Would you take Prime Lemieux, or Prime Crosby and Ovechkin

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Honestly I'm really surprised at how many votes Mario is getting here as getting a 2 top 20 prime guys of all time pretty much trumps having one of anyone even Wayne and Orr.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
12mil for each of Ovechkin and Crosby, 24mil cap hit for both players. 15mil cap hit for lemieux. I'll take lemieux and a 7mil cap over Crosby and ovechkin.

Without considering cap hits, ovechkin and Crosby.

Reactions: Thenameless

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I wouldn’t consider Lemieux in his prime in his first four years.

Prime Lemieux is arguably the best forward of all time. If we are transporting Lemieux to this league he’s a 200 pt player. Lemieux in his prime was a 200 pt player if we are transporting Crosby and Ovie to his era.

Only 1 player has ever hit 200 points (or more), and it's not Lemieux.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Lemieux if it's with cap since him+any decent player would be better. Without accounting for cap the duo.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
I would take Lemieux ( +any decent winger that cap space would allow).

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
McDavid is a better skater and every bit as good with the puck on his stick, Lemieux isn't blowing him out by 30 points despite his size advantage, sorry.

"every bit as good with the puck on his stick "

He isn't. Lemieux was something like 7 for 7 in his first 7 career penalty shot attempts. And we all know that shootouts/penalty shots statistically favor the goalie. Do you really believe that if they both took 100 penalty shots against say the same 10 goalies (10 on each one), that McDavid would come out of it with close to a tie? Because if you do, one would really have to question whether you saw Lemieux at his best. This is the one area where almost every knowledgeable hockey fan would pick Lemieux over Howe, Orr, Gretzky, or anyone else for that matter.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
"every bit as good with the puck on his stick "

He isn't. Lemieux was something like 7 for 7 in his first 7 career penalty shot attempts. And we all know that shootouts/penalty shots statistically favor the goalie. Do you really believe that if they both took 100 penalty shots against say the same 10 goalies (10 on each one), that McDavid would come out of it with close to a tie? Because if you do, one would really have to question whether you saw Lemieux at his best. This is the one area where almost every knowledgeable hockey fan would pick Lemieux over Howe, Orr, Gretzky, or anyone else for that matter.
He also played against some brutal goaltending early in his career, McDavid is absolutely as good with the puck on his stick he just doesn't have the same size even if he's faster.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
He also played against some brutal goaltending early in his career, McDavid is absolutely as good with the puck on his stick he just doesn't have the same size even if he's faster.

So answer the question. 100 penalty shots against the same goalies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Lemieux. I want to see if he can challenge/break Gretzky's records while healthy.

I believe Lemieux can be translated to "the best". It would be cool to see him the best in name and accolades.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Lemieux.

Honestly, I think we are getting to the point that most people don't realize how much better Mario was than any other player. I am 6'1 and Mario has 5 inches on me off skates. the top of my head is just at his chin.

On skates (again have had the privilege to be on the ice with him) he's absolutely ginormous. His stick alone makes his reach incredible.

Think Zeno Chara with the skill of McDavid.

EVERYONE would pick Lemieux.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
One thing people need to consider is that hockey rosters are not necessarily the sum of their parts.

Putting Ovie and Sid together could be a miracle combo. It could also be Gretzky and Hull in '96.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Mario quit. Multiple times.

Mario forced the Zubov trade. It was because Zubov didn't pass to Mario enough on the powerplay. Zubov went on to win a cup and have a hall of fame career. It was a terrible trade for the Penguins. Good for Mario's stats though.

Mario's ego couldn't fit in the room with Jagr's ego. So Jagr had to go too.

Sid never pulled any crap like that. Neither did Ovie. They wouldn't dream of it.

Zubov take is true. Jags take is bizarre.

I’ve never heard a negative thing said about Lemieux by his peers.

Lemieux also sat out Penguins games to be well rested for the 2002 Olympics.
Yep a real team player. As owner did he allow his employees/teammates the same luxury? Get real.

Lemieux was very selfish and self serving; a borderline quitter when situations didn't benefit him.

Last edited:
Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
One thing people need to consider is that hockey rosters are not necessarily the sum of their parts.

Putting Ovie and Sid together could be a miracle combo. It could also be Gretzky and Hull in '96.

Then put them on different lines like the Pens do with Malkin.

Mario was a great offensive force in his prime but Ovi and Crosby also were incredible offensive players who dominated play in their respective eras as well.

2 is always better than 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad