would you trade Rielly if...

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I wouldn't trade with the Oilers but I wouldn't tag him with an untradeable label. Everyone has a price. He is a strong #2.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Possibly. Not sure anymore how current management feels about Rielly. He's not a Shanahan pick, and they've been really pumping his tires all season which means he's probably being traded.

Not sure OP's idea is what gets it done though. Could see the Oilers having interest but not sure 2/3OA is what piques the Leafs' interest, even if it is considered fair compensation.

Leafs would want to backfill the void on D. They don't have enough prospects right now that are even projecting to fill that void. Dermott? Valiev? Zaitsev?

I can see Dermott and Zaitsev *potentially* being top pairing D if all goes well, but you can't sell top pairing D men banking on a prospect hitting that mark. It's very hard to do.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Possibly. Not sure anymore how current management feels about Rielly. He's not a Shanahan pick, and they've been really pumping his tires all season which means he's probably being traded.

Not sure OP's idea is what gets it done though. Could see the Oilers having interest but not sure 2/3OA is what piques the Leafs' interest, even if it is considered fair compensation.

Leafs would want to backfill the void on D. They don't have enough prospects right now that are even projecting to fill that void. Dermott? Valiev? Zaitsev?

I can see Dermott and Zaitsev *potentially* being top pairing D if all goes well, but you can't sell top pairing D men banking on a prospect hitting that mark. It's very hard to do.

Based on what though?

Have you seen them or going off what you've heard/read ?

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

Or, maybe they're happy with the progress he's made? Just because he was drafted before Shanahan came along, doesn't exactly mean he's going to be traded. You don't trade, your best d-man because someone else drafted him.

He's steadily improved year after year, after joining the big club. He's going to be here for a while.

Mad Brills*

If someone offered the leafs a top 2 RH dman and a centre prospect like a fabbri type, then yes.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
You drop Rielly like a hot potato. He was a good pick for a weak draft. But he's not a 1-3 OA quality player. Not by a long shot. If he was Doughty or Karlsson, we'd know it by now. Sorry, guys.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You drop Rielly like a hot potato. He was a good pick for a weak draft. But he's not a 1-3 OA quality player. Not by a long shot. If he was Doughty or Karlsson, we'd know it by now. Sorry, guys.

So you can drop our only top pairing caliber defenseman (even if he's a #2 defenseman, that's still top pairing) for likely a winger in one of the Fins? Jeez, when has building around wing/forwards ever worked?

Spoiler alert: it hasn't

See Edmonton for building just with forwards.

and for the winger results I offer Toronto with JVR, Kessel, Lupul as our best players. I offer Vancouver with Naslund and Bertuzzi. Columbus with Nash and Zherdev/Vybourny. Lastly Atlanta with Hossa/Heatley and Kovalchuk.

Unless you're getting a #1C guaranteed or a guy like Ekblad, it's a dumb move to deal Rielly.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Trading Rielly for anything less then the exact same player (with equal or more development), would be an incredibly stupid thing to do. Whether you like it or not, the rebuild status is pretty much tied to his development (which imo is right on track to being that top pairing guy). Leafs have nothing coming through in terms of high end defensemen (unless we hit a random home run), where as we have several top offensive prospects and another one on the way this draft.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
So you can drop our only top pairing caliber defenseman (even if he's a #2 defenseman, that's still top pairing) for likely a winger in one of the Fins? Jeez, when has building around wing/forwards ever worked?

Spoiler alert: it hasn't

See Edmonton for building just with forwards.

and for the winger results I offer Toronto with JVR, Kessel, Lupul as our best players. I offer Vancouver with Naslund and Bertuzzi. Columbus with Nash and Zherdev/Vybourny. Lastly Atlanta with Hossa/Heatley and Kovalchuk.

Unless you're getting a #1C guaranteed or a guy like Ekblad, it's a dumb move to deal Rielly.

Building around a #3 defenceman has never worked, either. So your argument is moot.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
The Oilers won the 2nd or 3rd lottery and wanted to trade it for him?

Interesting proposal. It would be enticing if the Leafs with there own pick get one of the Finns to trade and get the other that's for sure.

At the end of the day the only way to improve is to add without subtracting so stay the course and keep Reilly is what I would do

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Building around a #3 defenceman has never worked, either. So your argument is moot.

Why is he a #3 Defenseman?

Babcock said himself he sees Rielly as a #2 defenseman right now and he's trying to see if he can take the next step.

Or are you more qualified then Babcock?

http://public.tableau.com/shared/B898QD34M?:display_count=yes

Strong growth except for shot suppression which I'm not surprised about, he's now getting top pairing shut down minutes versus the minutes he got last season.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Depends on how contract talks go. If we can lock him up long-term at a reasonable cap hit then we should probably keep him. If he insists on a 2-3 year bridge or a crazy high cap hit long term then I'd rather take 2nd overall.

If we get Matthews with our pick, getting 2nd overall becomes more tempting though. It would essentially guarantee an elite top-6 within the next 2 years. At that point, we can draft nothing but D and goalies for the next few years. I'd imagine that Hunter would be able to find a couple of gems with 30+ picks.

Laine-Matthews-Marner
xxxxx-Nylander-xxxxxx

The 2nd line wings can be easily filled with prospects we already have, same with the bottom 6. That frees up guys like Kadri/JVR to trade for defense. Before anyone jumps on this with the standard "do you wanna be the Oilers" garbage, you have to keep in mind that the Oilers aren't bad because they're forward heavy, they're bad because they can't draft outside the 1st round. A single Faulk/Parayko/Klingberg/Gostisbehere late round steal would have been enough to start turning things around.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even if the Leafs did want to trade Rielly to Edmonton for the 2nd or 3rd pick which I say would be a horrible decision, they should at least also ask for the Oilers 2017 1st round pick and make sure it's not conditional. That's how much I think Rielly is worth to them and his future in Toronto.

Heart

Jun 10, 2015
Wouldn't do it unless we had another top pairing young dman from some where else. AND. Edmonton over payes for Rielly as he's more valuable.

Say.... We traded JVR/Kadri and change for a Dumba/Trouba/Fowler type

Then trade Rielly for Edmontons 1st and 2nd drafting Laine and another Hunter approved prospect at 32

Draft Hunters favourite D man with our 1st, let's call him Chychrun

We come out with 2 top pairing projected dmen and Laine who I think will be an absolute beast in a few years. Add the 32nd pick and the fact we get younger, cheaper and gain more cost certainty with Dumba/Trouba/Fowler and 2 x 18 year olds in Laine and the 32nd over JVR/Kadri and Rielly

Regardless Rielly isn't untouchable and if the right set of deals or circumstances present themselves then a trade should be made. Pretty sure this management group isn't married to anyone if the right deal comes across them. This management group has shown that they are more then capable of surprises and outside the box thinking.

FazeLeaf*

The only player I would trade Rielly for at this point is McDavid or Crosby or Ovechkin

Id trade him for Ekblad or Doughty or Pietrangelo or if EDM offered something like 4th + 34th id take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad