Would you become a fan of a new Toronto team?

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
A few things to consider;

1. Where would this new team play? I'm sure a new arena would be in order?

2. Would they be a division rival to the Leafs? Eastern conference rivals? New team in the west? In MLB the two NY teams are in the opposite leagues. Same with the White Sox and Cubs. in the NFL the Jets / Giants are in opposite conferences.

The thing to me, as not even a leafs fan, but just a hockey fan, is it's probably one of the most sensical places for an expansion team, especially for the health of the league. Even with diehard leafs fans not supporting another Toronto team, it would probably sell out every game. There's enough hockey fans in the area that they would just buy tickets to see a game, especially if they were affordable, and especially if they were in the same division and had a rivalry against the Leafs. What makes more sense? Expanding in Vegas or Seattle or some sunbelt city that's sure to fail 5 years later once the puppy love phase wears off, or adding another team to Toronto?

I agree with most of what you said, but the highlighted part should not be a question.

The MLB and NFL do not work in a geographical conference format like the NHL and NBA.

Those leagues have 2 conferences (AFC/NFC, AL/NL) but then have geographical divisions within those 2 conferences. Basically trying to show different playing style within close cities.

So unless the league has the team playing in Hamilton (or where ever else) but places them in the Metropolitan Division, they would have to be sivision rivals.

I just can't see a logical explanation for why two teams so close to each other would be in different divisions.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I was just thinking about it and I thought...

How cool would it be if a new Toronto team was created and they were set to begin competition in the 2016-2017 season.

Then the first ever game played between the Leafs and Toronto 2 was the Winter Classic?

Because that season is the centennial and is supposed to be a celebration, I feel that would be an amazing celebration of the past, present, and future.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
People would go to games because the team have to start off with cheaper tickets until it does develop a fan base but until their teams skill level matches or exceeds the Leafs I don't see MLSE changing anything. If the team ever makes the playoffs and the Leafs miss out I think a lot of people will root for them.

I would watch them and depending on who they are playing I may root for them. I am a hockey fan, not just a Leafs fan so I would enjoy seeing a team having to literally start from scratch.

I would think the Tickets would be pretty much in line with what the Leafs charge, new rink and franchise fees to pay for(>billion).
There will be PSL's and Subscribers would fill the place which will cause similar high prices in the Secondary market.

LeafsFIO*

I would go to games but I wouldn't be a fan of them.

The only people who live in the GTA and don't cheer for the Leafs either have a good deep-rooted reason to cheer for another team (they won't change) or fairweather fans who quit because they're tired of losing (they won't cheer for an expansion team).

All this pressure garbage is nonsensical. Some fans in Ottawa hate the Leafs more than they like the Sens and that hasn't been deterrent enough for MLSE to change, a team three hours closer won't do anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad