U17: World Under-17 Hockey Challenge 3-10 November

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
It's not concluded yet.

It's weird. As a swiss, one should hope for a bad tournament. His hattrick in the pre-tournament makes me feel a bit inconvenient.

To lose a prospect of his caliber would be extremly painful for Swiss Hockey.

But it's not an easy decision to make for Rochette. There are pros/cons for either side.

He's probably good enough to play for Team Canada's U18 and U20 with his peers. With excellent chances to medal. But will he be good enough to ever compete for a spot on the Senior team with its deep pool of talent? It's certainly a risk.

For Switzerland he could play a big role in the junior teams even as an underager. But has close to no chances to medal. With a proper development he's got all the chances in the world to be relevant for the senior team as well, thus an outlook on going to the Olympics in the future, and playing some WHCs for a team, that has shown recently to be very competitive when things working well.

He stated in the summer that he tends to play for the nation he mostly grew up in. But he sad that in Switzerland to a swiss journalist, so...

Short-term, I guess, it forces the Swiss Federation to answer the strong luring of Hockey Canada by pretty much making Rochette a lock for the U20 WC... as a triple-underager. Otherwise he would have only a small chance to make the team.

Anyway, if he ever plays an offical ranking tournament for either side, he'll be locked out of a nation swap for 4 years

I guess this clears that up:

Coming to Canada

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
It's his life, but honestly, this is bad for hockey

It’s not even a foregone conclusion that he’s going to play for Canada yet. Until he’s played for Canada in a IIHF Sanctioned event, I wouldn’t read too much into what him or Hockey Canada are saying.

Logan Brown intended to play for Canada too but then he didn’t make the U18 Ivan Hlinka team going into his draft year and ultimately decided to play for team USA as a result.

He’s a very good player but it’s not a foregone conclusion that at this time next year he’s going to make the U18 team and then he could ultimately decide to go back to playing for Switzerland. Who could also offer him the opportunity to play at the WJC as a 16 year old this year and a great platform for his draft year.

Obviously it’s quite possible the kid wants to play for Canada but until he does and is locked into it, then nothing is for certain.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Will Hockey Canada ever shuffle the groups a bit? For the 4th year in row the Czech Republic plays Russia in the quarters.

Reactions: czechcanadian

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
I feel all teams are so even that anyone can beat anyone. Finns 2-0 up against Canada White after the 1st

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Czechs always suck at this tournament, but the finishing ability of our players actually seems to be getting worse, either fire a rocket wide of the net or a muffin at the goalie.
Considering the "amazing" results the Czechs have achieved the past two years it wouldn't surprise if Hockey Canada decided to invite Slovakia or Switzerland instead of us, at least every other year. (Like they used to.)

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Canada White ties it up 3-3. Suni had an open net while goalie was pulled but missed the net!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That almost was a good ol' Finnish choke job. Good thing they managed to pull through in the SO, at least.

Reactions: Pardus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->