Prospect Info: World Junior Championships 2015-2016

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Didn't see a thread for this and it's kind of spreading across the other threads.

I might take some heat for this, but Matthews hasn't impressed me at all in the last two games, especially not compared to Eichel.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
eh its a short tourney and things happen.

Eichel looked better than McDavid last year too and that didn't mean anything.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Our prospects are either suspended or injured?

Zacha is day-to-day.

Blackwood should be back after Canada's game today. Probably will get the next start and depending how well MacDonald plays tonight, he will start if he plays well.

Quenneville has been playing though.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
eh its a short tourney and things happen.

Eichel looked better than McDavid last year too and that didn't mean anything.

Agreed, it's too short of a tournament to come to draw much from it at all. I personally don't draw anything from this tournament. It's fantastic to watch, and I love seeing our prospects in action (maybe not this year :sarcasm:) but I can't see how it should change people's opinions of these players.

Good news is at this rate we'll definitely see Blackwood play next game, and possibly take over for the rest of the tournament.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Quenneville is killing the Marner-Point line. It is a bit depressing really.

Prototypical Devils pick. Safe, reliable but completely uncreative.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I might take some heat for this, but Matthews hasn't impressed me at all in the last two games, especially not compared to Eichel.

Eichel has more flash to his game. I liked the description I saw a few months back about Matthews being closer to Dylan Strome but with a better first step.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Quenneville is killing the Marner-Point line. It is a bit depressing really.

Prototypical Devils pick. Safe, reliable but completely uncreative.

It really is sad to watch. But I think it's just that his skill level isn't close to that of Marner and Point's right now. He should still be a decent NHL-er, but he's not an elite forward like the other two.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hahaha, serves us right.

Nice. Good for him. Maybe he'll get going.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Would also be nice to go a day without having people looking back at past decisions in hindsight or trashing on the players we have on this team too.

Would also be nice to go a day without having people constantly making excuses for past decisions and draft picks when fans want to discuss them.
Especially when fans had wanted a certain player(s) at the time of that said draft or decision.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Why are people expecting Quenneville to keep up with Marner and Point? That would be like expecting Henrique to keep up with Benn and Ovechkin. He's a fine player and a fine prospect, but comparing him to cream of the crop prospects is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Even getting a chance to play with them is a huge compliment. Not scoring here isn't going to ruin his career or anything. JQ will be a fine 2nd/3rd line tweener for us, regardless of whether he scores on a glorified all-star team or not.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think we've got to be pretty pleased with how JQ has done. He not only made the team but has earned (in the coaching staff's eyes, anyway) the chance to play on the top line. He's had a strong season so far, and this is a great opportunity for him. Let's hope he learns a lot from this experience. I'm optimistic that he could be a useful player for us in the NHL based on his play this season.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Why are people expecting Quenneville to keep up with Marner and Point? That would be like expecting Henrique to keep up with Benn and Ovechkin. He's a fine player and a fine prospect, but comparing him to cream of the crop prospects is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Even getting a chance to play with them is a huge compliment. Not scoring here isn't going to ruin his career or anything. JQ will be a fine 2nd/3rd line tweener for us, regardless of whether he scores on a glorified all-star team or not.

This. He's not supposed to be a flashy player, and that's why he fits on a line with skilled guys like Point and Marner. He's good defensively and he's willing to grind in the corner and create traffic in front of the net, where Point and Marner aren't as strong. Funny that people write off Quenneville's goal as a weird bounce. That's exactly why he's on that line. Go to the dirty areas of the ice and create traffic for Marner and Point with the puck.

Edit: I just watched the replay and Ray Ferraro mentioned that right before that shift, one of the coaches was speaking to Quenneville and pointed to the front of the net. Like I said, that's the reason he's on the line. Play physically and get to the front of the net.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Would also be nice to go a day without having people constantly making excuses for past decisions and draft picks when fans want to discuss them.
Especially when fans had wanted a certain player(s) at the time of that said draft or decision.

And constantly complaining about it is going to change what?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
There's nothing more to say about the previous regime's take on things.

No secrets here: Lou and Conte were able to identify sharp, hardworking, safe players. Zajac, Henrique, Josefson. JQ certainly looks to be in that classic mold. So I'm happy with him, especially at 30.

But I don't think I need to make the case that we need a significant injection of high-end skill and my comments about JQ were more directly related to that.

This is the way the game is going. What guys like Zajac and JQ represent are facets of the game that will always be needed - intelligence, responsibility, hard work - prototypical Devils values. But with less time and space than ever on the ice, I am glad we are making the transition to having our cake and eating it too (smart, safe guys who can also create). You need to move the puck and your feet quickly. To capitalize on chances efficiently. Winning board battles and keeping a smart stick is no longer good enough to keep you in the league. (Not suggesting that JQ will be out of the league quickly or anything either...)

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
This. He's not supposed to be a flashy player, and that's why he fits on a line with skilled guys like Point and Marner. He's good defensively and he's willing to grind in the corner and create traffic in front of the net, where Point and Marner aren't as strong. Funny that people write off Quenneville's goal as a weird bounce. That's exactly why he's on that line. Go to the dirty areas of the ice and create traffic for Marner and Point with the puck.

Edit: I just watched the replay and Ray Ferraro mentioned that right before that shift, one of the coaches was speaking to Quenneville and pointed to the front of the net. Like I said, that's the reason he's on the line. Play physically and get to the front of the net.

When he was playing with Strome and Marner in game one, he was always third man high even though he wasn't the center. I'm not sure if that's what he was told. He could be a bit confused if he's hearing different messages from the coaching staff.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
JQ has a lot more talent than you guys are giving him credit for. He has speed and a shot that many of our previous so called "safe" picks only dream of. Let's not pigeonhole him as Stefan Matteau quite yet.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
JQ has a lot more talent than you guys are giving him credit for. He has speed and a shot that many of our previous so called "safe" picks only dream of. Let's not pigeonhole him as Stefan Matteau quite yet.

I don't know if Matteau should be categorized as a safe pick. I think there was hope that there was hidden power forward potential there. But the offensive game has yet to materialize.

And it seems questioning his motivation has become a more real thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad