OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Shame to see there's still so little interest in basketball in Quebec and even Montreal. I like hockey more but basketball is still third for me after that and soccer. It's exciting to see so much upcoming Canadian talent.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
As the NBA continues to cement itself as a truly global brand, more and more non-Americans are entering the elite end of the talent pool. Your average Euro knows a large Canadian city isn’t an Alaskan outpost.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Basketball is a beautiful and highly entertaining sport and I'd love to have a NBA team in Montreal but I have a hard time believing people would care enough to make it work.

I know a lot of self-proclaimed ''sports fans'' who barely pay attention to anything outside the Habs, we don't have a strong sports culture like other big NA cities imo. I hope it'll change someday.

Reactions: DavePeak

skidcells

May 11, 2023
Sadly I don’t think nba team can exist in Montreal. When younger I thought we were a great sports city but as I get older I realized we’re just a great hockey city. The expos, Montreal FC are prime examples of this. The city will not support those teams unless they are competitive. Reality is every team will need to go through a rebuild and that’s where the other none hockey related teams fold.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
This city desperately needs a 2nd major league team. Either Baseball or Basketball, I don't care.

We need the exposure of another big league coming to town. Montréal feels like a 3rd rate city with just hockey being the talk of the town.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
This city desperately needs a 2nd major league team. Either Baseball or Basketball, I don't care.

We need the exposure of another big league coming to town. Montréal feels like a 3rd rate city with just hockey being the talk of the town.

Not just that, but if a NBA team becomes popular in Montreal, it will force the Habs to be more entertaining. No more safe bets to milk the cow.

• Love
Reactions: the

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

Not sure why you'd think that. I can think of several cities with multiple major league teams that rank behind Montreal.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I could see it work quite well down the road, although certainly not gangbusters right away. It would take some time to educate the more casual sports fans on the game and the players, you'd need owners who are willing to be patient with it and don't need huge profits out of the gate to make it viable. It's a good time to try it in any case, basketball has been growing a lot in Canada in the past decade, there are more and more local players getting into the NBA. I'll admit Baseball does seem like a safer prospect though, but the costs of operating even a low budget team in the MLB would be much larger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad