Post-Game Talk: 'Worst' defenseman in the league scores OT winner: 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Clendening is still only 22 - plenty of time to learn the defensive side of things. Fact is, he's probably our biggest offensive threat from the back end right now besides Edler.

Kenins and Horvat should move up next game. Dump Higgins and Hansen to the fourth line.

Clendening has less than a handful of NHL games under his belt, he's still learning what he can and can't do vs NHL level talent. All while learning a new system and settling in with a new team.

He's looked good so far. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets put on the 1st unit PP at times when they want to open up the one timer from the point.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
You could hear the Jets chants and the overall noise seemed louder than usual.
Why are there so many Jets fans in Vancouver? Winnipeg used to have a large Canuck following because of the Moose but most of them cheer for the Jets again.

My guess is Manitoba is too damn cold and they moved to warmer pastures.

A lot of people bolted Winnipeg in the 90's and 2000's for Vancouver, most of them were born/raised/immigrated in Winnipeg back in the 70's and 80's but left and never went back, settled out west..me included.

Winnipeg has a lot of Canucks fans though due to the Moose, you'd be surprised how many there are..

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
A lot of people bolted Winnipeg in the 90's and 2000's for Vancouver, most of them were born/raised/immigrated in Winniepg back in the 70's and 80's but left and never and settled out west..me included.

Winnipeg has a lot of Canucks fans though due to the Moose, you'd be surprised how many there are..

This is true. There's a huge Canucks following in Manitoba that I've found when I've gone there for work. A lot of them have taken the Jets as their favourite team but all the people I talked to know a ton about the Canucks and actively root for us.

More of our comrades nowadays than Montreal is.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
This is true. There's a huge Canucks following in Manitoba that I've found when I've gone there for work. A lot of them have taken the Jets as their favourite team but all the people I talked to know a ton about the Canucks and actively root for us.

More of our comrades nowadays than Montreal is.

Actually last year when the Canucks played the Jets in Winnipeg there were a lot of Canucks fans cheering in Winnipeg..some of them wore the old Moose jerseys of Edler, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa and Hansen..

Winnipeg during the mid 90's and 2000's was losing people not to just Vancouver but people went to Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto to settle. It was sort of lean years for the city..I grew up in the meh era and Winnipeg was dubbed Murder capital of Canada for years...something we took proudly I might add :laugh:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Get Matthias off Bonino's line, please. I liked what I saw from Bonino today, but Matthias is a total boat anchor in the top 6. Thought the Sedins looked better with Burrows on their wing, and I'd play around with that till the Pittsburgh game where we'll need a shutdown line. Hoping Kassian takes Vey's roster spot, because frankly Vey is contributing nothing to this team. Horvat was brilliant tonight, absolutely brilliant. Edler and Tanev ate up their minutes like usual, Hamhuis was off tonight, Sbisa likely played his best game as a Canuck, Stanton looked like a shell of himself from last year, also didn't love Clendening at even strength but his skill set is apparent, and though he looked good on the power play.

Some adjustments I'd make for next game is moving Kassian to Bonino's line, seriously I'd give him a shot at left wing, I really think his game can work on the left side with Bonino and Vrbata on the other wing. I'd move Clendending up to the first movement, Edler has been a beats this year but he is not a good PP QB.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Just got back from the game, random thoughts

4th line was solid, Horvat is gonna be a beauty, deserves pp time, like Kenins motor, Peluso is a meat and way out of Dorsetts weight class so respect to him

Bonino didnt look great, Higgins was invisible and same story with Vey just got bullied out of play easily, didnt seem like any one could sustain pressure in the o zone

Dont know if its chemistry but outside the first line and the 4th no one was giving each other much help positionally at all , hard to create something when everyones watching the puck

Powerplay is just awful,winnipeg was giving them plenty of space in the middle but they stuck to the same,needs way quicker movement and someone who knows what theyre doing in front of net

The blueline leaves a lot to be desired and is sorely missing some skill, has tons of trouble keeping the puck in the zone and hitting the net

Clendening looked shaky defensively especially the first and third with a few giveaways but as the scouting report said some great puck movement he looks tiny out there , Stanton looked awkward on his skates quite a bit and handling the puck off the boards but Id rather him stay in the lineup because when hes in a rhythm hes reliable. Probably one of Hamhuis poorest games but his partner wasnt a ton of help

Man of the hour
Sbisa had a few good plays (long 3 line pass from the d zone, skated it out once under pressure, 1 good timed pinch back door and obviously the goal) but at the same time he just makes so many weird decisions that make everyone he's playing with life harder, one example was when he blindly backhanded it into the canucks corner trying to do a simple d to d pass and the jets had a solid shift of offensive zone pressure because of it.
This one didnt result in anything but I thought it was strange, he was last man back they dumped it past him and it took him like 2.5 seconds to realize the puck was behind him and he should go get it lol

Anyway had fun,Byfuglien looks like a iceberg out there and I hope Kassian slots in for Vey or Higgins next game

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Would try this next game and see how Horvat does:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Vrbata - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Kenins - Matthias - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Stanton - Clendening

Lack

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Something has to give somewhere... Hansen Higgins Burrows (when not with the twins) Dorset are all just variations of the same thing... and stoping youth

Well that's just not true. Burrows and Higgins have yielded good results in their minutes, they essentially play shutdown minutes any production on top of that is just bonus. Which "kids" are they blocking? Because I don't any that are close to NHL ready, and placing a guy like Jensen or Shinkaruk into the league when they clearly aren't ready just hinders development. When these player prove they are NHL caliber, moves will be made to give them a roster spot.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Would try this next game and see how Horvat does:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Vrbata - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Kenins - Matthias - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Stanton - Clendening

Lack

I'm with you Vanuck, although Miller has yielded great results against the Sharks this year so I'd give him the start, I'd also nitpick the second line and switch Kassian to the left wing just because I think he can be effective there.

Good roster though.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I would probably try

Sedins-Vrbata
Burrows-Bonino-Kassian
Kenins-Horvat-Hansen
Matthias-Vey-Dorsett

Play the bottom 6 equal minutes. Give Higgins a night off and hopefully a wakeup call.

Having Richardson back would be huge for us.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I like your roster too, LPH. The only thing that concerns me is not giving Horvat a possession driver, if he gets more minutes I believe his poor possession number could become a bigger issue, I also think Higgins has been better than Vey recently, Vey needs to sit imo. If SSV is reunited I'd go with.

Sedin / Sedin / Vrbata
Burrows / Bonino / Kassian
Kennis / Horvat / Higgins
Dorsett / Matthias / Hansen

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Higgins could be an option, I just have liked how Hansen has played with Horvat before. Hell, I don't mind Kassian with Horvat if that line was to get more ice time.

I can appreciate the all around game and the driving of possession by Higgins, but I'm not seeing enough jump and offensive contibution given his consistent top minutues with loads of PP time. I think a night off might be what he needs.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Kassian and Horvat is a good combination too, I've really liked what I've seen from then when on the ice together. Man am I hoping that Kassian gets into the lineup over Vey.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
I'm with you Vanuck, although Miller has yielded great results against the Sharks this year so I'd give him the start, I'd also nitpick the second line and switch Kassian to the left wing just because I think he can be effective there.

Good roster though.

I was just going by their established positions as Vrbata has played LW in the past but I can see Kassian on the left wing working too. Would open up his shot more, and Vrby can make some nice passes of his own too.

Miller vs SJS I don't have an issue with, especially if he's got their number this year (haven't looked up his SV% against them actually).

And thanks... that lineup was mostly advanced stats-based. ;) Too bad we probably won't see it. I actually think that 2nd line could do well against tough opponents.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Vey should be the easy scratch. Rookie who hasn't been performing despite being given tons of ice time.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
I wonder if Horvat could boost Bonino back to scoring again like he was in the beginning of the year...maybe push him to wing and create a Bonino-Horvat-Kassian line?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I was just going by their established positions as Vrbata has played LW in the past but I can see Kassian on the left wing working too. Would open up his shot more, and Vrby can make some nice passes of his own too.

Miller vs SJS I don't have an issue with, especially if he's got their number this year (haven't looked up his SV% against them actually).

And thanks... that lineup was mostly advanced stats-based. ;) Too bad we probably won't see it. I actually think that 2nd line could do well against tough opponents.

No wonder I liked it, haha.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I wonder if Horvat could boost Bonino back to scoring again like he was in the beginning of the year...maybe push him to wing and create a Bonino-Horvat-Kassian line?

It's an interesting concept C4L, but the problem with that is who becomes our shutdown centre? Because as good as Horvat's been, he's nowhere near ready to handle Bonino's minutes.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
No wonder I liked it, haha.

I think Horvat is the key. Everything else on this roster is largely a known quantity except for him... Going into this season we needed at least 4 good centers and could've had that with Sedin-Santorelli-Bonino-Richardson, thereby having less pressure on Horvat to be ready for regular NHL duty. But now that we're here, if he can solidify that 3C spot and allow this team to get 4 lines rolling without getting swamped we might be able to go on a bit of a run even as the schedule gets tougher down the stretch.

I'm not sure if he can saw off 3rd line minutes right now though I think he's shown improvement over the last little stretch, so hopefully that plus having two strong possession wingers in Higgins and Hansen would help somewhat in that regard.

If he's not ready before it's too late, we're probably ****ed anyway. Richardson is what he is, and as 3C is not a viable option going forward and we've known that since last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille