OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
Sorry but why does Montreal think they have an "elitist" attitude? It's more xenophobic if anything. There's absolutely nothing elite about the city's sporting scene. The NHL could have a lockout/strike at a snap of a finger. The CFL could fold at a snap of a finger.. likewise with MLS. What else?

The city's sport scene is comparable to a market like winnipeg or edmonton.

The city's administration could be accused of corrumption and other illegal activities at the snap of a... oh wait...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sorry but why does Montreal think they have an "elitist" attitude? It's more xenophobic if anything. There's absolutely nothing elite about the city's sporting scene. The NHL could have a lockout/strike at a snap of a finger. The CFL could fold at a snap of a finger.. likewise with MLS. What else?

The city's sport scene is comparable to a market like winnipeg or edmonton.

Two different things -- you can have an elitist attitude but limited product to be elitist about.

What else -- well thank-you Toronto for having voted to dissolve the Expos. I know countless Expos fans who refuse to follow the Jays for that very reason. But hey, you still have an MLB team, so cash rules. Good for you.

I'll leave your xenophobia comment out of the equation -- every city has its garbage. Let's not go there. ;)

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Two different things -- you can have an elitist attitude but limited product to be elitist about.

What else -- well thank-you Toronto for having voted to dissolve the Expos. I know countless Expos fans who refuse to follow the Jays for that very reason. But hey, you still have an MLB team, so cash rules. Good for you.

I'll leave your xenophobia comment out of the equation -- every city has its garbage. Let's not go there. ;)

Expos were gone whether Toronto voted yes or not, it just made it unanimous.

Elitist, major league? The provincial government voted to pay for expansion of Saputo Stadium so it could host minor league soccer (sorry MLS that's what you are) ten years after giving the Expos the finger. $20-25 million might have got the job done in 1998.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Expos were gone whether Toronto voted yes or not, it just made it unanimous.

Not the point. It would have meant something at the time, for the only other Canadian franchise to be on side.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal could support MLB team still but the govt and big money of Montreal did not step up when a new stadium was needed and it slipped through the city's fingers. 10 years later we throw money at every stupid project but they BLEW IT bigtime with the baseball stadium. Chew on that while the provincial government now puts up $200 million to fund the new Quebec City arena.

Now Montreal is no longer a positive growth story and there is no longer land downtown, it will be 20-40 years and require a major turn around economically and culturally in Quebec before MLB comes back. NBA will stay away for similar reasons. Why take a chance on Montreal when there's similar markets with less problems?

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
I dont live in Montreal so i dont know much about sports in the city, but if its a sport that will need to compete with the Habs for much of their season I seriously doubt they will survive, especially if they go a few years as bottom feeders.

I wouldn't mind seeing Montreal get the expos back though, might entice me to follow baseball.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
No. Star players would not want to sign here. Nobody wants to play in Canada. If they won't play in English speaking Toronto, then they definitely would not want to play in French-speaking Montreal.

Unless there are those players with star talent who would rather play in a city that isn't that big on basketball. Admittedly, I don't know much about NBA basketball but I think those players may very well exist.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
People saying basketball is boring to watch are the same that are whining when people are telling them hockey sucks...

Sorry but Basketball is one of the greatest sports out there.

I'd take a NBA team ahead of anything else.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
People saying basketball is boring to watch are the same that are whining when people are telling them hockey sucks...

Sorry but Basketball is one of the greatest sports out there.

I'd take a NBA team ahead of anything else.

Well...yeah, that would make sense since they/I find hockey incredibly exciting, while in the Venn diagram, there's a subset who find both exciting and of course some who only find basketball exciting. I have lots of friends who watch bball religiously (in Montreal), but for my part, it's as if the reasons I love hockey (and perhaps the Habs) are the same why I find basketball boring and annoying (re: fouling and primadonnas, amongst many reasons).

"Sorry", but just like my opinion of whether basketball is interesting to watch (it's not), your statement is purely subjective. Different strokes.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I was wondering if Montreal could be a good home for a NBA team. We had a few off-season games and it was a huge success. The NBA will soon proceed to an expansion (about 2 years), if there is a willing owner (maybe Geoff Molson) would it work here?

Thoughts?

Basketball blows as a sport, and the NBA blows also. I really do not understand its popularity in the US. No thanks.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Basketball is more entertaining than hockey, but no it wouldnt work

Trot up one end with no resistance, attempt basket. Back up and let other team trot up to the other end and attempt basket. Repeat 200 times. Slamdunk show boat now and then to excite the 11 year olds.

Yeah, more entertaining than hockey. Not.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
It's nice to go sit there and enjoy great weather while watching a game with a beer, but let's be honest Baseball is a boring sport

I still think a Stadium would have saved us

9th inning, game tied, your best hitters coming up, their best pitcher on the mound, boring?

And its outdoor. Really fun to go to a game.

And btw, baseball players are fantastic athletes.

Baseball is not boring at all.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
9th inning, game tied, your best hitters coming up, their best pitcher on the mound, boring?

And its outdoor. Really fun to go to a game.

And btw, baseball players are fantastic athletes.

Baseball is not boring at all.

Played baseball throughout my youth. Love it. But I would definitely be inclined to say that it's a pretty boring spectator sport. Just my opinion, though. Your post does more to hurt your own argument than it does to help it. You need to be down to the wire in a baseball game to have any sense of tension.

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
God I hope not.

Give each team a minute to play and 100 points. There's your basketball game.

And I can see it now, Montreal drafts a superstar and three years later he decides to hold a two hour press conference to annonce his 'decision' on where he's going to go play... Please. Please, no.

You have baseball players in your avatar.

Baseball ****ing sucks and is boring as hell.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
It could work in Vancouver again if given a second chance.

If there was an NBA team in Montreal, the best they could do is draft potential superstars from Europe. particularly from France. But despite the NBA being more popular around the world compared to hockey and baseball, NBA rosters are not as diverse as NHL and MLB rosters. The NBA is still dominated by Americans.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Played baseball throughout my youth. Love it. But I would definitely be inclined to say that it's a pretty boring spectator sport. Just my opinion, though. Your post does more to hurt your own argument than it does to help it. You need to be down to the wire in a baseball game to have any sense of tension.

Do you sit on the edge of your seat for every second of a hockey game? 'Cause I don't.

Baseball is a slow burn. It's a sport built for relaxing on a couch or in the park, having a beer and chatting with people. If you're sitting on the edge of your seat in the 2nd inning clenching your fists then you're doing it wrong. Loosen up.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Never understood the interest in basketball. I gave it another try recently with what is supposed to be a great final. Felt asleep by the 10 minutes mark and i'm been generous.

Oh wow, nice 2 pts. There's literally an hundred of those coming up... and eventually the last 2 minutes will matters when the score is 96-94 after 58 minutes.

I just cant. Perhaps it's just not a sport for me...

As for your question. The problem is just that very answer: "Perhaps it's just not a sport for me" because it apply to everyone i know minus 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->