OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
It could work in Vancouver again if given a second chance.

If there was an NBA team in Montreal, the best they could do is draft potential superstars from Europe. particularly from France. But despite the NBA being more popular around the world compared to hockey and baseball, NBA rosters are not as diverse as NHL and MLB rosters. The NBA is still dominated by Americans.

Toronto tried that, too... but FWIW I remember a newspaper article stating that basketball would work better in Montreal vs. Vancouver.

However, a D-League team would perhaps be viable here.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Never understood the interest in basketball. I gave it another try recently with what is supposed to be a great final. Felt asleep by the 10 minutes mark and i'm been generous.

Oh wow, nice 2 pts. There's literally an hundred of those coming up... and eventually the last 2 minutes will matters when the score is 96-94 after 58 minutes.

I just cant. Perhaps it's just not a sport for me...

As for your question. The problem is just that very answer: "Perhaps it's just not a sport for me" because it apply to everyone i know minus 1.

Well that's the thing... you have to keep scoring or else, you'll eventually fall behind. In hockey or soccer, you can score and have a legit chance at defend your lead. In basketball, you can defend but at one point, you'll have to keep scoring because it's impossible to keep the other team at bay.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Sorry but why does Montreal think they have an "elitist" attitude? It's more xenophobic if anything. There's absolutely nothing elite about the city's sporting scene. The NHL could have a lockout/strike at a snap of a finger. The CFL could fold at a snap of a finger.. likewise with MLS. What else?

The city's sport scene is comparable to a market like winnipeg or edmonton.

MMA scene and F1 are very popular...

Anyway to answer the OP I think a lot of people are voting "do you love nba yes/no"

If the media lets say RDS started talking non stop about the NBA lot of people would follow (sorry to say but a lot of people are like sheep)
It would some pressure off the habs org and players and maybe then we will get a contender team...

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
^This x1000

NBA Players think of Canada like it's Northern Siberia.
Just look up some quotes from Chris Bosh when he first got to Miami after being THE GUY, the franchise player, in Toronto for almost a decade.

For one Seattle got ROYALLY screwed out of the Supersonics, they should be first in line to get an expansion team and to a lesser degree so did Vancouver, both WAY better cities for Basketball.

And Basketball in Vancouver was a colossal disaster. Granted, ownership was beyond inept and the city itself is quite fickle - you win or we ignore you. But the NBA just could not compete with the Canucks. I suspect a similar issue would arise in Montreal, never mind the language barrier and many player's indifference to Canada. The NFL I could see being successful due to the immense popularity and existing proof Canadian like football, but otherwise this is a hockey country.

Noisespektrum

Jun 11, 2011
new york city
The NBA would fail i believe. The Expos although nostalgic would not work either after a few losing seasons. And i imagine most in Montreal consider baseball a gawd awful nightmare to watch when compared to whats in town now. That and whatever new team comes to Montreal better be able to provide Francophone players on the roster.

Saintpatrick*

NFL would over the NBA I think. Alot of football fans in Montreal more so than the NBA.

Saintpatrick*

Yes, but only if we can have our team to be better-run than the Raptors, as well as get sound scouting (as we did for baseball and hockey)

That wouldn't be hard that franchise is a walking cluster**** just like all toronto teams.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Basketball is more entertaining than hockey

I'm a huge NBA fan, but there's no way basketball is more exciting than hockey, especially the NBA. NCAA basketball is a lot more exciting, but because of the lack of "Star" power, the average person doesn't watch college ball.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
I'm a huge NBA fan, but there's no way basketball is more exciting than hockey, especially the NBA. NCAA basketball is a lot more exciting, but because of the lack of "Star" power, the average person doesn't watch college ball.

I watched the March Madness this year for the first time, really liked it! Sucks I don't know a lot about the NCAA...

Saintpatrick*

Baseball had one bright spot in Montreal, and that was scouting.

Basketball, on the other hand, it is true that the Raptors are not that hard to beat with respect to management but every new team has its growing pains.

Growing pains I can understand but that franchise is 18 years old now it's hardly new. I think it's due to horrible management and the fact that no NBA player wants to play there.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
It would never work. Fan base is too small. Soccer is tenfold more popular and the Impact can't even get 18,000 in the stadium. And tickets are way cheaper.

Montreal is a very small sports town. Like Serg Savard once told me, they love the Habs, not even hockey, and that's about it.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
And Basketball in Vancouver was a colossal disaster. Granted, ownership was beyond inept and the city itself is quite fickle - you win or we ignore you. But the NBA just could not compete with the Canucks. I suspect a similar issue would arise in Montreal, never mind the language barrier and many player's indifference to Canada. The NFL I could see being successful due to the immense popularity and existing proof Canadian like football, but otherwise this is a hockey country.

The Grizzlies really had the most inept management of our time. I thought they had a great chance to grasp this market because the canucks were in the midst of that messier/keenan circus show, where they were drawing about 13,000 fans for some games

Unfortunately, the NBA had this rule where the grizzlies were not allowed to have a #1 pick for the first 5 years, and if you go down the list of trades, its downright appalling in terms of asset management. There's enough problems trying to attract nba talent north of the border, but to multiply that problem with wretched mangement, and the nba draft rules working against them, the grizz never had a chance.

If the grizz were allowed to draft #1, they would have Tim Duncan. Local kid Steve Nash was available for cheap, but the GM thought he wasn't even worthy of a flyer (I don't have enough finger power to go through all his mistakes).

I personally think this team would still be here if they had semi competent management, but eventually, they would be in trouble again, unless the attitude that NBA players have towards Canada changes

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It would attract the multicultural fans of Montreal but not the french and anglos that have deep roots into hockey and baseball. And amongst the multicultural fans, most of them are more attracted by Soccer than Basket.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
NFL would over the NBA I think. Alot of football fans in Montreal more so than the NBA.

... but Montreal would never get an NFL team before Toronto and its hard for even Toronto to get one and that is with their 12 million fan base in the Golden Triangle, which is considered one of the best markets in sports.

MLSE hired Tim Leiweke (supposedly the best exec in sports business) as the head of MLSE and I'm sure one of his duties is to push to get an NFL team in Toronto but even he may not have success in that area. The NFL prefers single/private owners and not corporations.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think the Montreal the NFL but not the NBA. The NBA doesn't seem to work anywhere in Canada either way.

It works in Toronto, the team has just sucked big time. For a team that's made the playoffs like 4 times in almost 20 years and only gone past the 1st round once our fan base has done a tremendous job supporting the team. And it does work in Canada, just look at all the Canadians getting noticed in the NCAA the game is growing here, we just had Andrew Wiggins become the first Canadian to be named the top recruit in the U.S ever. This is going to become bigger and bigger.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Montreal won't even support a junior hockey team (like, 3 have moved out of there now?)... I don't see them supporting an NBA team.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Montreal won't even support a junior hockey team (like, 3 have moved out of there now?)... I don't see them supporting an NBA team.

Junior and Pro are 2 completely different things

Would you pay to go watch Lebron James or a 16 year old junior hockey player?

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Junior and Pro are 2 completely different things

Would you pay to go watch Lebron James or a 16 year old junior hockey player?

Me personally? I'm from Halifax so.. last 2 seasons I haven't even watched the Canadiens that much because well, Nate and Jo are amazing.

But from the responses of this board, I would rather watch junior hockey than Lebron cause I don't give 2 ***** about Lebron and I don't think most of montreal does either.

My point was not even hockey can compete with hockey in Montreal, basketball doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad