Would You Trade Hughes for Makar Straight Up?

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
As a Canucks fan, NO WAY, even if the AVs add a 2nd round pick... Why, Because Canuck luck dictates that we will somehow manage to lose that trade, my guess would be a serious injury.
My guess would be that playing on a better team would help hughes 5 on 5 production and it would quickly become clear that this supposed massive gap between the two simply doesn't exist.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Many unknowns here, so I'd rather the Canucks stick w/ what they have; also, keep in mind that Quinn Hughes is a year younger. A year ago, would Cale Makar have been able to do what Quinn Hughes is doing presently?

Does the Avs system promote heavy use of a single d-man, instead of scoring by committee? Last year, there was a 32pt gap between Tyson Barrie & the Avs second highest scoring d-man. This year, Cale Makar is on pace to outscore the Avs next d-man pts leader by 48pts; whereas Quinn Hughes is on pace to outscore the next Canucks d-man pts leader by 22pts. Furthermore, to back the theory that the high-scoring output of a single Avs d-man could be system-related, is Tyson Barrie's inability to replicate what he did last season w/ his new team (it's a contract year for him, so he's surely motivated).

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Makar is without a doubt the better player today.

But Quinn is a year younger. I want to see them in a few years or i feel this could come back and bite us.

A third of a season is also a pretty small sample size. But Yeah, Makar is playing at a legendary pace right now. It's a no brainer. It's just that Quinn's younger and I mean it's a difference of five points right now lol.

One last point: At Hughes age, Makar was tearing up the NCAA. Hughes is in the NHL already. There's actually no way I'd confidently make this trade. And I'm not saying Hughes is for sure better. I might even make it if it were even my choice, it's just that it's no sure thing. I think it'd be a little risky. Basically, it's not a AINEC situation IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canucks1096

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I wish we had both. But I’m also extremely happy with Pettersson too.

The Avs have an embarrassment of riches. Great young forwards up front. Some very good young defensemen with Makar and Girard, and they have Byram and Newhook in the system. This is a team that has a bright future.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Yes, but Makar is literally the only d-man in the entire league that I'd trade Hughes 1for1. I think Makar is better, but not by *that* much. It would actually be a somewhat even trade.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Tough Choice
But I choose Pettersson.

(also were Vancouver fans as annoying last year with pettersson as avalanche fans currently are with Makar?)

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Tough Choice
But I choose Pettersson.

(also were Vancouver fans as annoying last year with pettersson as avalanche fans currently are with Makar?)

Yes. Watching the dueling fanbases of Toronto and Vancouver talk about Petterrson vs Matthew's is something I am never going to be able to unsee. We also know how HF boards feels about Petterrson vs every good player in the game, because there was a poll for it.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
It will be interesting to see what the future holds. I think a question for Avalanche fans is if we would trade Byram for Hughes.

Known product vs unknown. I would be interested in the results of that question.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Makar is certainly better now, but it isn’t by a lot. I’ll take the guy who is a year younger in Hughes. I fully admit I might regret that, but at the end of the day I feel these are two fairly comparable players who will likely be compared against each other for years.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I’d take Hughes because there is a Jack Makar who will leave New Jersey are join his brother in Vancouver

because that will happen

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Makar is certainly better now, but it isn’t by a lot. I’ll take the guy who is a year younger in Hughes. I fully admit I might regret that, but at the end of the day I feel these are two fairly comparable players who will likely be compared against each other for years.
I feel like for the next decade in any given year either of them could outproduce the other.

But avs fans seem to have this need to think that Makar is vastly better than Hughes in every facet of the game. That he's on a totally different level.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I'd do it, but Makar or Hughes are probably going to be the best offensive dman the canucks have ever had either way...so just be happy with what we have.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Yeah..

I think if this call literally happened from either GM making the call, neither would accept purely on the basis of not wanting to be wrong.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Let's not forget Hughes is a year younger. I think they are about equal, but you can't ignore that shot on Makar and that straight forward explosiveness. Depends on which style you prefer.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I like how Colorado fans are so insecure they need to keep this up. I think they are subconsciously aware Makar is a bit propped up, while Hughes is going to surpass Makar in a year or two. Or they just haven't watched Hughes and they are just ignorant at how unique his abilities are. Either way, lulz.

Reactions: canuckking1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad