Worst Outlooks

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
How did Holland go from being so revered to being made fun of by people?

He was always humble. People always fawned over him "the Detroit model"

He woukd always be asked about it. He's like we have guys like Dats , Zetterberg, Lidstrom, etc, etc. I keep guys in the minors because we aren't picking at the top. The kids aren't ready. I have no choice.

That's what you can do once you hit some gems and have a nice core. Let the guys simmer.

I just thought this "Detroit model" stuff was always so over the top. Most teams want to keep guys down to season as well.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
How did Holland go from being so revered to being made fun of by people?

He was always humble. People always fawned over him "the Detroit model"

He woukd always be asked about it. He's like we have guys like Dats , Zetterberg, Lidstrom, etc, etc. I keep guys in the minors because we aren't picking at the top. The kids aren't ready. I have no choice.

That's what you can do once you hit some gems and have a nice core. Let the guys simmer.

I just thought this "Detroit model" stuff was always so over the top. Most teams want to keep guys down to season as well.

There is nothing wrong with the "Retool on the Fly" model but it is fraught with risk if you extend the wrong guys. R-o-t-F requires healthy cap room to be able to bring in new players regularly and I think Detroit got it wrong and will now have to rely on the tank model instead, but goddam if switching models doesn't mean 5-10 wasted years of pain.

This is why I'm pleased the Rangers were able to move Stepan, let TB inherit first Callahan and now Girardi leaving only Staal to buy out next year. They also got Smith and Shattenkirk only until they're 32.

As for keeping guys in the minors until they're ready, I think we all agree with that.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I dont think McDavid could put Detroit in the playoffs to be honest. They are just a bad team right now.

Complete and utter hyperbole. For comparison this wings roster is better than the Wings last two playoff teams minus datstuk (as in if you added Datsyuk and took away Nielsen, they'd be better)

McDavid in 2017 is >>>>> near retirement Datsyuk.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Taking into consideration players, contracts, coaches, GM, etc, which team do you believe is in the worst shape?

Montreal & Detroit are at the top for me. One has no # 1 C, No great prospects, goalie who will keep them from rebuilding, hire only French people. The other has long term contracts tied up in average players ( All over 30). They also have a GM who is hell bent on squeaking into the playoffs by all means necessary.

Minnesota is another for me. Imo they don't have one player who is truly " Elite". They will also have to deal with the Parise & Suter boat anchor deals soon. Always good enough to make the playoffs. Never great enough to do damage.

I think your problem with Minnesota is they are Old but they are also Young.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Complete and utter hyperbole. For comparison this wings roster is better than the Wings last two playoff teams minus datstuk (as in if you added Datsyuk and took away Nielsen, they'd be better)

There's a ton of hyperbole surrounding the Wings and their situation. They have a lot of solid/average/promising players that would look a lot better with 1 or 2 elite players in the mix. While that can be said about several teams, Wings are the only ones who haven't been drafting top 10 for decades, they've never been in the position to draft anything more than long-shot prospects. Unlike a lot of other teams, there's reason to think they can actually make the most out of the improved draft position and additional depth picks. When the Wings strike gold in the draft, their turnaround will be swift. Only question is if the hockeygods will let them have any kind of lottery luck, that's something that can impact the timeframe by years.

Sheldon Keefe

Generational Handshaker
Dec 22, 2011
- Zetterberg and Vanek were by FAR Detroit's best players last season.
- The farm is barren.
- Holland sucks.
- Blashill sucks.

The team is doomed for at least a decade.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
If the devils can get the #1 pick this year (looks like they're gonna have a decent shot), then they'll be pretty well set up.. That roster looks very bad right now though, even with Hischier. Detroit isn't in good shape either. Also, what the **** is Vancouver doing

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Surprised this isn't the answer more, one of the worst teams in NHL history last year, made zero positive change this offseason yet, lost arguably there best goalie to expansion draft. What's the plan for the next year? Rebuild? Pray that last year was a fluke that could turn around? Best player doesn't want to play there but can't get traded. Insane, a mess of a team

Currently, the Avalanche will be without seven players from 16/17 who played 60 or more games (almost, Wiercioch played 57. Regardless of who they're replaced with, but especially if at least three are Jost, Greer and Compher who were call-ups last year at varying points with success it's an improvement to be rid of that much of a terrible roster. Effectively that's two forward lines and a d-pairing that's being replaced, and in this instance it actually is literally impossible for their replacements to be any worse.

Pickard is not better than Varlamov.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

They arent a McDavid away from making the playoffs. Adding the best player in the league would be great but it does not fix our awful defense or subpar goaltending.

You are also failing to mention the amount of players that has regressed the last 2 years mainly Kronwall and Ericsson.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas has Benn & Seguin. Blues have Tarasenko. Chicago has Kane. Preds have RyJo & Forsberg. Who is the big scorer on the Wild? They have a lot of nice, not great, pieces.
Okay and only three of those teams have made it farther than the Wild in recent years.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
They arent a McDavid away from making the playoffs. Adding the best player in the league would be great but it does not fix our awful defense or subpar goaltending.

You are also failing to mention the amount of players that has regressed the last 2 years mainly Kronwall and Ericsson.

And youre not accounting the players who improved or been added

Larkin, Athanasiou, Mantha, Green...even Tatar and Nyquist. Their numbers are only lower because theyre not playing with an elite center anymore, not decrease in their talent.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I felt bad for Nico being pick overall Number 1 just to go to a team that has no future compared to Philly who are the exact opposite. Nolan hit the jackpot by sliding to 2... You don't say that too often.

Nolan felt the same way before being drafted.

:laugh:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
but how many cups did Detroit win in that 20 years? wasn't it worth it?

Well yeah. I just think the selling the teams soul thing is a fun idea. Like NYI did back in the late 70's, the folks at Barclay's are still paying the price today.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Detroit, Colorado, Vancouver, and Montreal all look hopeless to me. Montreal's at least a decent team, but I don't see a path to the cup for them, their future looks like being stuck in mediocrity unless they burn it down.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Detroit, Colorado, Vancouver, and Montreal all look hopeless to me. Montreal's at least a decent team, but I don't see a path to the cup for them, their future looks like being stuck in mediocrity unless they burn it down.

Colorado at least has some pieces that can be sold off for valuable assets.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Okay and only three of those teams have made it farther than the Wild in recent years.
Uh actually they all have. Dallas beat the Wild a year ago...

Minnesota will never go anywhere until they get an elite threat up front and Fletcher is doing nothing to help them with that.

They are set up pretty bad. As are Detroit, New Jersey and Montreal. Those are the most flawed teams in the league IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad