Post-Game Talk: Worst forward on the team with the GWG

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
um yes they did. Colorado lost and they are one of the teams we need to pass. If Minnesota loses tomorrow we will have 2 games in hand on them and seven points back. All the Oilers can do is keep winning and finish the season strong. They have no control what other teams do. They should of worried about this sooner when they were still in control of their destiny. We have a very small chance of making the playoffs but at least the games mean something until they lose a couple in a row
Colorado is insignificant at the moment. We can't be looking at them. We look at only the two teams holding the last spot.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
After watching the post game highlights its hard to believe that second Canucks goal was allowed. Make whatever excuse you need to to protect the 'dignity' of the officials, but don't tell me that 'there was no contact with the goalie'. Just brutal.

I couldn't watch today so I was trying to follow along in the GDT and I just assumed that @Del Preston had glitched the speed on his gif of the second Oiler goal. Wow was I wrong. I have no idea how McDavid can pylon a guy like Edler while going that fast. Sick.

Oct 15, 2008
I never said he was a good GM. Being better than Chiarelli isn't a good GM, that's like saying eating poop is better than eating vomit, like for starters I'm not even sure if that's true.

I never said he was a good GM. So don't come at me with that garbage.
Yup, it wasn’t Mact, it was Lowe you said was a good gm.

Like that makes much of a difference.....

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't want a medal. But if you were parrotting the "lets give Chia another chance" crap all summer long while I was taking **** on this board for saying the Oilers were gonna flush a season down the toilet because of this GM ... I think you lose the "call that poster out in a thread" card.

That's not asking for a lot.

If you're wrong, fine, it happens, but don't shoot your mouth off at posters who were right.

Youve been shooting your mouth off for quite a while at those who wanted to see patience.

So your rules work just one way then?

Stop being so full of yourself.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You’ve been riding the “dumb people who wanted Chiarelli given another year” schtick for many a post.

Humility works both ways pal. Win or lose. You’ve been enjoying the rub for some time now.

So tell me what prize did you win or are you looking for an ego polish?
He would rather the team lose so he can be like "I told you so"

It's his thing.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Entertaining game tonight, lots of shots anyway. Vancouver is a terrible team and we squeaked out the win, nuff said

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Youve been shooting your mouth off for quite a while at those who wanted to see patience.

So your rules work just one way then?

Stop being so full of yourself.

Patience in what respect? The people who wanted to see how this season would turn out with the existing management the Oilers ... well bravo I guess?

I'd rather be in the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He would rather the team lose so he can be like "I told you so"

It's his thing.

I'd rather watch playoff hockey than cheering for a 3% chance of getting in. So sure, yeah, but I don't post in PGTs to respect those who just want to enjoy the game. I like when they win too, but I prefer when wins actually mean something.

But don't call me out in a thread then with stupid bull shit. Especially when it's a poster that was dead wrong on what they were giving me crap for all summer long.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I couldn't watch today so I was trying to follow along in the GDT and I just assumed that @Del Preston had glitched the speed on his gif of the second Oiler goal. Wow was I wrong. I have no idea how McDavid can pylon a guy like Edler while going that fast. Sick.
I try to keep my gifs at real speed (0.07 seconds per frame). I had to recheck the video of that play to make sure the gif wasn't sped up.

Last edited:
Reactions: harpoon

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
They're garbage timing posts and I wouldn't think it merits the time of day.

We barely squeak out wins against two clubs going south that are clearly out of it, Nucks were tired playing a back to back and suddenly its call out posters time here because people have the balls to voice some reality here.

Even McCup, as positive as he used to be can see clearly that this is mostly illusion. This team and lineup is not good enough. Not close either.

The ONLY reason we can even pretend is the type of career seasons that our 3 top players have had. Without which this is a pretty empty lineup.

The sobering take away from recent games is that we traded Taylor Hall for a D that is steadily getting worse and worse and who realistically can't be used as a top pairing D if we're expecting to get better.

Remember a handful of seasons ago when we'd start playing really well when we were on the verge of being out of the playoffs and we still ended up winning the lottery? Well I don't think we're winning the lottery this year, but it feels quite similar.

We've got half a dozen players that could easily see themselves hard pressed to find a job in the NHL next year or could at least end up seeing their salary being cut if they don't go balls to the wall for the rest of the season.

I only caught the 3rd period of tonight's game and while I did see our lesser forwards play well defensively at times, for the most part it was Hopkins, Drai and McDavid working so hard that they're looking athmatic each time they get off of the ice. If a day ever comes that we've got a team with good overall depth and if those 3 guys are still with us I can't imagine what they'll be capable of if they aren't using all of the energy they've got in them each and every shift in the 3rd periods like that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Remember a handful of seasons ago when we'd start playing really well when we were on the verge of being out of the playoffs and we still ended up winning the lottery? Well I don't think we're winning the lottery this year, but it feels quite similar.

We've got half a dozen players that could easily see themselves hard pressed to find a job in the NHL next year or could at least end up seeing their salary being cut if they don't go balls to the wall for the rest of the season.

I only caught the 3rd period of tonight's game and while I did see our lesser forwards play well defensively at times, for the most part it was Hopkins, Drai and McDavid working so hard that they're looking athmatic each time they get off of the ice. If a day ever comes that we've got a team with good overall depth and if those 3 guys are still with us I can't imagine what they'll be capable of if they aren't using all of the energy they've got in them each and every shift in the 3rd periods like that.

You can see what even a little bit of secondary offensive help does for this team ... Gagner is not even that great of a player, but he's generally good for one or two OK plays a game ... but it's so noticable on this team because it's a literal desert outside of McDavid/Leon/RNH.

It also to me goes to show the 'culture' excuse (as in something being rotten with the players/locker room) is bull crap. They just need some freaking help upfront with more people that can create something. This team is starved for that, yelling at them for "culture" is stupid, it's like yelling at a poor starving dog for appearing lazy. The dog isn't lazy, he's lethargic because he's freaking starving to death.

Reactions: thadd

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
Entertaining game tonight, lots of shots anyway. Vancouver is a terrible team and we squeaked out the win, nuff said

Boys gave it their all. They have some things to work on, it's back to the drawing board, but they have some momentum they will take forward. They gotta play the right way and get pucks on the net, you know. They're competitors out there and we can't take our foot off the gas pedal.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Patience in what respect? The people who wanted to see how this season would turn out with the existing management the Oilers ... well bravo I guess?

I'd rather be in the playoffs.

Patience as in was the 2016 season the outlier or was the 2017 season the outlier? Turned out 2016 was Peak Chiarelli Oiler and big heavy teams are now being buried as in LA and Anaheim. The summer moves of Andrew Ladd, Milan Lucic, David Backes and Kyle Okposo are all among the leagues worst contracts today. That wasn't so obvious in the fall of 2017.

Sekera got seriously injured twice. You predicted that to happen? Talbots game fell off the face of the planet. You predicted that to happen? Klefbom played the entire 2017 year hurt, and missed a huge chunk of 2018. You predicted that to happen? Lucic went from scoring mid 20 goals and 30 assists to nearly no goals and 15 assists over the Christmas break of 2017. You predicted that to happen?

Before you break your arm patting yourself on the back, the Oilers have been a victim of some unfortunate circumstance in addition to some terrible GMing.

One could argue that with the record the Oilers have with Klefbom healthy and Koskinen playing at his Save Percentage average now, that the Oilers would be in the playoffs and if so, that Chiarelli would be gainfully employed still.

So don't go blowing your horn or castigating others who called for patience. Shit happened nobody expected, Chiarelli made some really really bad calls in a panic, and we are where we are.

You were not "right" or at least not as "right" as you yell from the top of Mount HFOil and your opinion be held on high no more than those calling for patience are the equivalent of hockey morons and whose opinions should be ignored.

At some point, you should turn the page on the Chiarelli rant, stop defending the OBC, and move on. We will have a new GM you can complain about fairly soon.

Reactions: Zaddy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Patience as in was the 2016 season the outlier or was the 2017 season the outlier? Turned out 2016 was Peak Chiarelli Oiler and big heavy teams are now being buried as in LA and Anaheim. The 2016 summer moves of Andrew Ladd, Milan Lucic, David Backes and Kyle Okposo are all among the leagues worst contracts today. That wasn't so obvious in the fall of 2017.

Sekera got seriously injured twice. You predicted that to happen? Talbots game fell off the face of the planet. You predicted that to happen? Klefbom played the entire 2017 year hurt, and missed a huge chunk of 2018. You predicted that to happen? Lucic went from scoring mid 20 goals and 30 assists to nearly no goals and 15 assists over the Christmas break of 2017. You predicted that to happen?

Before you break your arm patting yourself on the back, the Oilers have been a victim of some unfortunate circumstance in addition to some terrible GMing.

One could argue that with the record the Oilers have with Klefbom healthy and Koskinen playing at his Save Percentage average now, that the Oilers would be in the playoffs and if so, that Chiarelli would be gainfully employed still.

So don't go blowing your horn or castigating others who called for patience. **** happened nobody expected, Chiarelli made some really really bad calls in a panic, and we are where we are.

You were not "right" or at least not as "right" as you yell from the top of Mount HFOil and your opinion be held on high no more than those calling for patience are the equivalent of hockey morons and whose opinions should be ignored.

At some point, you should turn the page on the Chiarelli rant, stop defending the OBC, and move on. We will have a new GM you can complain about fairly soon.

I think there were more than a few signs last summer that there were serious problems with the way the team was built, and quite frankly I took a lot of shit for saying that and also saying other stuff like Lucic was not going to bounce back.

If the new GM is not going to do a good job, you're damn right I will give it to him. Fans should understand they don't owe the GM or "suits" of a team any loyalty. They're not players you buy a jersey of, they owe YOU a good team because we are the ones that pay the money and keep the TV ratings high so the team can operate.

That seems to be a misguided view with some fans that the GM/owner/management are somehow like the players and we should "cheer" for them. f*** that. They owe us a good team, and then they can have some loyalty, but not before that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think there were more than a few signs last summer that there were serious problems with the way the team was built, and quite frankly I took a lot of **** for saying that and also saying other stuff like Lucic was not going to bounce back.

If the new GM is not going to do a good job, you're damn right I will give it to him. Fans should understand they don't owe the GM or "suits" of a team any loyalty. They're not players you buy a jersey of, they owe YOU a good team because we are the ones that pay the money and keep the TV ratings high so the team can operate.

That seems to be a misguided view with some fans that the GM/owner/management are somehow like the players and we should "cheer" for them. **** that. They owe us a good team, and then they can have some loyalty, but not before that.

If you took a lot of shit for saying there were problems with how the team was built I took 1o times the shit about calling for patience, Chia Apologist was what myself and others were constantly called here in the 300 page Fire Chiarelli comedy thread. People like myself who were sick and tired of the revolving door at GM and Coach, and not sure if the outlier season was 16 or 17 wanted to see more of what Chiarelli would do, buoyed by a long playoff run in 16. That is not loyalty, that is merely patience borne of wanting to see a contender. Nothing more nothing less.

Seeing that he did a grand total of nothing this past summer, and bad move after bad move this year including firing a good coach over a poor roster, made my mind up. He had to go. That is not "loyalty". That is being patient as a fan of the team.

You seem to view patience with some misguided loyalty which couldn't be further from the truth and in doing so give yourself a backhanded compliment as being "The Guy" who predicted all of this. I can admit patience turned out to be folly. Now I move on. You remain stuck on this and have posted numerous times that "those who wanted to give Chia another summer I hope they are proud of themselves" and now you have a thin skin when someone says you don't post on winning GDT?

Cmon man, grow up and get off of it already, your better than that. Your a smart hockey guy. Move on.

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
I still don´t see us in the playoff race...maybe if we can beat the ****ing Leafs I will jump on the bandwagon :)
At least the Av´s have lost without a loser point...so the game day wasn´t completely useless.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
You can see what even a little bit of secondary offensive help does for this team ... Gagner is not even that great of a player, but he's generally good for one or two OK plays a game ... but it's so noticable on this team because it's a literal desert outside of McDavid/Leon/RNH.

It also to me goes to show the 'culture' excuse (as in something being rotten with the players/locker room) is bull crap. They just need some freaking help upfront with more people that can create something. This team is starved for that, yelling at them for "culture" is stupid, it's like yelling at a poor starving dog for appearing lazy. The dog isn't lazy, he's lethargic because he's freaking starving to death.

Pretty hard for me to disagree.
I've never played any team sports at a high level and people always tell me that I won't understand what they go through and I think it's a load of BS.
If you're good enough to play in the NHL confidence issues (which the culture problem supposedly effects) aren't a thing. You're in the top 0.001% of adults playing hockey if you're in the NHL confidence and culture problems aren't a thing unless you're some social nitwit like Dougie Hamilton.

Yes, we just need better players. Once 1/5- 1/8 games Juju and Kassian look like players that could help drive our offense, but that's not enough. We need guys who can be consistently effective.

And as for Gagner, I see a much different Gagner than the guy that played for us. He's seen the NHL turn it's back on him. He's been sent back down to the minors. He's still got tons of hockey left in him and you bet your bottom dollar he's going to work his ass off to stay with us because taking the plane to road games beats the hell out of buses!

If there is any culture problem it's that we have a lot of players that get rushed into the NHL and they don't go through that whole farm team phase and get to play and live with guys who haven't had it so easy. I'm a firm believer that you learn more than just how to play hockey being on the farm team but also get a nice check-up on your ego as well.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
upload_2019-3-8_5-40-54.png

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If you took a lot of **** for saying there were problems with how the team was built I took 1o times the **** about calling for patience, Chia Apologist was what myself and others were constantly called here in the 300 page Fire Chiarelli comedy thread. People like myself who were sick and tired of the revolving door at GM and Coach, and not sure if the outlier season was 16 or 17 wanted to see more of what Chiarelli would do, buoyed by a long playoff run in 16. That is not loyalty, that is merely patience borne of wanting to see a contender. Nothing more nothing less.

Seeing that he did a grand total of nothing this past summer, and bad move after bad move this year including firing a good coach over a poor roster, made my mind up. He had to go. That is not "loyalty". That is being patient as a fan of the team.

You seem to view patience with some misguided loyalty which couldn't be further from the truth and in doing so give yourself a backhanded compliment as being "The Guy" who predicted all of this. I can admit patience turned out to be folly. Now I move on. You remain stuck on this and have posted numerous times that "those who wanted to give Chia another summer I hope they are proud of themselves" and now you have a thin skin when someone says you don't post on winning GDT?

Cmon man, grow up and get off of it already, your better than that. Your a smart hockey guy. Move on.

The bolded expressed my feelings as well. My approach to life is to favour optimism but be aware that things can turn out badly. Unfortunately it can easily seem that this view is based on ignorance or at best naivety. The big problem I see is that there is far too often no grey in any discussion, only black and white. Players are either gods or bums. Coaches and GM's are geniuses or completely incompetent. And what can be even more frustrating is that positions in this regard can change on a dime.

In reality there are a lot of balanced views on the board. They can just be drowned out by the extreme.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad