Would you take Prime Lemieux, or Prime Crosby and Ovechkin

Who do you choose?

• Total voters

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
A month ago I asked if would you take Prime Gretzky or Prime Sid/Malkin. Gretzky won that poll in convincing fashion. How would things change if we swap Gretzky and Malkin for Lemieux and Ovechkin. Would you choose Mario, or the Sid/Ovie duo if given the choice?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I think in the NHL today having two talents like Ovechkin and Crosby would be more effective than having Lemieux. You're talking about two top-10 players of all time at their best vs a top-3 player of all time. In today's NHL, depth of elite and high end talent win Cups.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lemieux was great but we are talking about a generational player in Sid and easily one of the best goalscorers in NHL history. Imagine a line with those 2 and a net front presence in their prime?

Reactions: slapKing

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If one player made that much of a difference then Lemieux's team would've made the playoffs in one of his first 4 seasons in a 21 team league.

I wouldn’t consider Lemieux in his prime in his first four years.

Prime Lemieux is arguably the best forward of all time. If we are transporting Lemieux to this league he’s a 200 pt player. Lemieux in his prime was a 200 pt player if we are transporting Crosby and Ovie to his era.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murzu and Habano

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm not surprised to see people voting for Lemieux, even though it's clearly the wrong answer. Why pass up almost 250-260+ points for 140-150+ points?

This isn't basketball, people.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This is a really interesting though experiment. I have to go with Lemieux. If we're talking all three of these guys at their peak, I believe #66 + any other first line caliber player is going to outproduce Sid and Ovie.

Prime Crosby and Ovechkin run their own lines and each score 100+ pts while boosting their teammates production as well.

Lemieux is easily the best player, but he's still only one player.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is a really interesting though experiment. I have to go with Lemieux. If we're talking all three of these guys at their peak, I believe #66 + any other first line caliber player is going to outproduce Sid and Ovie.

Why are you assuming the first line caliber player is on Lemieux's side and not on the other side?

I think this is the duo and not remotely close. I also would take Sid/Malkin hands down over Gretzky if when you say "prime" you mean healthy versions, so I disagree with that poll.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'm not surprised to see people voting for Lemieux, even though it's clearly the wrong answer. Why pass up almost 250-260+ points for 140-150+ points?

Look at what Lemieux did with Rob Brown and Keven Stevens. It isn't just 140 or 150 now is it? Most hockey is not played with a man advantage, and Lemieux will improve his linemates much more than the other two can.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

How do Crosby/Ovi hit 250-260+ and Lemieux cap out at 140-150?

Your numbers are way off.

You could have made the same point with more realistic numbers

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Lemieux is a top line by himself. The money you save by putting a Rob Brown next to him and watch him score 49 goals is too good to pass. Crosby & Ovechkin would make a team too top heavy to match a Mario + better support cast.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Prime Crosby and Ovechkin run their own lines and each score 100+ pts while boosting their teammates production as well.

Lemieux is easily the best player, but he's still only one player.
Ovechkin has not scored or sniffed 100 points pace since 2010

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad