Would You Rather Draft: Crosby And Malkin Or McDavid And Ovechkin?

Which combination would you rather draft?

• Total voters

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Can you imagine how many 2 on 1s would McDavid and young Ovie get per game and how many times would Ovechkin one time those to goals?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
If we don’t know how their injuries will turn out then we shouldn’t know how their careers have turned out so far either ie the cups. I don’t think you can have it both ways.

With that in mind, it’s probably McDavid and Ovi.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
OP is saying you're drafting them at their actual draft age....so no way to know what the future holds re: injuries
Sure we can, durability is an actual physical quality and I'm pretty sure we're allowed to use hindsight in the poll

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Crosby slightly > Ovechkin
Mcdavid >> Malkin

Or/

Ovechkin > Malkin
Mcdavid = Crosby with the potential for Mcdavid to surpass him
I don't think you can say Mcdavid >> Malkin. His career is obviously off to a fabulous start, but he hasn't reached Malkin's peak level yet. He may get there eventually, but Malkin in 2011-12 lapped the field in the art ross race (109 pts in 75 games) and also scored 50 goals. Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Mcdavid are all similar caliber players, but Mcdavid hasn't reached the level the first three have peaked at yet.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I don't think you can say Mcdavid >> Malkin. His career is obviously off to a fabulous start, but he hasn't reached Malkin's peak level yet. He may get there eventually, but Malkin in 2011-12 lapped the field in the art ross race (109 pts in 75 games) and also scored 50 goals. Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Mcdavid are all similar caliber players, but Mcdavid hasn't reached the level the first three have peaked at yet.
That's fair, only reason I say Mcdavid is that he already been the best player in the league for 2/3 of his first 3 seasons, whilst also playing on a pretty poor team as the #1 go to guy. Whereas Malkin took 4 healthy seasons (by the age 25) to get his second art Ross, and McDavid is only 21 right now.

In no way a shot against Malkin, but I think it speaks tremendously to see how much Mcdavid has accomplished as an individual on a bad hockey team by the age 21.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Malkin has been so injury riddled, that it doesn't matter really if McDavid never reaches that peak (which I would be surprised if he didn't), if we presume that McDavid can be even average in the durabilty department he should handily be more valuable for the team.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Crosby/Malkin

They are the two best playoff performers of their generation and much better than their trophy cases let on, given all their injuries. Healthy, it's those two.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
That's fair, only reason I say Mcdavid is that he already been the best player in the league for 2/3 of his first 3 seasons, whilst also playing on a pretty poor team as the #1 go to guy. Whereas Malkin took 4 healthy seasons (by the age 25) to get his second art Ross, and McDavid is only 21 right now.

In no way a shot against Malkin, but I think it speaks tremendously to see how much Mcdavid has accomplished as an individual on a bad hockey team by the age 21.
Mcdavid also doesn't have to deal with prime Crosby/Ovechkin either. Remove Ovechkin, and Malkin has 2 art rosses in his first 3 seasons and 3 total. We'll have to see how Mcdavid ages as well. 12 years in and Malkin is still elite and a top 3 player. And that's not even mentioning his 165 points in 158 playoff games. It's very possible Mcdavid ends up better but imo it's a bit premature to say its a certainty, let alone >>.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Malkin is the best of them all, but also the most injury prone. Injuries aside this is easy - Malkin/Crosby

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Malkin is the best of them all, but also the most injury prone. Injuries aside this is easy - Malkin/Crosby

Yep, him beating Crosby in points for the first time since 11/12 and in both points and PPG for only the 2nd time in his career really cements this claim. Of course you have to ignore their playoff resumes and the fact that every single Pens coach has given Crosby the #1C role and more defensive responsibilities.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Crosby/Malkin for now but McDavid could make me change my mind in the coming years. His finish to the season was nothing short of incredible.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Sure we can, durability is an actual physical quality and I'm pretty sure we're allowed to use hindsight in the poll

Absolutely. If we're going strictly by the pre-draft hype, then the list goes:

Crosby/McDavid
Ovechkin
Malkin

So I guess the only correct pick is two #1 OA's against 1#OA and #2OA.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Absolutely. If we're going strictly by the pre-draft hype, then the list goes:

Crosby/McDavid
Ovechkin
Malkin

So I guess the only correct pick is two #1 OA's against 1#OA and #2OA.

I would rank them on pre-draft hype:

Crosby
OV/McDavid (tossup with maybe the Russian dynamic coming into play to push OV below)
Malkin

Based on what we know about their on-ice performances:

Crosby
OV/Malkin/McDavid*

* given his age, a good chance he surpasses OV and Malkin, and possibly Crosby

So given what we know (assuming healthy): Crosby/Malkin (especially if you like two C's instead of a C and a W)

If you want to roll the dice: McDavid/OV

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
McDavid and Ovechkin because the other duo is more injury prone. We do not know if McDavid is yet, but we do know that Crosby and especially Malkin have been.
What a post. We do know that they have won 3 cups and been to the finals 4 times overall.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This is actually super tough.

If we can ignore health issues - id pick Crosby and Malkin. If we consider the health issues we know they had - tempted to take the other 2.

It's funny because you already get the sense he will be healthier than Crosby and Malkin. He has now played 2 full seasons in a row while Crosby has actually never managed that before, he played 81 once and 80 another time.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
McDavid will win more Art Rosses and Harts than Crosby, but Crosby would have won more of each than he's won if not for health problems during his prime. It won't be easy for McDavid to outdo Crosby in the playoffs in a career-sense.

Honestly unless he gets a real decent team around him pretty soon it will be next to impossible to match Crosby's playoff accolades in terms of both personal and team success. I believe he will eventually surpass even what would've been for Crosby in the regular season though, I think he is going to put up a few ridiculous full seasons in the next 5 years.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
This is really tough. With Crosby and Malkin actually playing together, we know what to expect, and that is cups and dominance. McDavid Ovechkin sounds incredible. I actually think McDavid is dominating in a way that not even Crosby did in his prime, and Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of this generation and will flirt with all time status. However we don't know if it will work as well on the ice as we imagine it could.

I'll go McDavid and Ovechkin because it's a what-if that sounds ultra entertaining, but it's stupidly close.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I would rank them on pre-draft hype:

Crosby
OV/McDavid (tossup with maybe the Russian dynamic coming into play to push OV below)
Malkin

Based on what we know about their on-ice performances:

Crosby
OV/Malkin/McDavid*

* given his age, a good chance he surpasses OV and Malkin, and possibly Crosby

So given what we know (assuming healthy): Crosby/Malkin (especially if you like two C's instead of a C and a W)

If you want to roll the dice: McDavid/OV

I'd say McDavid was more hyped than Ovechkin. Maybe bit less than Crosby. Although the presence of social media made it feel like McDavid was at least as hyped as Sid. Although he probably wasn't quite as good prospect.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Yep, him beating Crosby in points for the first time since 11/12 and in both points and PPG for only the 2nd time in his career really cements this claim. Of course you have to ignore their playoff resumes and the fact that every single Pens coach has given Crosby the #1C role and more defensive responsibilities.

Pts/60 leaders since 11-12 (minimum 50 games played):

11-12: Malkin 4.15
13-14: Malkin 3.59
14-15: Seguin 3.33
15-16: Kane 3.80
16-17: Malkin 3.74
17-18: Malkin 3.97

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad