U17: World Under-17 Hockey Challenge 3-10 November

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
If Finland could beat Canada two times in a row in front of their home crowd, I'm 100% sure they can beat Russia tomorrow. Go Suomi!

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
2020 draft is looking like another great one for the Finns. Hirvonen, Suni and Jarventie were great tonight again. Also Lundell and Simontaival (not in this tournament) are all potential first round picks. And Raty has been great too, but he's 2021. Blomqvist in the net was the man of the match tonight though.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Finland could beat Canada two times in a row in front of their home crowd, I'm 100% sure they can beat Russia tomorrow. Go Suomi!

It's a always great to beat Eastern neighbor ( Russia) in hockey game.
But still Sweden is always number 1 rival for us there's no better hockey rivalry than Finland vs Sweden.
Don't get me wrong i like Russia as a opponent but Sweden is always Sweden and those games are special ones.

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
Don't get me wrong i like Russia as a opponent but Sweden is always Sweden and those games are special ones.
Yeah, I totally agree. Would have been great to beat Sweden and take revenge of the first game. But I don't complain about facing Russia. They are a great team and maybe the second dearest rival for us.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
2020 draft is looking like another great one for the Finns. Hirvonen, Suni and Jarventie were great tonight again. Also Lundell and Simontaival (not in this tournament) are all potential first round picks. And Raty has been great too, but he's 2021. Blomqvist in the net was the man of the match tonight though.

What did you like Roni Hirvonen in this tournament.
And do you think Hirvonen's small size ( 5'9) can drop him out TOP60 in 2020 NHL draft.

Hirvonen has been one of the best scorers in A juniors sm liiga this season.
But the game in there is so much different compared to men's SM liiga where Anton Lundell plays.
If you should compare Roni Hirvonen to some NHL center who it would be?

Reactions: jvr32

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
What did you like Roni Hirvonen in this tournament.
And do you think Hirvonen's small size ( 5'9) can drop him out TOP60 in 2020 NHL draft.

Hirvonen has been one of the best scorers in A juniors sm liiga this season.
But the game in there is so much different compared to men's SM liiga where Anton Lundell plays.
If you should compare Roni Hirvonen to some NHL center who it would be?
Hirvonen won many critical faceoffs tonight late in the game, and was good defensively when Finland protected the lead. He's a really smart reliable player, he knows where to position himself offensively and defensively. He has some really solid skill, and he's been good piece in the offense, but I think his linemates Suni and Jarventie have shown a little more offensive finesse and flash than Hirvonen has in this tournament. But I think Hirvonen has been the most consistent player in that line. Unlike from his linemates, I've not yet seen one game where he's been ineffective.

It's a really good line and I like them all. I really have to see them more to find out who I like the most. Stylistically I'd probably compare Hirvonen to Paul Stastny, not a lot of flash and not the greatest skater but he's an effective C and helps the team win.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Hirvonen won many critical faceoffs tonight late in the game, and was good defensively when Finland protected the lead. He's a really smart reliable player, he knows where to position himself offensively and defensively. He has some really solid skill, and he's been good piece in the offense, but I think his linemates Suni and Jarventie have shown a little more offensive finesse and flash than Hirvonen has in this tournament. But I think Hirvonen has been the most consistent player in that line. Unlike from his linemates, I've not yet seen one game where he's been ineffective.

It's a really good line and I like them all. I really have to see them more to find out who I like the most. Stylistically I'd probably compare Hirvonen to Paul Stastny, not a lot of flash and not the greatest skater but he's an effective C and helps the team win.

Based on these performances what Hirvonen has had in this years U17 WHC tournament what would best route for him to prepare NHL draft season and get tougher competition games to become NHLer.

Is it sign pro contract with HIFK and play men's SM liiga or coming to CHL.
But is CHL able to offer tough competition games to player like Roni Hirvonen.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Based on these performances what Hirvonen has had in this years U17 WHC tournament what would best route for him to prepare NHL draft season and get tougher competition games to become NHLer.

Is it sign pro contract with HIFK and play men's SM liiga or coming to CHL.
But is CHL able to offer tough competition games to player like Roni Hirvonen.
I don't know, in my opinion it's usually better for players to stay at home, but if you're not happy with the options/opportunities/coaching/whatever you're given, it's also good to look for options elsewhere. But it's not always this easy in reality.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I don't know, in my opinion it's usually better for players to stay at home, but if you're not happy with the options/opportunities/coaching/whatever you're given, it's also good to look for options elsewhere. But it's not always this easy in reality.

Yeah that's true.
Espoo had liiga team some years ago but it went bankruptcy due to unpaid taxes etc fees.

Hirvonen absolutely looks promising player but with that size he might turn winger in NHL.
Lets see U18 WJC's next April if he makes Finland's team then we'll know better.

Sorry for that one my fellow countrymen's took a bit heat of Lundell.
We Finns keep our prospects in high value no matter are they drafted or draft eligible.

It's a bit odd to see all that NHL talent coming from our Country but if we wanna win international tournaments we need our best players to participate and this U17 WHC is good example on that.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I expect nothing from this team because we have usually been terrible in this tournament. 23 years and we are back in the final, feels good.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Our U17 lions advancing to U17 WHC gold medal first time since 1995 and Finnish media won't even notice that.
Leijonat.fi is only hockey site which have noticed that achievement.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Our U17 lions advancing to U17 WHC gold medal first time since 1995 and Finnish media won't even notice that.
Leijonat.fi is only hockey site which have noticed that achievement.

I don't think Finnish media has ever noticed this u17 hockey challenge.
To be honest...i know very little about this tournament to begin with,
before i found Eliteprospects.com ,i barely even knew it existed.

How long has u18 wjc been on Finnish media? For a very long time it was u20 wjc and that's it,
never they even televised those u18 games, not to mention show highlights, nor told results,
you had to read it from the Jääkiekkokirja to find it all out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That seems to be the case with Holtz. Haven't liked his game at all, and it's not just this tournament. He seems to only look slower and slower relative to his peers, his hands are not quick enough, his IQ is nothing special. The only thing I really like about his game right now is when he gets open for a wrist shot in the slot or when he gets on a breakaway, there he's deadly. Wouldn't write him off just yet but I see a lot of red flags and he hasn't been one of the top players in this tournament.

I think Holtz was an early developer that looked like he could be an Ovechkin-type of talent, but its pretty clear he's not going to reach that level. I still think he's a very good prospect, and has a good chance to be a top 10-15 pick in the 2020 draft. He scores goals at a very high level, and while the rest of his game isn't elite, its good enough that it can hold up well enough to let his best skill, goal scoring, stand out. His game reminds me of Brock Boeser, who isn't the best skater or playmaker either, but its not bad enough that he's going to end up being Brandon Pirri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad