Would you take Prime Lemieux, or Prime Crosby and Ovechkin

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
So, the choice is between Lemieux alone or Crosby and Ovechkin?

If it's a two-for, can I take Howe and Orr?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I imagine prime Ovechkin being disgruntled as f*** playing second fiddle.

Imagine the best one on one forward playing in a league where the only way to slow him down is removed and the defensemen he is going up against are largely midgets compared to what he dealt with his entire career.

I love Ovi and Sid. But Mario is one of the few players you can say was on another level in terms of on ice play. There has never been a player before or after Lemieux that could basically do whatever he wanted on the ice given his size and ability.

Sid and Ovi vs pretty much every other forward in history I’m taking. I think you probably even say over Gretzky given Wayne’s size in today’s league might be a negative. Today’s game though is specifically built for Mario to excel in.

cool. Regardless, Sid and Ovie do not seem like this slam dunk fit as a leadership team.

I won't mention Crosby because it's you pens fans who say he's this great leader. As for OV, he was benched and asked to block shots by a clueless clown in Hunter, asked to switch positions by a rookie coach in Oates, asked to change his game by Trotz, asked by management to lose weight to adapt to the "new" faster NHL. He always did everything without ever complaining. I don't think either of them would have a problem being "second fiddle". And I'd trust them way more as leaders over Lemieux who was one of the biggest babies in NHL history. I'm going to complain that the league is too physical, but since no one listened to my whining, I'm going to quit. Zubov trade already mentioned. Etc, etc. Quit on your team. Great leadership.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
As were both the players mentioned except the other 2 have the individual accolades to backup those claims and Ovechkin never played on a stacked team like the Avalanche did either.

Also, anyone thinking Lemieux is just magically putting up 180 points in today's NHL is nuts. I'm sorry, this notion that players from yesteryear just waltz into today's game and perform even better is crazy. They didn't' stop making great hockey players in the 80's and 90's. Again, I'm not saying he isn't a better player all time but he isn't just obliterating the league, sorry.

lemieux playing with these sticks and with no two line offsides would crush Crosby and McDavids numbers.... as a broken shell of a player at 37 he put up 1.44 points per game in the height of the dead puck era, when systems and interference made scoring ridiculously impossible

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I won't mention Crosby because it's you pens fans who say he's this great leader. As for OV, he was benched and asked to block shots by a clueless clown in Hunter, asked to switch positions by a rookie coach in Oates, asked to change his game by Trotz, asked by management to lose weight to adapt to the "new" faster NHL. He always did everything without ever complaining. I don't think either of them would have a problem being "second fiddle". And I'd trust them way more as leaders over Lemieux who was one of the biggest babies in NHL history. I'm going to complain that the league is too physical, but since no one listened to my whining, I'm going to quit. Zubov trade already mentioned. Etc, etc. Quit on your team. Great leadership.

Only big babies I see around here are Caps fans in regards to Lemieux regularly stomping them.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

rogking65

May 13, 2016
I'd argue you live in nostalgia land with this type of take because it's nonsense. Crosby and Ovechkin in their primes would see their stats balloon and all 3 players you mentioned other than Jagr aren't near prime Crosby and Ovechkin.

It's no doubt Lemieux is the best player but if you think it's heads and shoulders better than either or, again, banana land.
just wondering how old you arel your answer may shed some insight on your arguments

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
As were both the players mentioned except the other 2 have the individual accolades to backup those claims and Ovechkin never played on a stacked team like the Avalanche did either.

Also, anyone thinking Lemieux is just magically putting up 180 points in today's NHL is nuts. I'm sorry, this notion that players from yesteryear just waltz into today's game and perform even better is crazy. They didn't' stop making great hockey players in the 80's and 90's. Again, I'm not saying he isn't a better player all time but he isn't just obliterating the league, sorry.
If McDavid is pacing 155. Lemieux is hitting 180

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Imagine Mario's size and skill in an era where serious athletic training and nutrition is the norm for kids at like 12 years old hoping to play professional sports. Then putting him in a league where a stick to the mitts is an automatic hooking penalty and physical play is almost non-existent.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Peak Lemieux made $550,000 that year.

Peak Crosby + Ovi have cap hits of 18.2M

Gimme peak Lemieux at league minimum

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Mario without question.
Mario dominated the league when you were allowed to do pretty much anything on the name of defense. With today's obstruction rules, no two line pass rule and the league's move to 5'10" 185 lb "defensemen" Lemieux would shatter every single record on the books. This is from a Ranger fan who hates that MF the same way I did 35 years ago. That guy was a stone cold killer of a player. Gretzky I think used his teammates a little better but as far as the single perfect hockey player I don't see how you pick anyone ahead of Mario. Crosby/Ovi together still doesn't get it done for me.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Sid and Ovechkin have wonderful primes. But they are not anything special. Their longevity in terms of Sid’s championships and ability to dominate and Ovie’s sheer ability to score goals over his career are what makes them top ten all time players, not their primes.

Man, I thought your takes on Sid were awful.

No offense but this is kind of Ironic. Sid and OV absolutely have specials primes and peaks.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
1st in goals, GPG, pts, PPG. Hart and lindsay winner. Other than Lemieux, name the 90s and 00s "players" who did that?
Crosby , Ovechkin haven't and won't reach Lemieux's level .
Jagr in his first 16 seasons produced stats if not at a higher level then a level equal to Crosby and Ovechkin

Last edited:

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
just wondering how old you arel your answer may shed some insight on your arguments
42, my first important hockey memory was sitting in my underwear in Sauble Beach with my dad watching the Canada Cup in 87. I'm not young, just not living with rose colored nostalgia glasses on like so many here.

Hockey players aren't just worse in 2021 than in 1980, sorry.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
If McDavid is pacing 155. Lemieux is hitting 180
McDavid is a better skater and every bit as good with the puck on his stick, Lemieux isn't blowing him out by 30 points despite his size advantage, sorry.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I'm really having a hard time putting Ovechkin and "leadership" in the same sentence. All-time great goal-scorer yes, but he is hardly among the pantheon of greatest team captains...
Lemieux would have demanded to be traded if Hunter did to him what he did to Ovechkin. He's done everything his franchise has asked him to despite repeated failings by the players around him to perform remotely adequately during his prime when he needed them to.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad