Worst Outlooks

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
Both Detroit and Colorado share for the worst outlook. Detroit has no star players (except Zetterberg), but they are over the cap? Jesus. Gonna be tough being a Red Wings fan for the coming years. Also Colorado has the worst GM in the NHL who can't even close a deal. :facepalm:

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
For those that say Montreal, remember that HFboards says Montreal will suck every single off-season and they are still one of the team with the best record in the past 10 years.

Habs will be fine, don't worry.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Quite a few bad teams which is obvious

Detroit
Colorado
Arizona
Vegas
Nucks
Devils
Montreal

etc

But then teams like the Sharks are not far off from a rebuild either. It's only a matter of time with them.

For those that say Montreal, remember that HFboards says Montreal will suck every single off-season and they are still one of the team with the best record in the past 10 years.

Habs will be fine, don't worry.

Nope. They are a mess unless their GM fixes the problems they've been having for years. Until then they may or may not squeak into the playoffs but won't be able to do much unless Price stands on his head. All obvious things that everyone has said already.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I think you have it backwards just a bit. While they now have Sergachev, their core is still solid. Brayden Point's up and coming, same with Vasilevsky.

They're going to do damage for years to come with their current roster (hopefully)

We can hope, but Jon Cooper and his complete and utter nonsense is infecting Yzerman and destroying the roster. There's been a serious talent drain in recent years and they just gave Dan effin' Girardi $3M over the next two years to take up a spot that literally any other efenseman you can think of would fill better.

Can't blame us for having lost our hope in the team.

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
Nope. They are a mess unless their GM fixes the problems they've been having for years. Until then they may or may not squeak into the playoffs but won't be able to do much unless Price stands on his head. All obvious things that everyone has said already.

History has proven this wrong so many times. Just look at last year. HFboard was saying Habs will barely make the playoffs yet, they've finished first in the Atlantic.

Look at the Habs record over the past 10 years. One of the best team in the league even though if you only read HFboard, you would assume its one of the worst. The team has mostly improved, the core is still young and they have the best goalie in the game.

You can bookmark this post and look at it at the end of the 2017-2018 season. I remember holding the same argument last year...

And before you come back with the lack of playoffs successes, please keep in mind most teams do not have a Stanley cup to their name over the past 10 years. It is unfair to judge any team by that standard or at least, that standard has to be applied broadly and not just to the Habs (for example, Nashville, Anaheim, San Jose, Washington, NYR, TBL are all dumpster fire)

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
He has my respective but at 36 yr old he cant just single handed carry Detroit into playoffs. 5 yrs ago possibly but the ship has sailed.

Change Zetterberg with one of Crosby/Malkin/McDavid and they still wouldn't be a playoff team, so thats not fair to Z.

Crosby had a similar supporting cast in 2006 and finished close to last in the league and picked Staal.
McDavid has a similar supporting cast in 2016 and finished close to last in the league and picked poolparty.
Malkin have never had the same supporting cast but he wouldn't make the team playoff worthy either.
Ovechkin had a similar supporting cast in 2006 and finished close to last in the league and picked Bäckström.

Subbaman

Character win.
Aug 22, 2012
Montréal, QC
Detroit AINEC.

Most expensive team in the league.

Zero star players and zero players with any star potential.

3rd oldest team in the league.

Farm system is hot garbage.

GM is actually one of those wacky inflatable things you see at used car dealerships.

Call Hal Harrington, he might take store credit for him.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Montreal is fine as long as Price is primed.

Detroit, Minny, NYR are worst.

Um we have arguably the best top 4 in the division heading into next season with loads of guys with NHL potential (Bereglazov, Day, Graves)

We attract all the NCAA guys (Vesey, Hayes, Pionk)

We can always attract FA's if needs be

Our forward group lacks a superstar but is DEEP and potent and very young

The organisation has drafted superbly well in recent times, especially considering we've been short on first round picks

We have an elite goalie with a great prospect right behind him in Sheshy

Not to be rude but I don't think you're particularly familiar with the Rangers situation

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Rangers considering they have 0 top-6 centers

0 no. 1 centres maybe

Zibanejad is most definitely a top 6 centre. Hayes is often a 3c but definitely has the potential to be a 2c

We have Andersson coming up although it's hard to say how long he'll need to develop to the required standard

I also have a lot of faith in Gorton. He'll get us a centre

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I do not understand why people are saying Minnesota, they have a very strong prospect pool and some quality younger NHL players.

They aren't "the worst", but they certainly haven't improved themselves. Even their cap situation is only marginally better, after the panic trade with BUF. I would say that just about every player going out was better than the corresponding player coming in.

OUT

Haula
Tuch
Pominville
Scandella
Folin
Kuemper

IN

Quincey
Ennis
Foligno
Murphy
Svedberg
Rau
Ferraro

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Colorado is a terribly assembled NHL roster right now, but I don't see how they'd be a worst outlook team. Theres a solid amount of 22 & under talent. If they could install a competent front office, a new GM wouldn't be starting from scratch.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
We can hope, but Jon Cooper and his complete and utter nonsense is infecting Yzerman and destroying the roster. There's been a serious talent drain in recent years and they just gave Dan effin' Girardi $3M over the next two years to take up a spot that literally any other efenseman you can think of would fill better.

Can't blame us for having lost our hope in the team.

This 1000%.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
one of these teams isn't like the others

HINT

It's the Rangers

Yeah I mean they definitely have the worst outlook of the 3. No top end prospects and no top end talent in their lineup with Hank on his way out. Let alone terrible defense. Things aren't looking great there IMO

TheLowKreider

Aug 4, 2009
Yeah I mean they definitely have the worst outlook of the 3. No top end prospects and no top end talent in their lineup with Hank on his way out. Let alone terrible defense. Things aren't looking great there IMO

:shakehead

McDonagh, Skjei, Shattenkirk, Smith is an excellent Top 4. Graves, Pionk, DeAngelo, Bereglazov as potential bottom pair options for this year (all prospects) and down the road plus Holden as a 6/7. They just added two great prospects from the first round, are an attractive destination for college/KHL FAs, and have arguably (I said arguably not definitely) the best goalie prospect in the KHL. Still more work to do in the prospect category but i suggest you do more homework in deciding what's the latest reason why "thing's aren't looking great there" (the top end center thing is a legit concern).

I look forward to the Rangers declining and missing the playoffs narratives to once again fall flat on its face this year :popcorn:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I don't think anyone actually expects the Rags to miss the playoffs now that they have Shattenkirk.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
How did Holland go from being so revered to being made fun of by people?

He was always humble. People always fawned over him "the Detroit model"

He woukd always be asked about it. He's like we have guys like Dats , Zetterberg, Lidstrom, etc, etc. I keep guys in the minors because we aren't picking at the top. The kids aren't ready. I have no choice.

That's what you can do once you hit some gems and have a nice core. Let the guys simmer.

I just thought this "Detroit model" stuff was always so over the top. Most teams want to keep guys down to season as well.

Unable to sustain success for that 3rd decade. Certainly not a bunch of whining from spoiled fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad