Prospect Info: World Junior Championships 2015-2016

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
Im glad the canadien team was sent home. À bunch of big egos. Bye bye.
Sweden wins this.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I can't help but think the Finns are going to go 2 and 3 in the draft after Matthews. They're both fantastic. Unbelievable players.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So guess all the Devil prospects are out? Are there any at all on the US-Russia-Sweden-Finland teams?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
You don't make it out of the round robin that's more than coaching that is a deficit of talent and or motivation.

Be interesting to do a where are are they now 6 or 7 years from now with this Canadian team....betcha as a whole it doesn't bode well.

Canada has the talent to make it out of the round robin without a coach at all. They should have won the whole tournament, and Lowry(an average junior coach) made an absolute mess of things.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i love hw canadian fans like to discredit blackwood more than give credit to laine. that was a rocket

It does sound like Blackwood was Marty Stadium Series type bad...especially given how that first goal turned the game around. **** happens to goalies sometimes though.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Wow..watchign the replay of the Can-Fin game and sure, Canada's D was pretty bad but can't say the Blackwood sin;t crap the bed in this game..he could;t make a simple save, was typically out of position on most of the goal mouth shambles, had a bad angle go in between him and the pipe, left a juicy rebound sitting 2 feet in front of the net...just all kinds of bad.....

I felt his glove hand was shaky but he's big and usually pretty sound positionally, just looked way out of it today....Finland gained confidence with that first goal and just steam rolled from there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Canada has the talent to make it out of the round robin without a coach at all. They should have won the whole tournament, and Lowry(an average junior coach) made an absolute mess of things.

I don't know...opposing forwards attacked the Canadian net unmolested throughout the tournement. Canada's defense looked awful to me. So many times Canadian defenders were caught standing still or allowing players to blow past them. The Aho 5th Finn goal against Canada, Chabot looked like a child against men.

Another thing that popped out at me was how many defensive zone draws Canada lost.

I don't think this Canadian team was good at all.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I don't know...opposing forwards attacked the Canadian net unmolested throughout the tournement. Canada's defense looked awful to me. So many times Canadian defenders were caught standing still or allowing players to blow past them. The Aho 5th Finn goal against Canada, Chabot looked like a child against men.

Another thing that popped out at me was how many defensive zone draws Canada lost.

Agreed, they weren't good at all. At least relative to the other big teams. Defense was an issue all tournament long, there wasn't really that go to guy back there that could play, and excel, in all situations. Mack Black could have been a lot better, he'll probably be the first to admit that. But it's a short tournament and coming off a lengthy suspension, it looked like he never got into the groove of his game. He really should have been pulled after the third goal. Even if the coach has more confidence in him, he needs to realize Blackwood just wasn't on his game. The biggest problem was the penalty trouble. The third period alone they pretty much lost due to careless penalties.

Oh well, still a really fun game to watch today. And give credit where it's due, the Finns were unbelievable. That first line is the real deal. I'd love to watch Jesse and Laine more this season because what they did in this tournament so far is nothing short of spectacular. Puljs looks like a step above Laine, but both great players. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the whole thing, just off that line alone they have a good chance at doing so.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Agreed, they weren't good at all. At least relative to the other big teams. Defense was an issue all tournament long, there wasn't really that go to guy back there that could play, and excel, in all situations. Mack Black could have been a lot better, he'll probably be the first to admit that. But it's a short tournament and coming off a lengthy suspension, it looked like he never got into the groove of his game. He really should have been pulled after the third goal. Even if the coach has more confidence in him, he needs to realize Blackwood just wasn't on his game. The biggest problem was the penalty trouble. The third period alone they pretty much lost due to careless penalties.

Oh well, still a really fun game to watch today. And give credit where it's due, the Finns were unbelievable. That first line is the real deal. I'd love to watch Jesse and Laine more this season because what they did in this tournament so far is nothing short of spectacular. Puljs looks like a step above Laine, but both great players. I wouldn't be surprised if they won the whole thing, just off that line alone they have a good chance at doing so.

My feelings as well. Blackwood wasn't on his game but he also showed up late so he seemed off.

Canada's D was terrible though. They gave him no chance to ever settle in.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
This is the perfect situation for Blackwood to show what he is made of, especially for a goalie who is so talented as him. Mental strength is probably the most important ability for a NHL goalie no matter how good you are. He has showed in junior that he can carry he's team and that he has the physical attributes now he can proved that he has the mental. He will get so much bad press the next couple of weeks. I hope somebody sits down and talk these things through with him that will do him good.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

someone on TV said that this years D wouldnt crack the top 4 of last years team

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was thinking this with the Americans, with Mathews this year, Eichel last year, Jones the year before, real top end talent, but are we seeing a closing of the talent gap worldwide?

I know there have been times where it really looked like the Russians were pushing the Canadians, and the Swedes and Finns have been prominent players on the world stage for a while, but has the overall pool ever been this strong? Even the dissapointing finish of the USA team last year, with a player the caliber of Eichel, is that not evidence of the raising of talent levels around the world?

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
i was wrong. Finland is really good. But Sweden managed to shut down the first line.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Russia looks like the better team. They are throwing the US players around.

And now it's tied. US looks pretty lax.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3