OT: World Cup

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My Dad was from Cologne Germany area (same place as Draisaitl) so I've had the bug since the 70's. Seen Germany win 3 times during my lifetime so pretty blessed with that. Sad thing is my dad (RIP) didn't get a chance to see Germany win the last WC which was the best of the German wins imo. Germany had been building up to that one since around 2000 in revamping their whole national program.

One thing about the WC is to get into the whole atmosphere of it. The crowds, the chants, songs, celebration. Such atmosphere. I do think England broadcasts capture it best if you can ever get them Their calls of games are the best imo. They have better, and more interesting commentary.

How old is your son? I can see him being a Ronaldo fan. Great player. I have a soft spot for Portugal and always have. Also Spain, Italy, Brazil. if Germany ever has to lose to any I prefer it to be to those Nations. Italy didn't even make it this time.

enjoy getting into the WC.

Cool. Drai is a special player for sure, I was really hoping that we'd land him or Ekblad in that draft.

Your dad likely did see it, just from a better viewing point than what you had :)

I need to find where I can watch streams or replays.

Just turned 8. He is built like an offensive lineman and can kick the ball harder than any kid his age that I've seen. Really good ball control too, being cut from my cloth he isn't the fastest of runners or have the most stamina, but he loves the sport and really enjoys playing it. Damn near scored from mid field in his last match.

Thanks, I look forward to learning from veteran fans like yourself.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Seeing the Brazil vs Canada match at Commonwealth and Canada stunning Brazil in front of over 50K fans is still a hilite for me. So I've had a hint of that atmosphere.

Heres an interesting thing. I would have gone to the 2014 WC and had a strong feeling Germany would win it all but I had concerns (safety) about it being in Brazil. So we decided not to go but that would rank as one of those life do overs that a person would want back.

But yeah, The COE hasn't seen anything like this. WC is huge. This city will be hopping for a few weeks. Great news for Edmonton.

I should note that by 2026 the ICE District will be mostly complete and it will be warm weather so I expect the city to be absolutely crazy during that time.

I would expect crowds of 10K easy in the ICE Plaza watching some of the games on the giant outdoor TV.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Cool. Drai is a special player for sure, I was really hoping that we'd land him or Ekblad in that draft.

Your dad likely did see it, just from a better viewing point than what you had :)

I need to find where I can watch streams or replays.

Just turned 8. He is built like an offensive lineman and can kick the ball harder than any kid his age that I've seen. Really good ball control too, being cut from my cloth he isn't the fastest of runners or have the most stamina, but he loves the sport and really enjoys playing it. Damn near scored from mid field in his last match.

Thanks, I look forward to learning from veteran fans like yourself.

Thanks guy. I got a bit teary eyed with that one.

I figured your kid would be built like a football player. Where did I get that impression, heh. Congrats on the Daddy thing. I don't think I knew.

Soccer is a great sport for kids to be playing. All healthy activity and usually less injuries.
Feel free to ask me any questions on the games or tournament. The World Cup thread is often pretty knowledgeable but is about as testy as the political thread over there. heh. The impressive thing is a lot of those guys follow world soccer all the time. Being where I live I do less of that because I get disconnected from a lack of broadcasting . I try not to get ALL the sports tier channels. I'd be doing nothing all the time.

ps When you start getting annoyed at players going down like they were shot for *fowls* realize it isn't as bad as basketball..;) These guys are often getting kicked with cleats. It hurts. Damn I was a terrible defender. Sometimes my strategy was to hack the leg and deal with the consequences. I mean if a goal was at risk..

For me just watching the artful ability to place, kick, receive balls and make astounding plays on the run is just amazing. Some people watch the game and think its boring. You learn to appreciate all the skill involved and you really get it then. Its not just the goals. The skill is seen all over the pitch. Then you realize that this is a world sport that contains 100 McDavids or Gretzkys.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Whatever.

Not a soccer fan at all, but in the pool back home I always throw my money behind the Dutch. Figured they had to win at some point. Boy was I wrong. Pool is a bunch of expats so anyone in the group obviously gets to pick their home country. No Brazil, Portugal, Spain, England, Japan, France, Germany or Argentina for me. What am I gonna do this year? Belgium?

Blech, that's like cheering for Tampa. ;)

Reactions: LaGu

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Belgium, the highest ranked team which has never made it further than the quarter finals since the eighties, didn't manage to qualify for three out of the four last world championships and also didn't manage to qualify for six out of the eight last European championships (and one of the times that they 'qualified' was when they hosted, i.e. they didn't need to qualify...). Don't put your money on Belgium, you'll lose.
Belgium's ranking show why the FIFA ranking is somewhat of a joke, not completely, but it is too easy to rack up points without playing tough games.

Why are you bringing up stats that go back like 30+ years. Belgium is having their golden generation right now and are top to bottom as stacked as anyone else in the tournament. I would take De Bruyne and Hazard over any two players on the German team for instance. Lukaku is in absolute beast mode form for his country lately too. I wouldn't put much stock on how the national team has performed over the last 40 years when something special is happening with that team right now. Man for man Belgium is as deadly as they have ever been, and their starting XI is IMO as strong as nearly everyone in the tournament.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why are you bringing up stats that go back like 30+ years. Belgium is having their golden generation right now and are top to bottom as stacked as anyone else in the tournament. I would take De Bruyne and Hazard over any two players on the German team for instance. Lukaku is in absolute beast mode form for his country lately too.

On hfboards we've been hearing about this for around a dozen years. Wheres the gold though?

The bolded is odd, as Football is a team sport, and where it has usually eventually fallen apart for Belgium. Its the weakest links that make the difference usually at the WC level. Trouble with Germany is teams have often had difficulty finding where that is.

That said if Germany had an underwhelming tournament this time out I wouldn't be entirely surprised. Its hard to follow up the enthusiasm that garnered a WC victory. England is still dreaming over half a century later. ;)

On a Serious note though Lagu is correct. Its only how you fare against top nations that really matters. Beating the crap out of weaker soccer nations is just hilites.

Reactions: LaGu

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
On hfboards we've been hearing about this for around a dozen years. Wheres the gold though?

The bolded is odd, as Football is a team sport, and where it has usually eventually fallen apart for Belgium. Its the weakest links that make the difference usually at the WC level. Trouble with Germany is teams have often had difficulty finding where that is.

That said if Germany had an underwhelming tournament this time out I wouldn't be entirely surprised. Its hard to follow up the enthusiasm that garnered a WC victory. England is still dreaming over half a century later. ;)

On a Serious note though Lagu is correct. Its only how you fare against top nations that really matters. Beating the crap out of weaker soccer nations is just hilites.

Reminds me of what they're saying about Canadian basketball right now lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
England would have to score multiple own goals not to advance in their group. Its always a bit silly how the groups align. Some much stronger than others. I mean seriously how could England not advance?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
England would have to score multiple own goals not to advance in their group. Its always a bit silly how the groups align. Some much stronger than others. I mean seriously how could England not advance?

It's England. Their WCs since 1970 have been some of the most disastrous for a supposed "top nation" in any sport. I mean, Italy and France have also both had their inconsistencies, but England defiantly says "hold my beer" to both of them.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Nope. I have been following. FIFA is still being FIFA and you are going to see a lot bucks flying into their bank accounts. For maybe 3 or 4 games you guys will end up spending a lot of tax money

There is a reason why Vancouver and a few other cities dropped out.

You guys need to read the fine print of the contracts. FIFA is just getting greadier

we'll see. I don't think a lot of money will have to be spent in Edmonton.
money for the grass field. a bit to pretty up the stadium.
stuff to make the media jobs easier.
a few bucks for events and promotion. will be pennies compared to a city hosting an Olympics.
It's not like Edmonton is going to get the highest profile games.
think it will be much cheaper than you think.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Basically how this is a supposed "golden generation" but neither team has won anything meaningful.

Basketball is different. Theres the USA, theres everybody else. I mean if pros are playing. I don't follow Basketball much anymore. I will watch Team Canada if games are at Saville. Watched Nurse's sister but that's about it. Watching Basketball on telly doesn't do it for me.

One of the odder things is that for some reason Soccer and Hockey have become even more enjoyable to watch on HDTV. Basketball, being well served in the first place by Standard definition hasn't been broadcast transformed by the newer TV dimensions. In Basketball even with a lousy TV set you could always see what was going on. Soccer with a huge pitch, and hockey with s small puck have benefitted the most from HDTV. Still remember the first game I ever watched on HD. Game changer from a viewing perspective.

WC is beautiful to watch on HD. The bigger screen the better.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Basketball is different. Theres the USA, theres everybody else. I mean if pros are playing. I don't follow Basketball much anymore. I will watch Team Canada if games are at Saville. Watched Nurse's sister but that's about it. Watching Basketball on telly doesn't do it for me.

One of the odder things is that for some reason Soccer and Hockey have become even more enjoyable to watch on HDTV. Basketball, being well served in the first place by Standard definition hasn't been broadcast transformed by the newer TV dimensions. In Basketball even with a lousy TV set you could always see what was going on. Soccer with a huge pitch, and hockey with s small puck have benefitted the most from HDTV. Still remember the first game I ever watched on HD. Game changer from a viewing perspective.

WC is beautiful to watch on HD. The bigger screen the better.

Still, until a golden generation actually wins something meaningful I don't think they can be called a golden generation.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Still, until a golden generation actually wins something meaningful I don't think they can be called a golden generation.

Precisely my point. Winners of nothing. Great individual players.

That said similar was spoken about Spain at one time (not by me) and they put it together to have a spectacular side. One of the best sides I've ever seen. That golden team was formidable. Had every respect for them.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Precisely my point. Winners of nothing. Great individual players.

That said similar was spoken about Spain at one time (not by me) and they put it together to have a spectacular side. One of the best sides I've ever seen. That golden team was formidable. Had every respect for them.

I want to see how the CSA and the federal government respond to the pressure of having a team in the WC now. They can't front a team that gets embarrassed 0-3 (or 0-2 if there are smaller groups) in the group stage and expect to ever live it down. Will they pour money into development and coaching like they did with OTP once Vancouver won the Winter Olympic bid?

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017

Belgium has not been hyped going back to 2006... more like around 2010-2012 that the potential of the Belgium team started to get noticed. Their super hyped squad has played in about 3 major tournaments together, haven't been able to put it all together yet, doesn't mean they won't this time. Other teams got older and less talented, like Spain and Germany. Belgium certainly has the talent to beat any team in the tournament on a given day.

Both Germany and Belgium have very strong starting XI, but I feel Belgium has a little higher quality in key positions. I would take Lukaku over Muller, De Bruyne over Kroos, Hazard over Ozil, for instance. Courtois and Ter Stegen/Rusty Neuer is a even trade off, I would give Germany the slight advantage for the defense but not by much.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Belgium has not been hyped going back to 2006... more like around 2010-2012 that the potential of the Belgium team started to get noticed. Their super hyped squad has played in about 3 major tournaments together, haven't been able to put it all together yet, doesn't mean they won't this time. Other teams got older and less talented, like Spain and Germany. Belgium certainly has the talent to beat any team in the tournament on a given day.

Both Germany and Belgium have very strong starting XI, but I feel Belgium has a little higher quality in key positions. I would take Lukaku over Muller, De Bruyne over Kroos, Hazard over Ozil, for instance. Courtois and Ter Stegen/Rusty Neuer is a even trade off, I would give Germany the slight advantage for the defense but not by much.

Yeah, don't mind me. Belgium certainly have some astounding talent and pretty impressive for the population of the nation. Pretty much a factory. They got to be doing something right. I was just doing some playful banter.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Yeah, don't mind me. Belgium certainly have some astounding talent and pretty impressive for the population of the nation. Pretty much a factory. They got to be doing something right. I was just doing some playful banter.

Ya it's all good, for some reason I have a good feeling about Belgium this tournament, but of course Spain, France, and Germany can also beat any team in the world if they feel good that day. Let's not forget Argentina either, we all know Messi can carry that team on his back, but they have enough talent that he shouldn't have to. It's going to be a reallly, really great tournament. There's a reason why the Netherlands or Italy aren't here, it's because world football is so competitive if you're caught off guard for a second someone will overtake you. Brazil feels like the only "lock" of the dominate teams to go far. but with Neymar being recently injured and their atrocious 2014 exit who knows what will happen. I could see them earning redemption or fizzling out.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I will say this one time and won't repeat myself. You guys need to understand what is in the contract with FIFA and how expensive those 3 games will be and how little or no money the city of Edmonton will get from the games. The smallest problem is the Eskimos being on the road for three months.... Yes you read me right.

You guys need to get a copy of the contract and understand the blank check that comes with this deal.

Both Vancouver and Chicago asked a lot of questions and they walked away

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Thanks. My son is a huge soccer and Ronaldo fan, I am starting to get into the sport due to his passion for the game and the fact that some of my family immigrated from the same hometown as CR7 to Hawaii which IMO is pretty damn cool since it is such a small place.
Noooooo!!!!!

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
I will say this one time and won't repeat myself. You guys need to understand what is in the contract with FIFA and how expensive those 3 games will be and how little or no money the city of Edmonton will get from the games. The smallest problem is the Eskimos being on the road for three months.... Yes you read me right.

You guys need to get a copy of the contract and understand the blank check that comes with this deal.

Both Vancouver and Chicago asked a lot of questions and they walked away

1. There will be economic tourism benefits from the games

2. Even if there is a loss, who cares?

Not everything in life is about dollars and cents.

It's truly a once in a lifetime opportunity for Edmonton, without a significant cash outlay.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Not yet determined. This is the first time we've had 3 host countries. The expectation is that all 3 will automatically qualify, and they're expanding to 48 teams, but it's not confirmed yet.
I think they'll be there. USA and Mexico are basically locks in the new format with 6 teams qualified. Canada came in 7th or 8th in the last qualifications iirc. Not that much of a reach to let them in. First time three teams host but I doubt they'll change that rule. Stadiums will be filled anyway but hosting nations want their teams to be there. They are spending a lot of money on this, and normally FIFA takes most if not all of the profit.

Imagine if the USA wouldn't make it ... That would be a disaster of epic proportions for them. No way they will risk that to happen, so my money is on that all three nations will get the nod.

Last edited:

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
1. There will be economic tourism benefits from the games

2. Even if there is a loss, who cares?

Not everything in life is about dollars and cents.

It's truly a once in a lifetime opportunity for Edmonton, without a significant cash outlay.

This. I think massive monetary expenditures on sports are often a mistake, but this isn't the case. The expenditures aren't even that crazy, a much better proposition for the city financially than what we paid for Rogers centre. I can't think of a city in the world that would pass up on hosting world cup games.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Didn't know that. Seems a bit bush league considering Canada probably is no where good enough to make it on their own
I'd say that they need to improve, but not as much as if the format would have stayed the same. From north, central america and caribeans you normally send 3-4 teams. In 2026 they'll send 6 because of the overall increase in the number of participating teams. Canada are probably not that far from top 6 and with increased efforts the next 8 years I bet they will have a decent team inthe WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad