Would you become a fan of a new Toronto team?

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Says the guy about to sit down and the Leafs - Sens game as a Leafs fan.

I'm hoping you realize the ridiculousness of your post on your own, based on how you spend the next 2.5 hours, and don't need me to point it out for you.
There's nothing ridiculous about it, and you apparently missed the point. Finding them pathetic doesn't preclude an emotional investment in them (though that investment is dwindling).

Ftr, I turned the game off after the Hoffman goal.

There's nothing toxic about loyalty
Loyalty is not a virtue when the entity you're loyal to has a largely negative impact on your life.

I'd love to hear the advice you'd give someone in an abusive relationship.

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
No. But concerning the younger Ontario crowd this would pose a concern for the Leafs. I wouldn't expect fan hopping as much as kids and teens looking the other way if the new franchise embodies a winning/fresh image. The very reason why we won't see a 2nd team in TO.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
No. I would continue to be a miserable Leafs fan. Being a fan means sticking to your god awful piece of **** team.

Leafspoison*

Many interesting answers. 15 years ago I would never consider jumping ship and understand why some would consider it being a traitor and as one poster put it "disgusting". That was my thinking 15 years ago.

But what I have learned is no matter how much you love the leafs, they will never love you back.

I am one of the older guys so one would think it would be harder to watch someone else because it is ingrained in many of us.

But you can only get kicked by the same horse so many times before you shoot the ****er in the head and get a new horse.

You young guys need to re think putting some of us down that are just plain sick of this team. Go read up on Ballard and then you have a better idea. Most teams that are always good have great runs nearly every year, while the leafs hold onto 2 or 3 season where we had good runs.

Suffered in the '70, 80's, 90's, 2000's and now halfway to 2020. And, its still a total mess and always has been for the most part.

I would like to cheer for someone successful. But only if that team in in Toronto and I think that may be sooner than we think. Bettman himself came out and said another NHL team in Toronto would be viable and would be a consideration.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
i could not jump boats to a franchise i have cheered against religously the last 5 years. That said if this team continues down the same path as it always does, i will most likely follow vegas out of curiosity.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
No. But concerning the younger Ontario crowd this would pose a concern for the Leafs. I wouldn't expect fan hopping as much as kids and teens looking the other way if the new franchise embodies a winning/fresh image. The very reason why we won't see a 2nd team in TO.

Zing!!! Just imagine the other team drafting some studs first overall like Stamkos or Tavares from Torona. All the young kids will flock to that team. Ba bye Leafs.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
Nope. Would not even support one coming to the GTA for that matter.

Some people see it as a second team of sorts but I don't consider it any different than say, another version of the Senators, but in our backyard.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
That depends. If they develop into a good young team and has affordable ticket prices, I would support them. I suffer enough as a leafs fan, so this new team would have to be a team worth supporting

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Nah. I remember watching my first leafs game in 2002. I remember my watching my first Leafs playoffs game in that year vs the Islanders. I remember being sad waking up the next morning and seeing the paper that they lost to the Hurricanes. After that, I tried to watch HNIC every Saturday. I take less interest in them now, but they will still be my team. Even if there was a Toronto team 2, I would just see them as the opponents.

Leafs are like that teddy bear you find up in the attic. It was your favorite toy and you remember all the good times and even through the bad times, you still had that bear. You had other toys but this bear was your favorite one. A Leafs game used to be able to cheer me up even if I had a bad day. It doesn't do much cheering up nowadays so maybe when it does, I'll take it out of the attic, brush off the dust, and sit down with it. Just like ol' times

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
It depends what you mean by support it?

Would I go watch games if they were cheaper? Yes.

Would I cheer for them over the leafs? Hell no.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Lol at this notion of inherited loyalty. Last time I checked, the Leafs are not my family. They are not my country. They are not my army, and deserting the Leafs is not grounds for treason. Now, I don't plan on following another team any time soon, but any notion of automatic loyalty for a hockey team is laughable.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Lol at this notion of inherited loyalty. Last time I checked, the Leafs are not my family. They are not my country. They are not my army, and deserting the Leafs is not grounds for treason. Now, I don't plan on following another team any time soon, but any notion of automatic loyalty for a hockey team is laughable.

For some of us it's ingrained in our family tradition. I've bonded with family members now passed away over the Leafs. It's the first thing others talk about when we see each other during the holidays.

Maybe its little more than a tv show for you, but for many of us it's much more than that.

Leafspoison*

To all who said yes.....why wait?

Never is the only answer of a Real Leaf fan...

Because there is not another team in Toronto yet. I am not sure how old you are, but put in the years us older guys have and you would have a different opinion.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
For some of us it's ingrained in our family tradition. I've bonded with family members now passed away over the Leafs. It's the first thing others talk about when we see each other during the holidays.

Maybe its little more than a tv show for you, but for many of us it's much more than that.

That's fine. It's the "holier-than-thou" attitude (not necessarily from you) the rest of us can do without.

This coming from me who was a die-hard Leafs fan growing up, so I know the team's importance to the city.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can't stand bandwagoning - so no.

If you're wiling to switch teams now, it seems silly of you to stay being a fan. Go cheer for Detroit, or Ottawa. Both are reasonably close to Toronto geographically.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Because there is not another team in Toronto yet. I am not sure how old you are, but put in the years us older guys have and you would have a different opinion.

I'm older then you most likely.....I was at the Last Stanley cup parade...

I would think it would be more easy for a younger person who has not been a life long Leaf fan to go.....my point still stands....go now and cheer for another team as real fans are fans no matter what!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad