Post-Game Talk: 'Worst' defenseman in the league scores OT winner: 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
After some real dogs of games in the last while, that was refreshing. Can't like how the team got bounced around but can like the way they showed no quit.

Liked

Sbisa - long before the OT winner was having a very good game. Looked more mobile and a lot more assertive on the offense. Confidence is going to play a big part in this player's game.

Kenins - as he showed in Utica he is very good on the back check. Comes back through the middle as good as anyone on the team. Again went well to the body. Goals have looked a little lucky. Thought he had better chances to score in his first game, but, overall, nice to see him getting chances. Don't think he will ever be as good, but I'll stick with my Mike Keane comparison.

Lack - made some clutch saves. Nice to see him get a win.

Horvat - worked well with Kenins in establishing a strong forcheck. Should keep those players together

Did Not Like

Hamhuis - terrible game. You wonder if the injury is going to bother him all season. Fighting the puck all game and lacked speed to recover from mistakes.

Hansen - has been fading and tonight was not good. Falling down on his pivots like he does when his game tails off. Got virtually nothing done in this game.

Bonino - seemed like every shift he was in his end and struggling to get the puck out. Lots of turnovers in critical areas of the ice.

Vey - big hard hitting team like Winnipeg exposes Vey. Bumped around too much and did not play very well in traffic

Other comments

Kudos to Dorsett for again going with anyone to protect the team. Too bad he doesn't have more support. Thought his game suffered after the fight.

Glendening is exactly as advertised. Good strategic puck movement but weak down low in his own end. Has difficulty separating people from the puck and often responds to pressure but simply flipping the puck out. Jury is absolutely still out on this player but looks very much like a player who will be great at the minor pro level and marginal at the NHL level. Has to get more mobile.

Burrows plays much better when with the Sedins. When he is not with them cannot create much.

Desjardins should IMO be more interested in building up rather than tearing down Kassian. Kassian hasn't been that good and probably the scratch is deserved. But, if you take any long term view, Desjardins must be concerned with getting Kassian back to the level he showed last season. Benching him won't do that and there are others deserving of some PB times.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Pretty loud crowd at the game, not sure what it sounded like on TV. Lots of Jets fans, loud "True North" shout out during the anthem. Lots of friendly ribbing, good crowd. Great game to go to.

Loved the Eddie chant. :)

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Hamhuis - terrible game. You wonder if the injury is going to bother him all season. Fighting the puck all game and lacked speed to recover from mistakes.

He's only played 7 games since returning from the injury, and had the all star break within those 7 games too. I just think he's not fully caught up just yet. No need to get too worried just yet IMO.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Edler doesn't need to win a Norris but seriously, every game I'm in shock how good he is compared to last year. I don't care if he ever hits 40 points ever again, at 5 million providing what his is now is a damn steal.

Definite franchise defenseman for us at this point.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not a fan of the thread title now... Low brow

totally agree. He's getting the ice time he shouldn't be because of the Hamhius and Bieksa injuries.

He's a fine bottom pairing guy, he plays physical and quite poise with the puck. No complaints. Sure he is no Ballard, or Salo, but a fine bottom 6 guy.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Pretty loud crowd at the game, not sure what it sounded like on TV. Lots of Jets fans, loud "True North" shout out during the anthem. Lots of friendly ribbing, good crowd. Great game to go to.

Loved the Eddie chant. :)

You could hear the Jets chants and the overall noise seemed louder than usual.
Why are there so many Jets fans in Vancouver? Winnipeg used to have a large Canuck following because of the Moose but most of them cheer for the Jets again.

My guess is Manitoba is too damn cold and they moved to warmer pastures.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
totally agree. He's getting the ice time he shouldn't be because of the Hamhius and Bieksa injuries.

He's a fine bottom pairing guy, he plays physical and quite poise with the puck. No complaints. Sure he is no Ballard, or Salo, but a fine bottom 6 guy.

Sure, at 1.5M..maybe, but at 2.9M and soon to be 3M if we qualify him? I don't see how he is worth that..but that's for another topic.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Clendening is still only 22 - plenty of time to learn the defensive side of things. Fact is, he's probably our biggest offensive threat from the back end right now besides Edler.

Kenins and Horvat should move up next game. Dump Higgins and Hansen to the fourth line.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Didn't like the Sedins this game. Thought they were pretty much invisible most of the night. Definitely didn't play like the $14M players they are being paid to be.

Lack was solid and calm. That goal that was called off was a good call, he was run into. He had no chance on the Little goal. Good game for him.

Kenins and Horvat look great together. Even when Richardson gets healthy I would hope they find a way to keep Kenins in the lineup. In fact, that Dorsett-Horvat-Kenins is one that I would keep together for at least the next half dozen games.

Thought Clendening looked very good out there too.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Okay what the hell? We play one of the biggest teams in the league and are getting bullied.

Shawn Matthias is 6'4 223 pounds and has zero hits. Got a weak ass roughing call against him when he was really just standing around.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
You could hear the Jets chants and the overall noise seemed louder than usual.
Why are there so many Jets fans in Vancouver? Winnipeg used to have a large Canuck following because of the Moose but most of them cheer for the Jets again.

My guess is Manitoba is too damn cold and they moved to warmer pastures.

Manitobans are parasites. Friendly parasites.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Sure, at 1.5M..maybe, but at 2.9M and soon to be 3M if we qualify him? I don't see how he is worth that..but that's for another topic.

Not sure what that has to do with mocking him in the thread title after he took care of business in for us... getting us a much needed point...

Low brow... and disrespectful...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not sure what that has to do with mocking him in the thread title after he took care of business in for us... getting us a much needed point...

Low brow... and disrespectful...

Read the quoted posts second paragraph, that's what I'm discussing.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
woooo! just saw the highlights after checking periodically on my phone during the game...great to see.

is it time to bump the "emergence of sbisa as a top 4 d" thread on the main boards now?!? :sarcasm:

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
I think this would have been a perfect game for Kassian. Tons of open space, physical, lots of hits, he would have fared better than Dorsett in a fight as well.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Okay what the hell? We play one of the biggest teams in the league and are getting bullied.

Shawn Matthias is 6'4 223 pounds and has zero hits. Got a weak ass roughing call against him when he was really just standing around.

his physicality was always overrated, he can't mmake space for himself but he can still drive the net.

I like him on our 3rd line but he needs to have weak competition to have his best moves

I think this would have been a perfect game for Kassian. Tons of open space, physical, lots of hits, he would have fared better than Dorsett in a fight as well.

gotta be in for Higgins, the guy is not generating anything

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
I've seen this mistake by multiple people in this thread and it's driving me nuts:

His name is Adam Clendening. He is not Glendening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad