Worst Outlooks

TropicalAntarctica

Oct 9, 2015
What about Larkin for star potential?

Larkin has done nothing to show that he will max out as anything more than a high end 2C. No one even considers him a potential 1C at this point, let alone a star.

And the fact that he is by far their best player under 30 and their young guy/prospect with the highest ceiling...God help the Detroit Redwings

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
What about Larkin for star potential?

Larkin is a 2C tops on a contending team. All the Wings fans will praise Larkin, Mantha and AA, but none of them are top tier young stars. Factor in the aging group with massive contracts and the lack of firepower on this team, Detroit is heading into something they haven't known or felt for decades. They are going to suck for quite a few years. Who knows if Zetterberg ever plays another playoff game again with the Wings.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Montreal is in terrible shape.

Molson and Bergy have run the team into the ground and neither can even see the problem.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
One of those things...

Tampa has a great future ahead of them. Their prospect pool isn't fabulous any more, but it is because their roster is filled with young talent.

CORE
Stamkos: 27
Hedman: 26
Kucherov: 24

OUTER CORE
Johnson: 26
Palat: 26
Stralman: 30
Killorn: 27
Vasilevsky: 21

Throw in that all of Dotchin, Sergachev, Point, Namestnikov, Foote, and Koekkoek are under 23 and you have one of the best team outlooks for the next decade.

You got it backwards.

Our roster is terrible but our prospect pool is amazing.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Colorado..

Surprised this isn't the answer more, one of the worst teams in NHL history last year, made zero positive change this offseason yet, lost arguably there best goalie to expansion draft. What's the plan for the next year? Rebuild? Pray that last year was a fluke that could turn around? Best player doesn't want to play there but can't get traded. Insane, a mess of a team

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
You got it backwards.

Our roster is terrible but our prospect pool is amazing.

I think you have it backwards just a bit. While they now have Sergachev, their core is still solid. Brayden Point's up and coming, same with Vasilevsky.

They're going to do damage for years to come with their current roster (hopefully)

TropicalAntarctica

Oct 9, 2015
Surprised this isn't the answer more, one of the worst teams in NHL history last year, made zero positive change this offseason yet, lost arguably there best goalie to expansion draft. What's the plan for the next year? Rebuild? Pray that last year was a fluke that could turn around? Best player doesn't want to play there but can't get traded. Insane, a mess of a team

I agree that they are in the worser half of the league, but they have too many valuable pieces to be considered headed into the Dark Ages imo.

-MacKinnon can be part of a contenders' core as a 1RW
-Landeskog can be part of a contenders' outer core as top 6 LW
-Rantanen can be part of a contenders' outer core as a top 6 RW
-Jost should end up a contributing member of the top 9
-Zadorov at worst will be a middle pairing defenseman
-Makar at worst will be a bottom pair defenseman
-Duchene should net multiple 1st/2nd Round picks if he is traded before the 2018 TDL
-Barrie should net a good pick and prospect if some salary is retained
-Johnson is a wild card who can be kept for experience or traded for a very good return as well

but yea, after that they have literally nothing.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
About Detroit:

Can anyone explain why Abdelkader makes so much money?

gettyimages-478217904-e1456548258738.jpg

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think you have it backwards just a bit. While they now have Sergachev, their core is still solid. Brayden Point's up and coming, same with Vasilevsky.

They're going to do damage for years to come with their current roster (hopefully)

Our core/outer core (Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Vasilevskiy, Point, Johnson, Palat, Stralman, Dotchin, Sergachev) is FIRE. Our depth is DUMPSTER FIRE.

However that will likely change soon, with the likes of Raddysh, Foote, and a slew of other guys coming up.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Detroit
Colorado
Vancouver

All have problems bc of their GMs and I don't see that turning around unless the GM is replaced. At least Benning seems to have done well with the draft.

Vegas is another for the short term. It seems like they're built to get high draft picks. Maybe that will change over the summer. It seems like they did well with the entry draft. It's really too soon to tell medium - long term.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Vancouver and Detroit. Cant even finger point to one Elite player. Full of question marks in prospects/picks and uncertainty. Alot of tweeners on current roster just for the sake of having warm bodies.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Vancouver and Detroit. Cant even finger point to one Elite player. Full of question marks in prospects/picks and uncertainty. Alot of tweeners on current roster just for the sake of having warm bodies.

Look I agree that Detroit has one of the worst outlooks in the NHL but to say they don't have one elite player is foolish.

Henrik Zetterberg at 36 years old on a terrible team with virtually no support other than Tatar and a defense that can't move the puck to save it's life and the worst powerplay in the NHL just put up 68 points in 82 games.

That is elite so you will show him so ****ing respect.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Last year I said Vancouver, mostly because of their lack of talent on the team/farm and poor management. To my surpsise, they seem to be more self aware and making better decisions since the deadline.

I think this year it has to be Detroit on the basis of lack of talent and poot management. Montreal isn't as fair to name, because at the end of the day, although they don't have the talent to make a serious run at the cup, they have enough to make the playoffs or to liquidate should they decide to rebuild.

I think Ottawa is a dark horse going forward as they have the most disruptive ownership, poor management, and significant risk of losing EK in free agency. I would categorise the islanders similarly for the reasons stated above.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Colorado, Detroit, Vancouver, Chicago, Montreal, LA Kings, San Jose, New Jersey, Ottawa will all suck at various times for various length in the next 5-7 years. I don't like the outlook on any of them.

Last edited:

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Montreal i agree with too an extent they probably truely wont rebuild for at least 5 or 6 years so they will just be the bubble team they are.

Minnesota dont agree at all they have quite a few young guys coming up and Kaprizov?? Might be the real deal.

For me its thr Kings. Id trade everybody except Doughty.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
It changes so fast. A few good draft picks. A few mid round guys developing way above expectation. Winning a draft lottery.

Things rarely end up like you think they will.

Yep. It won't stop ppl from speculating, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

But for those 2-3 years from now catastrophy scenarios/teams, take Toronto. Rewind to last off-season.
Now, rewind another 2 or even 3 years. Not many people would predict in 2-3 years they would be primed to have the season they just did, and with tons of upward momentum & trajectory.

I do know that long-term bad contracts play a role and make projections easier for some teams, but still. While often predictable, things can also change insanely fast.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Look I agree that Detroit has one of the worst outlooks in the NHL but to say they don't have one elite player is foolish.

Henrik Zetterberg at 36 years old on a terrible team with virtually no support other than Tatar and a defense that can't move the puck to save it's life and the worst powerplay in the NHL just put up 68 points in 82 games.

That is elite so you will show him so ****ing respect.

He has my respective but at 36 yr old he cant just single handed carry Detroit into playoffs. 5 yrs ago possibly but the ship has sailed.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Worst outlook? I bet the Canucks will extend the Sedins (if they can lock up Horvat). The team seems quite content with their culture.

They have lost significant players (Tryamkin, Miller, Hansen and Burrows) and will begin the season weaker at every position. They will be led by a rookie Head Coach.

On paper, they are small, soft and slow. This leaves the defense with little support, exposed to hits every play. The top defensemen absorb enormous punishment and eventually wear down and take an injury. A defense like this, even if only depleted slightly, will crumble. Last line of defense is the goaltenders, two unproven guys with no steady veteran.

Next season will be like the last three. Incredibly, the Canucks may try to extend this core. They'd be alumni anywhere else.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
New Jersey. They can't attract anyone to come to their organization and they can't retain anyone. They're rightfully worried about Hall leaving as soon as his contract is up and I'm betting Schneider asks for a trade this season.

I'm looking forward to the Benedict Hall and Benedict Hischier usernames in the near future.:laugh:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
New Jersey. They can't attract anyone to come to their organization and they can't retain anyone. They're rightfully worried about Hall leaving as soon as his contract is up and I'm betting Schneider asks for a trade this season.

I'm looking forward to the Benedict Hall and Benedict Hischier usernames in the near future.:laugh:

I felt bad for Nico being pick overall Number 1 just to go to a team that has no future compared to Philly who are the exact opposite. Nolan hit the jackpot by sliding to 2... You don't say that too often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad