would you trade Rielly if...

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
How about RNH and Nurse for Kadri and Rielly? I would pull the trigger on that trade.

Classic case of grass is greener syndrome.

You'd have to trade him for Matthews obviously, beyond that would be a question mark.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Your chart shows Rielly is not top 6 worthy in both shot and goal suppression and getting worse. Sure you can blame Hunwick and argue tougher assignments, but let's not pretend you "stomped someone."
Rielly is currently a second pairing level defencemen that is challenged defensively and is putting up mediocre point totals for someone that was supposed to be elite offensively.

He's also only 21....

Id agree that he's not currently a top pairing guy just yet, but signs clearly point he's developing into one.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No reason whatsoever to trade Morgan. Get him a legit top 4D to play with (this message will be parroted)

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Nurse is a 21 yrs old and only started to have NHL exp this yr. While Reilly is also 21 yrs old turning 22 and this is his third NHL season.
Both players belong to organisations that need defense help since they are drafted. It is pretty clear how far ahead and establish Reilly is at this point. Since Nurse only gets the call now. As for their peak potential, nobody knows that and it is pure projections. No point even bringing that up. All I know is Nurse is not untouchable in Edmonton while Morgan is to the Leafs.
As for RNH and Kadri. People have to realise that RNH always had Hall and Eberle to play with while Kadri have a rotating door of bottom 6.
I am by no mean Kadri's fan but to me he is still a better overall player than RNH.

There is no debate that Rielly is further ahead than Nurse. But just like Rielly, Nurse has been paired with scrubs as well. I would say that Nurse is equally as untouchable as Rielly and is considered a key piece. I also think they both have top pairing upside, and I project Nurse to be much superior defensively - he is a beast. But clearly, Rielly is further developed at this point.
I don't know how you can argue Kadri is an overall better player than RNH. His point totals exceed those of Kadri and at the same age RNH was in the NHL while Kardi was in the AHL. Career .71ppg for RNH compared to .59ppg for Kadri. RNH is only 22 with upside while Kadri is close to a finished product in his prime. Saying RNH is better is pure rubbish in my opinion. He has established himself as a #1C while Kadri is a mediocre/decent #2C.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I love how you can stomp someone in an argument on here and people leave with their tail between their legs.

A poster being wrong on occasions is not grounds to discourage discussion with all due respect. You can't or i can't predict the future of any players with complete accuracy.

Its fluid over so many different variables on every player.

Last edited:

TMLifer

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto
I would never trade a player like Rielly if I'm the Maple Leafs. WAY TOO MUCH POTENTIAL to be crazy enough to trade him. The offer has to be so sweet that I couldn't pass, and it would have to include a player of his potential (I don't want picks for him).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A poster being wrong on occasions is not grounds to discourage discussion with all due respect. You can't or i can't predict the future of any players with complete accuracy.

Its fluid over so many different variables on every player.

He made a definitive statement that Rielly was a #3, Babcock thinks he's a #2 and most of the advanced stats suggest he is a top 2 defenseman that I provided.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The trade still doesn't make sense.

Rielly is a recent top 5 pick himself, who is developing well and plays a position of need as the Leafs curreohave no other bluechip defensive prospects (though some guys may prove to be once developed more).

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
You don`t move Rielly unless you get an obvious upgrade ... i.e. won't happen. I don't get fans who want to max out their dream top6 forwards and totaly disregard any sort of defense. Like Washington/Edmonton/Pits were dominating the past cap era. If anything Morgan needs an equal partner. Should be of the same importance to the Leafs as finally picking a big #1 center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad