Would You Trade Hughes for Makar Straight Up?

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Yes, but Makar is literally the only d-man in the entire league that I'd trade Hughes 1for1. I think Makar is better, but not by *that* much. It would actually be a somewhat even trade.

I think you gotta make it for Dahlin too. Heiskanen I'd be on the fence as I think Hughes will end up better offensively, even if heiskanen will be better defensively.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
I like how Colorado fans are so insecure they need to keep this up. I think they are subconsciously aware Makar is a bit propped up, while Hughes is going to surpass Makar in a year or two. Or they just haven't watched Hughes and they are just ignorant at how unique his abilities are. Either way, lulz.
Or they are just excited and over hyping their guy.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I'm not sure why an Avs fan is coming into a Canucks' forum asking questions that have to be considered trolling or fishing for silly support, but will give the question all the consideration it deserves and ...

offer our two defencemen recently drafted high in the first round for the Avs two defencemen recently drafted high in the first round.

Hughes and OJ for Makar and BB.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I wouldn't. Like why would a GM give up one for the other when they're so close

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Yes. I would.

Not sure why this hypothetical that would never happen is being played out, though.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Nope.

Hughes is putting up comparable numbers while being a year younger and has more room for physical growth. His ceiling is a little bit higher IMO.

Pettersson
Hughes
Boeser
Miller
Horvat
Podkolzin
Demko

vs

MacKinnon
Makar
Rantanen
Landeskog
Byram
Graubuer

should be fun.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Many unknowns here, so I'd rather the Canucks stick w/ what they have; also, keep in mind that Quinn Hughes is a year younger. A year ago, would Cale Makar have been able to do what Quinn Hughes is doing presently?

Does the Avs system promote heavy use of a single d-man, instead of scoring by committee? Last year, there was a 32pt gap between Tyson Barrie & the Avs second highest scoring d-man. This year, Cale Makar is on pace to outscore the Avs next d-man pts leader by 48pts; whereas Quinn Hughes is on pace to outscore the next Canucks d-man pts leader by 22pts. Furthermore, to back the theory that the high-scoring output of a single Avs d-man could be system-related, is Tyson Barrie's inability to replicate what he did last season w/ his new team (it's a contract year for him, so he's surely motivated).

Great post, according to the main board, Makar Calder thread. A few Col fans indicated a year apart makes no difference. If you are a hockey fan and actually follow hockey , you will understand a year apart especially D+2 vs D+3 makes a Hugh difference. Either they are casual fans that they don't follow hockey or just tr o LL ing

Makar last year even said so himself he is not ready for the nhl and need another year to develope

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I think you gotta make it for Dahlin too. Heiskanen I'd be on the fence as I think Hughes will end up better offensively, even if heiskanen will be better defensively.

Makar, Dahlen and Heiskanen... I'd trade Hughes for any of them. Q is going to be great, but I think they'll all be slightly better.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
100% no,

Makar wouldn't have the same impact as Hughes has had on the Canucks.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I would. Makar is better in every facet of the game. He's even a year older than Hughes. Don't know how he managed to beat him in being born first as well.
I think I would do the trade based on what we have seen so far. But it is close.
Hughes is a year younger and we’ve only seen each of them play one third of a season. Also Makar plays on a more talented team and benefits from playing with MacKinnon. Both teams have a great young player so it’s a tough call.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I’m not sure the whole “how would Makar look if he was a year younger” makes a whole lot of sense given his playoff performance last year.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
All of you saying yes - tell me why? What makes him so much better in your eyes? There's 4 points separating the players.... not sure I understand why you would ever make that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad