Would you become a fan of a new Toronto team?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wow right on the Leafs own board 33% entertain the thought. If this continues as more vote, well, I would be concerned if I were MLSE. This is a rabid leaf fan zone. I didn't look at results until after my previous post, am shocked.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Became a Leaf fan because of my dad.

Will die a Leafs fan.

Anyone voting YES disgusts me and isn't a real fan. The mere idea people can just switch teams like the flick of a switch baffles me.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011

Will die a Leafs fan.

Anyone voting YES disgusts me and isn't a real fan. The mere idea people can just switch teams like the flick of a switch baffles me.

In fairness, feeling exasperated, jaded, and weary after years upon years of supporting an indefensible laughingstock of an organization ≠ the flick of a switch.

It's not like these people are willing to jump ship after a tiny bit of bad weather. The Leafs are basically cuddled up next to the Titanic right now.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
No. But I live in Germany and am not the right person to answer this. I would be interested and hoping that the other team does good, but I will be a Leaf forever, even if it doesn't make much sense to cheer for a team that far away.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
The mere idea people can just switch teams like the flick of a switch baffles me.

Alot of people could easily ask us how we can continue to support this team after all the crap they have put us through too.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Will die a Leafs fan.

Shows pretty weak character. They aren't really fans to begin with.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
In fairness, feeling exasperated, jaded, and weary after years upon years of supporting an indefensible laughingstock of an organization ≠ the flick of a switch.

It's not like these people are willing to jump ship after a tiny bit of bad weather. The Leafs are basically cuddled up next to the Titanic right now.

Man the ***** up and go down with the ship

Where did this idea come from that signing up to be a fan of a team meant success was guaranteed?

You don't get to enjoy the good times if you aren't around for the tough ones.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Man the ***** up and go down with the ship

Where did this idea come from that signing up to be a fan of a team meant success was guaranteed?

You don't get to enjoy the good times if you aren't around for the tough ones.

Where did this idea come from that you should support anyone or anything who hasn't earned your support just because you were born into it?

I'd rather actually enjoy watching a different team than cling to a pathetic franchise because of some misguided, toxic notion of loyalty.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Shows pretty weak character. They aren't really fans to begin with.

Yep.

I'd prefer the morons who throw jerseys on the ice, get banned, go home, sleep, sober up, wake up, and then regret their decision the night before.

Maybe that's the European in me - but to even fathom changing teams, is disgusting

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Where did this idea come from that you should support anyone or anything who hasn't earned your support just because you were born into it?

I'd rather actually enjoy watching a different team than cling to a pathetic franchise because of some misguided, toxic notion of loyalty.

Says the guy about to sit down and the Leafs - Sens game as a Leafs fan.

I'm hoping you realize the ridiculousness of your post on your own, based on how you spend the next 2.5 hours, and don't need me to point it out for you.

There's nothing toxic about loyalty

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What terrible burdens have the Leafs put you through? Clicking off the TV before the game ended?

:handclap::handclap:

If some are SO emotionally invested in the team that their lack of success leads tangible negative effects on everyday life, they don't have a choice - they can't support another team even if they wanted too.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I was born into Leafs Nation.

Had I had the ability to choose at that young age, I would have never tied myself to this epic fail of a franchise.

I cannot turn away now. It's too late for me.

But I wish I was never a Leaf fan to begin with.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Would I become a fan?

Hey, totally possible.

But it would really depend on some important factors and I would not switch teams. Leafs are my team until death, but I could entertain the idea of following a second team depending on a few factors:

#1 Does this new Toronto team play in the Western Conference? If not then I'll probably hate them more than Sens/Habs etc. so right off the bat no thanks!

#2 Who owns them?

#3 name/logo/colours etc. better be amazing and classy.

Also what year does this happen and how many time have the Leafs missed the playoffs at that point?

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
Its a 30/70 split right now. It will change when more people vote.

I think if the new team won a cup within 5 years (just being hypothetical here), then you would see a mass exodus to that team from MLSE.

I would switch so fast it would make you head spin. 48 years has been enough for me thanks.

Has an expansion team EVER won the cup within 5 years of their birth?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Honestly, if they treated their fans better and were honest and didn't give me the irk that they are just money grubbing dicks I would seriously consider it.

My biggest problem with the leafs right now is that they are wasting money left right and center and they charge a million dollars for tickets to see a team that has 1 line worth of NHL level players. They need to be honest about their product, stop giving tickets to stupid corporations and sell them to fans. Stop making the Toronto fanbase look bad by continually allowing the ACC to be a mausoleum because people care more about their sushi and talking with business partners than they do the team that they are supposed to be there to cheer for. The sooner they address the fans and honestly state their intention the sooner the jersey throwing will stop. Just admit the team is a damn mess and state which direction the team is going and the fans will be more understanding than when they say, "if there is a deal that makes sense and makes our team better, we aren't afraid to do it".

Makes me sick to hear the exact statement every time someone asks them WTF IS GOING ON, TRADE SOMEONE ARE YOU TRYING TO GET BETTER. Give us something other than some slogan, that is what should be painted on the dressing room walls, not burn the boats or whatever the hell they have on the wall now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad