OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Right but do we really support MLS and CFL that much? Nobody talks about those sports in the city.

I don't like Basketball but i'd certainly tune in if Montreal had a team and I think alot of people would even if they don't like basketball just because its such a huge world renown league

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
As a sub-teacher working all over the city in different schools, I can assure you basketball is WAY more popular than hockey for Gen Z and the Gen after. Not close. When they'll be adults, it would definitely be viable. If you can bring a local like Dort or Matthurin or a big star, watch out.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I think that other than the Habs, MTL has trouble supporting two other teams. If a new flavour comes to town, I’d think it would mean the end of another.

I would guess though, that basketball could become #2 pretty fast. I am not sure which one of CFL or MLS would have the most trouble afterwards though.

I would guess that the MLS and basketball would have a better futur then the CFL but that is just a guess.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I think that other than the Habs, MTL has trouble supporting two other teams. If a new flavour comes to town, I’d think it would mean the end of another.

I would guess though, that basketball could become #2 pretty fast. I am not sure which one of CFL or MLS would have the most trouble afterwards though.

I would guess that the MLS and basketball would have a better futur then the CFL but that is just a guess.
There was alot of CFL buzz in the city during the calvillo era. I'm pretty sure it would take me a few hours to find somebody who can name a player on the alouettes right now in downtown Montreal haha

Reactions: NORiculous

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

I agree, All the focus is on the Habs therefore any other sports franchise have a hard time surviving.
IF i had to wish for a new sports franchise, i would bet on the Expos to have some success , but i even have my doubts on the MLB to even return and work in Montreal. I remember back then, listening to most of the Expos games on Radio and keep listeting the callers after the games. Most of the time they were calling , not to talk about the Baseball game , but calling about the Habs . Hockey is in our blood , all year long , therefore its really hard for another sports franchise to survive( MLB, CFL,MLS, NBA,... name it ) when you're under the Habs shadow ... even in summer.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
There's so much roster movement from season to season in the CFL, it's hard to really feel connected to a team for long. You kinda have to be in it for the product itself, plus you know, football during the spring/summer is always a bit weird.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'm sure that it would be successful in the first year or two due to the novelty, and then from there it would depend on how good the team does. I doubt it would even be Coyotes bad as far as interest goes, but it would always be #2 in the city.

That said, I couldn't care less about the NBA, so I personally wouldn't be interested.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You'd draw from other provinces too.. and since the NBA is a star driven league, you're going to sell out every time Curry, Lebron, etc. come to town.

So like outside of when they play teams like the Wizards or Hornets, they'll do really well if the NBA or MLB was in Montreal.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I'd rather we have the Expos back. I also prefer we keep our MLS team than having an NBA team. Basketball is just boring to watch.

I miss the Expos. Great name, great uniforms. Terrible they left. They really got a bum deal in 94 when they had the strike. Hottest team in baseball at the time, I think maybe the best record in league. If there’s no strike and they win the World Series, I always wondered if that would of made a difference and they end up staying.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
As a sub-teacher working all over the city in different schools, I can assure you basketball is WAY more popular than hockey for Gen Z and the Gen after. Not close. When they'll be adults, it would definitely be viable. If you can bring a local like Dort or Matthurin or a big star, watch out.

I see it in Vancouver too. Basketball is much more of a talking point with the youngsters, and Toronto is the same way especially the closer you get to the downtown core.

It been this way for several years now.

Jul 6, 2016
I am old. So basketball is pretty boring to me. Just a bunch of giants dunking balls back and forth, and takes half an hour to play the last two minutes.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I am old. So basketball is pretty boring to me. Just a bunch of giants dunking balls back and forth, and takes half an hour to play the last two minutes.

I actually prefer old school ball. Today is not how you describe it. Teams shoot a ton more 3 balls than they used to, and the physicality has really been toned down.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
With those salaries NBA players make now, not a chance. Montreal doesn't have the demographics to attract those type of fans. The soccer club is failing to attract crowds and I think Saputo will be looking for a seller down the road.

The only way an NBA franchiae succeeds here is with a wealthy owner, whose not afraid to cut their losses and be patient while building a competitive team. Once the loyal fanbase is present, you already won half the battle.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
With those salaries NBA players make now, not a chance. Montreal doesn't have the demographics to attract those type of fans. The soccer club is failing to attract crowds and I think Saputo will be looking for a seller down the road.

The only way an NBA franchiae succeeds here is with a wealthy owner, whose not afraid to cut their losses and be patient while building a competitive team. Once the loyal fanbase is present, you already won half the battle.
this, as a big basket ball fan and a 33 yo i can tell you that most people i talk with are 15-25 yo. with more and more mtl players in the league i could see a future but its not a slam dunk bet. i would go to a few games each years for sure. the thing is people around the province make the trip to mtl for habs games. not sure alot would do the same for nba games. but nba games attract more high profile people due to relevance on a bigger scale. i really wish in happen but cant see it before another good 5 years

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The issue with basketball in Montreal is the season runs along the hockey season. While this is great for SPORTS FANS in general, I can see dinosaur media and even some Canadiens fans not being thrilled about this. Add to it the usual weather, taxes, how Canada is so foreign to non-Canadians, etc.

While the fans and marketing from the team would matter, what will make or break basketball in Montreal is the media buy-in and corporate revenue. Also goes without saying, you’ll want an owner or ownership group with deep pockets.

I love basketball and love the Raptors, but I would happily cheer for a Montreal NBA team as well.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I don't doubt that it's very popular in the city. However, revenue comes from TV, season tickets and box seats, all of which I assume will be very low.

I don't see the ROC switching allegiance from Toronto to the Montreal and I don't see many individuals paying for box seats.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad