would you trade Rielly if...

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I wouldn't. The Leafs need #1 D men too. Since they take longer to develop than forwards do, it would make little sense to trade Rielly for a 18 year old forward. Rielly being slightly older than the forward core is perfect the way it is.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
not even close. Teams need D too.

I'd have a tough time trade him for Matthews(thought I'd probably do it), the value would obviously be there by a mile and we've needed that elite 1C forever, but where are we going to get our D from then?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
No. It's basically a lateral move for no reason.

Laine/Puljuice has an edge in upside, but Rielly plays a generally more valuable position that is also a need for the franchise, while being a high character guy we are already starting to build around. You don't make lateral moves unless it's someone that is struggling and need a change.

TheMadNavigator

May 7, 2015
The Junction
No. It's basically a lateral move for no reason.

Laine/Puljuice has an edge in upside, but Rielly plays a generally more valuable position that is also a need for the franchise, while being a high character guy we are already starting to build around. You don't make lateral moves unless it's someone that is struggling and need a change.

What Dougie said!

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Anyone who says "yes" or considers it needs to look at our d core and prospects without Rielly.

If Rielly's gone we need a #1,#2, and #3/4. Depending on Dermott, potentially none of those are in the system.

Our defense would be all time embarrassing.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Would trade him in a heartbeat for a top 3 pick. Doubt he will be anything more than adequate defensively and his offense is far from being elite. The top three picks are all have top line potential, with Matthews being franchise talent. Anyone who wouldn't trade him for Matthews is off their rocker.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'd take Ovi over any defenseman in the league, but I see what you're saying.

Especially because defensemen take longer to develop, trading Rielly for a winger sets our rebuild back by years.

Ovi is one of the greatest wingers in league history. Thats a very unfair example.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I'd take Ovi over any defenseman in the league, but I see what you're saying.

Especially because defensemen take longer to develop, trading Rielly for a winger sets our rebuild back by years.

Really? I'd take Doughty and Weber over Ovi without even thinking about it.

If we lost Reilly we'd have one, maybe two NHL defensemen. Would be a backwards move.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
If Rielly was in this year's draft I highly doubt he would go top 3. You do this trade and run.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
I don't think Reilly will ever be a true #1 franchise D-men. I see him peaking out at a #2, at most.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
so would i trade rielly for laine...dam thats pretty dam close

i think i would, laine looks like a 70-80 point winger with elite size

Mad Brills*

I'd only trade him if they were getting a RH top 2 young dman back + a centre.

Barring something ridiculous like paryako + fabbri, he's not moving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad