out then 2018 - 2019 should be a fun year. WHO KNOWS? It's sports. We're not the first team with hope for the future. Will it for sure work out? No one knows. All we can do is wait and see and hope it's a fun ride along the way.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Please be true....I really do want him to stay, and be happy to play in Winnipeg.

Our core of Chef, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Morrissey, Trouba and Helle can be a nightmare for a decade if it all pans out.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Jets fans have been bi-polar about this whole thing as well. Many - including me - wanted him to GTFO as soon as the trade request happened.

I think most were upset because this IS a team with a lot of potential, and we're hoping (1) he's a key part of that growth, and (2) that he sees the potential as well and (3) realizes that he will likely be the #1 D within a year or two (IMO). With him back, that on paper is a pretty good looking defence core. Buff, Trouba, Morrissey, Myers, Enstrom is a fine top 5. Up front with Wheeler, Scheif, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Little. Again, pretty high quality stuff. To date, we're not the team we want to be, but you can see that this could be a fantastic team if it clicks.

He's signed now, he's apparently very well liked by management and his team. I for one am hoping that he's back for another 6-10 years.

Very well said.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I love that when captain Blake Wheeler was asked about welcoming Trouba back to the room and if there would be issues he just said he would give him a big hug and that he is already a part of the room.

Someone made a good point.
In Overhardt's previous stare downs things got personal.
The GM's of those teams lost it on him and spoke negatively about the agent publicly. Chevy kept his cards tight to his chest and never allowed any public statements.

So perhaps that is the one difference between this and the previous situations.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Don't know what else he would say, I can see him staying a little while but will he commit long term with the team. That remains to be seen.
Yeah, this kind of statement seemed like a given. Now that he's signed he needs to make sure the fans don't lynch him on the way to the arena. Plus if no trade happened this whole time it only creates additional spotlight to keep that trade request public. With the standards the Winnipeg GM has for a move there isn't one coming any time soon and Trouba probably knows that.

Will see what happens. They've bought some time, but the next contract will be the telling one.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga
Not sure if it was mentioned in here but Kypreos on hockey central mentioned that he doesn't believe Trouba gets moved this year but he'd still like out. Him not moving has more to do with how Winnipeg sees his value and how the rest of the league does. GMs have questions about his game

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
Not sure if it was mentioned in here but Kypreos on hockey central mentioned that he doesn't believe Trouba gets moved this year but he'd still like out. Him not moving has more to do with how Winnipeg sees his value and how the rest of the league does. GMs have questions about his game

Most players have questions about their game, including Trouba. I still think 29 GM's would be interested. Some more than others for sure.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Most players have questions about their game, including Trouba. I still think 29 GM's would be interested. Some more than others for sure.

I am sure most GMs in the league have interest, however at what price?

Trouba for Lindberg Graves and a mid round - Sure sign me up.

Trouba for Miller, Skjei and a First - No Thank you

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am sure most GMs in the league have interest, however at what price?

Trouba for Lindberg Graves and a mid round - Sure sign me up.

Trouba for Miller, Skjei and a First - No Thank you

Enthusiasm for Trouba among the other teams will wax and wane, depending on circumstances and Trouba's performance. At this point, the NYR probably aren't interested in any trade because they are riding a very hot streak right now. Their interest might increase if they hit a slump. Other teams (like the Isles, Wings and Canucks) might be highly motivated to make a trade at this point.

This deal accomplishes 3 things relevant to a potential trade:

1) Allows Trouba to get back on the ice and further establish his market value.
2) Establishes financial / cap certainty for any team wanting to acquire him, with the possible benefit of putting him within reach of teams closer to the cap.
3) Gives Chevy some time to sift through the shifting trade offers from other teams as their fortunes wax and wane, through the expansion draft, entry draft and free agency, if necessary.

Generally, there are a lot more teams disappointed with their performance by the trade deadline or after the season than a dozen games into the season.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They've either gone into hiding or changed their tune to fit their agenda. :laugh:

It's really annoying that so much of the discussion on the trade forum is just angry people predicting team X will get screwed by situation Y, even when it makes no logical sense.

Like when the Datsyuk threads were chock full of people insisting the Redwings would be forced to pay a terrible price to move him. Even when it was carefully and repeatedly explained that his effective salary being zero meant that it would not cost as much to move him as a guy like Bickell, they just refused to look at it logically.

ultron*

Sep 26, 2016
I think he still wants out...

I don't understand why he doesn't want to go anywhere in Canada. I understand Winnipeg is not the easiest place to live, but Toronto? Toronto is a world class city and has a great future. Much better than most American teams. I don't really get him at all.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't understand why he doesn't want to go anywhere in Canada. I understand Winnipeg is not the easiest place to live, but Toronto? Toronto is a world class city and has a great future. Much better than most American teams. I don't really get him at all.

The rumour is that his GF wants to get into med school, and since she's not a citizen here, no med school will accept her and she would have to go to an American school. Also, his dad has trouble getting into the country due to a prior felony conviction.

Would seem it's less "Winnipeg is a horrible city" and more that Canada isn't a fit for people important to him.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Been busy the last couple days, but I'll totally man up and admit that I was totally wrong. Chevy indeed played this perfectly. Kudos to getting him signed to a great deal. Will look forward to continuing to watch him play in the league.

ultron*

Sep 26, 2016
The rumour is that his GF wants to get into med school, and since she's not a citizen here, no med school will accept her and she would have to go to an American school. Also, his dad has trouble getting into the country due to a prior felony conviction.

Would seem it's less "Winnipeg is a horrible city" and more that Canada isn't a fit for people important to him.

But med schools are so hard to get into. How does she know she's gonna get into the American city he gets traded to?

And his dad.... lmao what did he do?

Jacob Trouba and his family have effed up priorities. Everyone around him should be doing their best to HELP his career.

Trouba would be great in Toronto, but I don't even know if I want him considering everything. He seems like the type that puts himself above the team... bet he would bolt as soon as he hit UFA.

Rielly is the total opposite. He wants to be here.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

He is from the U.S. someone wanting to go back to their home country to live and play but can't understand why really? really? really?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
But med schools are so hard to get into. How does she know she's gonna get into the American city he gets traded to?

And his dad.... lmao what did he do?

Jacob Trouba and his family have effed up priorities. Everyone around him should be doing their best to HELP his career.

Trouba would be great in Toronto, but I don't even know if I want him considering everything. He seems like the type that puts himself above the team... bet he would bolt as soon as he hit UFA.

Rielly is the total opposite. He wants to be here.

She's a Michigan grad, I would assume that if her marks are good enough, she'll get in somewhere in the US, likely even Michigan.

His dad has something related to his work in finance. I don't know anything more than that.

Rielly probably doesn't have these family issues, plus as a Canadian playing in Canada, he wouldn't be facing the same things. I don't begrudge Trouba wanting to live in the US, if these GF and family issues are true. Trouba would probably bolt as soon as he hit UFA because he wants to be in the US, but I don't get the impression that he would bolt from an American team if he were traded there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->