Would Tampa still be 1st without Kucherov?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Taking a crappy team that would otherwise finish 11th or 12th and squeaking them in at 8th seed shouldn't be the criteria for what "most valuable to his team" means. "Most valuable to his team" should also account for a player turning a 4th or 5th seed into a runaway top seed.
Accounting for a majority of your team’s offense makes you the mvp. If Kane carries Chicago to the playoffs it’s his same case with McDavid both are a lot more important and crucial to their teams than Kucherov is to Tampa succeeding. Compare Kane and McDavids point shares on their teams goals and compare them to Kucherovs. Kane accounts to 45%, McDavid accounts for 50%, Kucherov is 40%. He isn’t the most valuable to his team by default.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jugitsu

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Accounting for a majority of your team’s offense makes you the mvp. If Kane carries Chicago to the playoffs it’s his same case with McDavid both are a lot more important and crucial to their teams than Kucherov is to Tampa succeeding. Compare Kane and McDavids point shares on their teams goals and compare them to Kucherovs. Kane accounts to 45%, McDavid accounts for 50%, Kucherov is 40%. He isn’t the most valuable to his team by default.
It sounds like another way to say our GM sucks award or the aging team award or our drafting sucks...

You're penalizing Kuch for playing on the best team. Makes sense.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
It sounds like another way to say our GM sucks award or the aging team award or our drafting sucks...

You're penalizing Kuch for playing on the best team. Makes sense.

It sounds like you didn’t read at all if that’s what you got out of that. The Hart isn’t another Art Ross nor should it ever be.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa
Why is making the playoffs the only bar of success? Isn't leading your team to a massive first place finish another bar of success?

McDavid and Kane account for a high percentage of their teams point shares, not because they are contributing more than Kucherov, but because the rest of their teams suck right now. Is the Hart a team award?

Reactions: T REX and Mbraunm

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Why is making the playoffs the only bar of success? Isn't leading your team to a massive first place finish another bar of success?

McDavid and Kane account for a high percentage of their teams point shares, not because they are contributing more than Kucherov, but because the rest of their teams suck right now. Is the Hart a team award?

Do you think Rinne should have won the Hart last year for the presidents trophy winning Preds? After all he lead his team to a massive first place finish with a presidents trophy. Hart is for the player most valuable to his team not the highest scoring player or a player on a 1st place team. Kane is more valuable to Chicago than Kucherov is to Tampa. It is openly outlined in the description of the award. Same reason why Crosby and Tavares lost out on the Hart to Price they didn’t carry their teams as great as he did.

Reactions: Jugitsu

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
No, Tampa would most certainly not be 1st without Kucherov. They'd likely still be a very competitive team and a playoff team, but they'd be nowhere near where they are now.

I was a bit shocked by Kucherov's mild snub in Hart voting last season. He was the best player on the NHL's third best team, and in fact he was the top NHL scorer on the top NHL team for about 85% of the season, yet he didn't even finish top-5 in Hart voting.

Now that Brayden Point is outscoring Stamkos, I hope people can see how great Kucherov is. At this moment in time, you have to figure he's the front-runner for the Hart.

Reactions: JFG and LordZapp

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

The best player is the most valuable by default.

Kucherov is having the best season so he should get the trophy for being the best and most valuable player.

The writers are all pedantic about the literal definition of "Most valuable to his team", but it doesn't say "Most valuable to his team that makes the playoffs" yet the writers occasionally award the trophy to the best player on the most mediocre squad.

If the Seattle expansion team wins ten games all season and Patrick Marleau scores seven game winners, than by the definition of "Most valuable to his team", he should win the Trophy even if he only scores 45 points. Because scoring 70% of a team's game winners obviously brings more value than anything anyone else could do right?

Every sports league has an MVP Trophy. Every other league understands MVP to mean Best Player period. NHL media should wake up.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I honestly think Kucherov is running away with the Hart at this point. Tampa's crazy success is due in a huge way to his amazing season. And the only two players who are within 15 points of him are both on terrible teams. Even IF either of those teams makes the playoffs, this should be Kucherov.

As for the question at hand, I don't think Tampa is 1st in the league without Kucherov, no. In the pack close to it, probably, but not number 1.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They'd need 8 less wins to fall behind Calgary. Is one skater worth 8 wins over 59 games? I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Plus, it's Tampa, this would probably just open up a roster spot for them to pull another budding young star out of their ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rschmitz

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kucherov is crazy good but I still don't know if he should win the Hart because I think Tampa would still be the best team in NHL even without him. Art Ross for him for sure.

What do you think would Tampa still be 1st without Kucherov?
Team makes player better. Player makes team better. It’s so hard to say.
I am of the opinion that there’s a very large number of players who’s success/failure is entirely dependent on external factors. I mean, there’s a big group of “failed” players who could have been successes in better circumstances (injuries, system, depth, etc.). And vice versa. In my humble opinion.
Hockey can be pretty random.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
The best player is the most valuable by default.

Kucherov is having the best season so he should get the trophy for being the best and most valuable player.

The writers are all pedantic about the literal definition of "Most valuable to his team", but it doesn't say "Most valuable to his team that makes the playoffs" yet the writers occasionally award the trophy to the best player on the most mediocre squad.

If the Seattle expansion team wins ten games all season and Patrick Marleau scores seven game winners, than by the definition of "Most valuable to his team", he should win the Trophy even if he only scores 45 points. Because scoring 70% of a team's game winners obviously brings more value than anything anyone else could do right?

Every sports league has an MVP Trophy. Every other league understands MVP to mean Best Player period. NHL media should wake up.

I don't agree. Tampa is a very strong team regardless if Kucherov is in it or not. He might be the best player in the NHL, but if say Kane drags the Blackhawks into the playoffs in a much much weaker team he has been more important to the success of that team. I would argue that he in that case is more important to the Hawks than Kucherov is to Tampa. Getting into the playoffs is just a good measuring sticks since most players that win the Hart due to being brilliant on a crap team is winning because they pretty much single handed dragged the team to the post season.
Not saying that Kucherov isn't a better player (or wouldn't be a legit hart winner), but Tampa would definitely still be a playoff team without him and imo their net effect on their respective team's success is not equal.
Took Kane as an example, haven't actually looked at the stats or anything. Just trying to get my opinion out there in an understandable way

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
A playoff team, sure. #1? Maybe. No Kucherov would mean lots of changes to our current line combos and powerplay setup. It would also mean other players would get more ice time and more time to play with the other big three on the team in Point, Stamkos or Johnson.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Stamkos has proved he's still a very capable goal scorer, but without teams focusing so hard on Kucherov and Point, they're on Stamkos.

Stamkos gets easier matchups because of Kucherov.
Thanks to Kucherov, like a phoenix Stammer be like

a7068fbd95779d4110fec25158442bb6.gif

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Take that off and you're right. I'm so tired of people thinking the best player of the season should win the Hart automatically. Lets not pretend that he doesn't have some elite talent in net for him for example. Or in Stamkos.
What does having good teammates have to do with being the most valuable player on a team? If you have a team full of good players and you are still no doubt the most valuable of that bunch, it doesn't diminish anything?

People have such a weird view of what the Hart should be.

Reactions: JFG

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Kucherov should win the Hart. Its a crime if he doesnt. Yes Kucherov is on a team with a lot of good players but he is the sail that makes it go. On a team that is on its way to having one of the best seasons for a while he is the face of it. We arent doing this well without him. Is easily the most valuable player in the league.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Kucherov should win the Hart. Its a crime if he doesnt. Yes Kucherov is on a team with a lot of good players but he is the sail that makes it go. On a team that is on its way to having one of the best seasons for a while he is the face of it. We arent doing this well without him. Is easily the most valuable player in the league.

The most valuable player is Mcdavid Hart trophy or not

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The most valuable player is Mcdavid Hart trophy or not

McDavid is a great player playing for a crap team. If Kucherov was on that team he would be in the same position having to bail his team out every night. Should Kucherov win the Hart if he is in that position? I feel people would still think McDavid should win if you swapped spots. Kucherov deserves the Hart this year. Hes putting up amazing numbers and is showing his value to the league and most importantly to his team. We arent anywhere close to the level of contention without him. McDavid to his team just barely helps them get to playoffs and guess what do nothing with it. Kucherov has the level of impact to his team where they could win the cup with his existence on that team. Its really no debate in my eyes.

Reactions: ThunderAlleyNomad

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
McDavid is a great player playing for a crap team. If Kucherov was on that team he would be in the same position having to bail his team out every night. Should Kucherov win the Hart if he is in that position? I feel people would still think McDavid should win if you swapped spots. Kucherov deserves the Hart this year. Hes putting up amazing numbers and is showing his value to the league and most importantly to his team. We arent anywhere close to the level of contention without him. McDavid to his team just barely helps them get to playoffs and guess what do nothing with it. Kucherov has the level of impact to his team where they could win the cup with his existence on that team. Its really no debate in my eyes.

I didn't say Kuch doesn't deserve the Hart.

i said the Hart doesn't go to the most valuable player if it did Mcdavid would own it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad