Would you become a fan of a new Toronto team?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think a lot of the "$*#@ anyone who changes team" crowd is under the delusion that every Leaf fan lives in Toronto. There are many, many fans in Hamilton who are Leaf fans because its essentially a hometown team, but I can guarantee they would (as would/will I) if a team ever came to Hamilton.

I can't understand why anyone would switch from the Leafs to Toronto 2 however, or why people want to switch based on the Leafs being bad. I've only followed hockey since the year after the '05 lockout (not that long in comparison with the average fan obviously) and I've been a Leaf fan 100% of the time.

I'm from Toronto, so the only way I ever would consider cheering for another team is with a Toronto 2 team. Even then, I grew up a Leafs fan, so the Leafs have first dibs in keeping me.

But I also understand that Leafs Nation is not actually a nation. They are not entitled to anyone's blind devotion. If there is a Toronto 2 team, and MLSE turns into a Ballard-type regime (not just bad management but mean-spirited jerks lasting for 20 years), then you can bet I'd switch to Toronto 2.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Theres a difference between going to games and switching team allegiance. I've gone a Sens game when I've been in Ottawa, but I sure as hell am not a Sens fan.

I see now, perhaps I am confusing a fan with a supporter. I would always cheer for the Leafs but I also would be attending the Toronto 2 games if tickets were easier to come by. For instance if I could just go to a game without planning a week or more in advance and just having to pay face value.

Next problem is I need a rooting interest when I watch sports, so naturally I would be rooting for the hometeam. Unless a win by Toronto2 somehow derailed a Leaf playoff spot. Naturally I would cheer Leafs when they played each other.

LaCarriere

A few things to consider;

1. Where would this new team play? I'm sure a new arena would be in order?

2. Would they be a division rival to the Leafs? Eastern conference rivals? New team in the west? In MLB the two NY teams are in the opposite leagues. Same with the White Sox and Cubs. in the NFL the Jets / Giants are in opposite conferences.

The thing to me, as not even a leafs fan, but just a hockey fan, is it's probably one of the most sensical places for an expansion team, especially for the health of the league. Even with diehard leafs fans not supporting another Toronto team, it would probably sell out every game. There's enough hockey fans in the area that they would just buy tickets to see a game, especially if they were affordable, and especially if they were in the same division and had a rivalry against the Leafs. What makes more sense? Expanding in Vegas or Seattle or some sunbelt city that's sure to fail 5 years later once the puppy love phase wears off, or adding another team to Toronto?

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
What's the over/under on how many Toronto 2 "fans" would jump ship the second the leafs are in the playoffs and Toronto 2 is not? 99%?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
When Mats Sundin hit the post and in, I said I would never love another team in the NHL.
I like many, I watch many, I cheer for a lot,
but the Leafs will forever remain my one and only.

if Cubs fans can still be passionate and loyal after 100+ years, I think i can hold out a bit longer.

Leafspoison*

What's the over/under on how many Toronto 2 "fans" would jump ship the second the leafs are in the playoffs and Toronto 2 is not? 99%?

Same question:

Whats the over/under on how many Leafs fans would jump ship the second the other Toronto team being in the playoffs and the Leafs aren't?

Right now, the odds are greater that the Leafs wouldn't be in the playoffs. Just sayin'

Would the new team not make the playoffs in 10 years? I highly doubt that.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Would depend on the market. I live in the GTA so i'd rather commute to markham or downsview than Downtown to watch a game.

But i'd support the new Toronto team as soon as they get here.

MLSE has proven over and over again that they don't care about fans and don't have a direction for the leafs.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Hopefully the Leafs doit right and start drafting.. I don't think the BOG realize how serious this is. I personally would never stop cheering for the Leafs but I understand why people feel that way.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Of course not. If I wanted to be a fan of another team I would be already.

We have this thing called the internet now. You can watch whoever you want.

Gambl0r83*

This is funny to me.
I am from Edmonton, and a die hard Oiler fan.
We have been in the basement for the past 8 years. That's a bottom 3 feeder for 8 years for the exception of the shortened season.

It was only last year that fans started throwing Jersey's onto the ice, after 7 years of being literally last place in the entire league, a joke in the NHL.

If we win every single game the rest of the season, we will still miss the playoffs.

The Maple Leafs are 22-23-3 with 34 games left.
5 wins out of a playoff spot
Losing streaks happen (we just had one where Oilers won 1 of 19 games)

But for T-dot fans to throw jerseys onto the ice at this point, is just ridiculous. Absolute ludicrous

If we switched spots in the standings, Edmonton would be going nuts. Our crowd would be filled with enthusiasm, hope, and purpose.
Jerseys would become more expensive due to supply and demand.

Edmonton started throwing Jerseys last year when they were last place with absolutely no playoff hopes in any sense. We had 3 first overall scoring dynamos and remained one of the 5 lowest scoring teams in the NHL. The throwing of the jerseys was a 7 year long compilation of being in the toilet and locked in the basement with little to cheer for.

Toronto goes on a streak, they're in the playoffs, simple as that. The Jerseys need to stay on the fans and the support has to be there.

If fans are throwing Jerseys at this point, man, I would hate to see what Toronto fans would do if we switched spots, regarding the last 8 years.

Scary

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
This is funny to me.
We have been in the basement for the past 8 years. That's a bottom 3 feeder for 8 years for the exception of the shortened season.

It was only last year that fans started throwing Jersey's onto the ice, after 7 years of being literally last place in the entire league, a joke in the NHL.

If we win every single game the rest of the season, we will still miss the playoffs.

But for T-dot fans to throw jerseys onto the ice at this point, is just ridiculous. Absolute ludicrous

If we switched spots in the standings, Edmonton would be going nuts. Our crowd would be filled with enthusiasm, hope, and purpose.

Edmonton started throwing Jerseys last year when they were last place with absolutely no playoff hopes in any sense. We had 3 first overall scoring dynamos and remained one of the 5 lowest scoring teams in the NHL. The throwing of the jerseys was a 7 year long compilation of being in the toilet and locked in the basement with little to cheer for.

Toronto goes on a streak, they're in the playoffs, simple as that. The Jerseys need to stay on the fans and the support has to be there.

If fans are throwing Jerseys at this point, man, I would hate to see what Toronto fans would do if we switched spots, regarding the last 8 years.

Scary

What? I want to be in the Oilers position. The problem is being stuck in the middle where you aren't drafting high enough and aren't making the playoffs. If they would have done it right, we would be drafting in the bottom 3 instead being in no mans land.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Scary

Get off your high horse.

The fact is that the Leafs haven't won a playoff round in a longer period of time than Edmonton and that BOTH teams have been incredibly mismanaged for a decade.

The Leafs are and have been spending to the cap for years, and we've been making "win now" moves almost every season since 2009 with the exception of when we were sellers at the 2011 trade deadline. A team that for 5+ years has been trading picks, spending to the cap, etc, should EXPECT to be at minimum a regular playoff team. Leafs are committed to being sub-par, there's no other way to look at it. A half decade of "win now" moves with zero winning involved.

Woohoo, the Leafs finish higher in the standings than Edmonton. We've also had to watch two of our highest picks go to another team, and then we ourselves have never been able to draft top 3.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
"I will go down with thiiiiiis ship. I won't put my hands up, and surrender!"

It's a "you don't choose your family" type of situation for me.

Losing builds character and we all know that chicks dig character.

Last edited:

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
Hate is such a mean word. Doesn't matter who you cheer for, the beer tastes the same. chillax and enjoy your family. Don't let the stresses of the Leafs bring you down.

I'm perfectly "chillaxed". Probably the least stressed person on planet earth. Just mean if you are jumping ship, you probably aren't someone I want to associate with.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would love to see a 2nd NHL team in Toronto.

Then Kessel to be dealt to Toronto 2.

Then diehard Leaf fans can continue to cheer for the Leafs and Kessel fans can move over to support Toronto 2 giving them their own fan base.

The answer to the question if you cheer for the chest on the front or the name on the back when location is no longer the determining factor will be resolved.

PS. I live in the West and the Leafs will always be my team as its been all my life and location not a factor for me. A 2nd team in Toronto would be no different then putting it anywhere else in the world.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Depends on the ownership.

I have been saying for awhile the most likely outcome of the Rogers/Bell unholy alliance in owning the Leafs is an explosion that tears them apart. One will end up owning the majority of the Leafs and the other will end up with the second Toronto franchise (that plays in the ACC, which will likely remain jointly owned) through an expansion process.

However, if that doesn't happen and a good owner emerges with a second team there's an excellent chance I switch my allegiance to the new franchise. I know that was my plan when Jim Ballsillie wanted to bring the Coyotes to Hamilton. At that time I was tired and fed up with the Teachers Pension Plan ownership and the clowns running the team.

Leafspoison*

There are a lot more Yesses than I thought there would be. Goes to show you how the fans are getting tired of being screwed over by the leafs time and time again.

For those that said they don't even want another team in toronto don't even make sense. Another team would force MLSE to lower the ticket prices because of competition or face losing a buttload of fans. Thats a good thing.

I would be personally happy with a new Toronto team with private ownership. This corporate ownership nonsense is pure garbage.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
This is funny to me.

Scary

Its more than just the last 8 years. The Oilers made it to the SCFinals less than a decade ago. Last time the Leafs made it to the finals was nearly 50 years ago. Edmonton also won a **** ton of cups in the 80's and got to experience having legends on their team such as Gretzky, Messier on their team.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Its more than just the last 8 years. The Oilers made it to the SCFinals less than a decade ago. Last time the Leafs made it to the finals was nearly 50 years ago. Edmonton also won a **** ton of cups in the 80's and got to experience having legends on their team such as Gretzky, Messier on their team.

The Oilers have not had a good team for over 20 years, they did get to the finals in 06 and that was because of the new shoot out rule , the Oilers sucked, but were good in the shoot out, which got them the extra fake wins to the playoffs (barely) and Roloson got hot at the right time, but not hot enough to win it all. They haven't been a good team since the 80's, they did win one cup in the last 25 years, which is more than Toronto, but certainly not recent past.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
People would go to games because the team have to start off with cheaper tickets until it does develop a fan base but until their teams skill level matches or exceeds the Leafs I don't see MLSE changing anything. If the team ever makes the playoffs and the Leafs miss out I think a lot of people will root for them.

I would watch them and depending on who they are playing I may root for them. I am a hockey fan, not just a Leafs fan so I would enjoy seeing a team having to literally start from scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad