OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
I was wondering if Montreal could be a good home for a NBA team. We had a few off-season games and it was a huge success. The NBA will soon proceed to an expansion (about 2 years), if there is a willing owner (maybe Geoff Molson) would it work here?

Thoughts?

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
If the tickets price is okay, why not? I saw yesterday the prices for the game on October 20th, they are crazy. $500 for the best seats. I think Optimum games for the Habs are at $300.

Maybe I'll even go on October 20th. Must be a great experience.

Claimed Off Waivers

Mar 2, 2007
Montreal
No. Star players would not want to sign here. Nobody wants to play in Canada. If they won't play in English speaking Toronto, then they definitely would not want to play in French-speaking Montreal.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No. Star players would not want to sign here. Nobody wants to play in Canada. If they won't play in English speaking Toronto, then they definitely would not want to play in French-speaking Montreal.

Language has nothing to do with it. Canada is just not a basketball country.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007

^This x1000

NBA Players think of Canada like it's Northern Siberia.
Just look up some quotes from Chris Bosh when he first got to Miami after being THE GUY, the franchise player, in Toronto for almost a decade.

For one Seattle got ROYALLY screwed out of the Supersonics, they should be first in line to get an expansion team and to a lesser degree so did Vancouver, both WAY better cities for Basketball.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
God I hope not.

Give each team a minute to play and 100 points. There's your basketball game.

And I can see it now, Montreal drafts a superstar and three years later he decides to hold a two hour press conference to annonce his 'decision' on where he's going to go play... Please. Please, no.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I think there would be interest...I know that at about every 3rd or 4th house in my area, there's a basketball hoop. So kids are playing the game.

The problem, as outlined, is that the NBA is a total superstar league. If you don't have one, you are basically screwed and have zero shot of doing anything. And I doubt we'd be able to attract or keep a superstar.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Basketball is more entertaining than hockey, but no it wouldnt work

What's so entertaining about basketball? I wonder how people can watch 4 quarters of that sport. Watch the last quarter and it's more than enough. Points all over the place, no momentum, tons of stoppages, fouls and time-outs and unless its a blow-out, the final minute of the game takes like 15 minutes to play with a stoppage every 3 sec.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Bingo. NBA players do not look at Canada as a desirable destination. They make baseball players seem like low maintenance. If you don't attract good players, you don't win. If you don't win, fans eventually stop showing up.

Its as simple as that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad