Would you rather have this Leafs or Jets group of four young forwards?

Which group would you take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This may get taken as an insult, but it is seriously not meant be one.

Why are people so high on Hyman now? Not saying he isn’t a good player but I just remember a lot of people last year saying that Matthews was carrying him/Matthews was stuck playing with him. Has he improved a great deal?

Just want a legitimate answer without this turning into a flame war.
He's doing much more offensively. But he's still not particularly good.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
you can tell a lot of leafs fans don't understand the importance of these players because of depth
I hear leafs fans talk shit about hyman and even brown

guys like Lowry are praised because of the matchup he faces and physical presents he brings on the ice
armia as well has offensive upside, but has found himself usefully in a depth role, but you could probably use him top 6 if need be

roslovic will get there. it's his first nhl season
Winnipeg doesn't like to rush their projects
let them learn the game

I guess leafs, likely that all of them stay bottom 6 players, by talent or depth.

roslovic is projected top 6
what're you talking about

right now he's playing on winder as a depth role because the jets are got centres down the middle and the teams kind of "stacked" atm
it's not gonna be easy to beat established nhlers that easily

ehlers, laine, wheeler, perreault, Connor

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He's still the best PKer on a team with a real good PK. And 14 goals isn't too shabby.
Yeah I'm not doubting his PK ability, forechecking, or overall two way game. I just don't think he'd have much production without Matthews and Nylander and the like. He's a 3rd liner.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Surprised by the results. Makes me wonder how many posters actually watch the Leafs and Jets. The Jets are my 2nd team and I can say with 100% certainty that the Leafs group are better players.
That's because the Leafs are your favorite team.
Give me the Jet players.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
you can tell a lot of leafs fans don't understand the importance of these players because of depth
I hear leafs fans talk **** about hyman and even brown

guys like Lowry are praised because of the matchup he faces and physical presents he brings on the ice
armia as well has offensive upside, but has found himself usefully in a depth role, but you could probably use him top 6 if need be

roslovic will get there. it's his first nhl season
Winnipeg doesn't like to rush their projects
let them learn the game

roslovic is projected top 6
what're you talking about

right now he's playing on winder as a depth role because the jets are got centres down the middle and the teams kind of "stacked" atm
it's not gonna be easy to beat established nhlers that easily

ehlers, laine, wheeler, perreault, Connor

My point exactly ^
Yes Roslovic will be bottom 6. Who is he going to replace in the top 6?

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
My point exactly ^
Yes Roslovic will be bottom 6. Who is he going to replace in the top 6?

we're hoping little eventually when he's ready. but right bow the jets are looking to make a Stanley cup push

whether you agree they can make it or not. Chevy didn't push for brassard and statsny to win a round
so right now he's on the wing
maybe he starts seeing more time as centre next year

plus just because he plays bottom 6 doesn't mean he's a bottom 6 player
that's like saying Malkin is a 2nd line centre because he plays on the 2nd line

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
it's funny because leafs fans always used the narrative you pick the centre over wings

well here you have 3 centres and a winger vs 4 wingers

what changed the narrative ?

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
Reactions: bionic

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Off topic but I still would not do this trade as a Leaf fan. Dermott is just way too valuable. In fact, among all NHL defensemen with 10+ games played since the All Star break, Dermott leads in 5v5 points per 60.

it's not like the leafs are perfect . they still need some work

having another defenseman like trouba would do great for the leafs
it's working well for winnipeg and he doesn't even wanna play here lol

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Without Matthews how good is Hyman really?

Serious question

His game would probably be exactly the same since most of his offence is generate from his own hustle and forecheck.

If he didn't have absolute stone hands he would probably have an extra 15+ goals a season with the way Matthews feeds him all the time.

Likely to get the same amount of points / performance playing on any of the top 3 lines for us with any players around him.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
it's not like the leafs are perfect . they still need some work

having another defenseman like trouba would do great for the leafs
it's working well for winnipeg and he doesn't even wanna play here lol
I agree they need work, especially on the back end. However I don't think Trouba is worth parting with Dermott. Dermott may even end up just as good or better than him. The Leafs have a long window and don't need to part with a valuable asset like Dermott to get a player of Trouba's calibre.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I agree they need work, especially on the back end. However I don't think Trouba is worth parting with Dermott. Dermott may even end up just as good or better than him. The Leafs have a long window and don't need to part with a valuable asset like Dermott to get a player of Trouba's calibre.

Lol

Reactions: snowkiddin

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

that doesn't make sense

so you take the gamble that dermott ends up being better than trouba while he currently isn't? when trouba is a young defenseman who plays on a top pairing for the the jets?

because you don't want to part ways with players that are replaceable?

dermott and brown are easily more replaceable than trouba
every team in the league has prospects that could replace those 2
not every team has the prospects to replace trouba tho

dratbunnies

Nov 23, 2009
Winnipeg Manitoba
This is what I was talking about earlier, Leaf fans expect the compared players to be vastly better or else it’s “to close to call”(/ even/ in the Leaf players favour).

Roslovic has more PPG in the NHL and PPG in the AHL this season, he is actually much better than anyone in this poll and has the highest ceiling.
Good thing "too close to call" is a perfectly legitimate answer :p

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
In the Matthews’ threads, Matthews makes the players around him better.

In this thread, Hyman is the exact same without Matthews.

Heavens.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
In the Matthews’ threads, Matthews makes the players around him better.

In this thread, Hyman is the exact same without Matthews.

Heavens.

I have no issue with Hyman, I personally think he is probably the most valuable player in the poll as he is very good defensively and helps Matthews allot(he’s very underrated in Toronto), but yeah allot of Leaf fans arguments take a 360 when it comes to the next individual comparison. My main issue is all these Leaf fans saying that basically all of the Leafs players are just as good as Roslovic because there numbers are close(they’re not really, they down Play the word better and more, ie “he only has ___ more ___, so how is he better?”). This is why I think it’s hard to find a better player than a Toronto player, because it’s always virtually a tie or they are better if it’s close(look at Nylander/ Ehlers, Ehlers has out produced Nylander last year and now this year and there are plenty of Leaf fans that say Nylander is better and the majority says it’s a tie). The only way you can beat them is if your player is significantly better(but then there is a slim of excuses behind that as well).

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Using the SKATR comparison tool: Tableau Public

Armia vs Hyman

Edge to Armia, especially defensively.

Copp vs Brown

Copp easily the worst Jet here, can’t score. Even then, he’s miles better than Brown at shot suppression despite heavy defensive zone starts.

Lowry vs Kapanen

Kapanen looks OK here but Lowry’s one of the best defensive forwards in the league. Oh, and he’s a centre — we all know how valuable they are.

Roslovic vs Johnsson

Johnsson’s only played 5 NHL games in this, his D+5 year. He’ll turn 24 in November, while Roslovic will still be 21. Johnsson doesn’t show up in the SKATR tool, so I decided to compare Roslovic to a top 6 Leafs winger also born in 1997 and drafted in 2015:

Edge to Marner, but Roslovic holds up well on several fronts (Game score, CF%, xGF%, 5v5 points). Might turn out to be more than a depth player in the long run.

Lowry and Armia look better than any of the Leafs in this poll, especially Lowry who’s just a force defensively. Roslovic gets the small sample size warning but his numbers aren’t far off Marner’s 5v5. Jets also have 2 successful centres here and another (Roslovic) who played C in the AHL and may move to the middle next year.

So it’s the Jets, easily.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets wuhuuu!

I bet Bobcock would Love Lowry on his team.

:)

Damn right he would love Lowry, Lowry’s a monster defensively, physically, fights, center, 6’5” tall, only 24 years old and can score at a 3rd line rate. Perfect 3rd liner.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
that doesn't make sense

so you take the gamble that dermott ends up being better than trouba while he currently isn't? when trouba is a young defenseman who plays on a top pairing for the the jets?

because you don't want to part ways with players that are replaceable?

dermott and brown are easily more replaceable than trouba
every team in the league has prospects that could replace those 2
not every team has the prospects to replace trouba tho
Dermott has been one of the Leafs best 4 defenseman since being called up. He's only 21. Lol at every team in the league having a prospect like Dermott though.

Reactions: bionic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad