OT: World Cup

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As much as I have huge problems with much of FIFA and the World Cup, Olympics, et cetera, it's pretty amazing to think of a WC Cup match at Commonwealth. That's incredible. I thought the Women's World Cup was highly enjoyable.

The Womens WC and the U19 mens WC were held in Canada. Saw lots of the games and plenty of players that ended up as WC players for their respective nations.

The only unfortunate thing is Commonwealth capacity has decreased to 55K from a former 63K due to making the seats bigger when they replaced them all. Its too bad as you could sell 75K to any of these matches that will be here. Will be an unbelievably hot ticket. Word to the wise is start taking out memberships in CSA, local Soccer associations, or become a STH for FC Edmonton its the best ways to get inroads on some tickets. General public sales could be sparse. Interested in knowing what the pricing will look like.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
An aside... but lots of people hate political leaders of all stripes.

Hence the religion/sex/politics topic bans as those topics instantly divert threads everytime they come up.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
What the actual **** does this even mean? Wow, respect lost in a significant way.
Whatever.

Not a soccer fan at all, but in the pool back home I always throw my money behind the Dutch. Figured they had to win at some point. Boy was I wrong. Pool is a bunch of expats so anyone in the group obviously gets to pick their home country. No Brazil, Portugal, Spain, England, Japan, France, Germany or Argentina for me. What am I gonna do this year? Belgium?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Whatever.

Not a soccer fan at all, but in the pool back home I always throw my money behind the Dutch. Figured they had to win at some point. Boy was I wrong. Pool is a bunch of expats so anyone in the group obviously gets to pick their home country. No Brazil, Portugal, Spain, England, Japan, France, Germany or Argentina for me. What am I gonna do this year? Belgium?
Ok whatever you say man, good for you.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Remember your statement when the bills start rolling on

This is more of a concern if one specific Nation is hosting the WC. In this shared capacity I don't think similar costs will be incurred. In several past WC's there are the primary stadia, facilities, Cities requiring more infrastructure and some secondary ones that require less. With the WC increasingly becoming larger in terms of teams (48 for the tournament in question) the mode is obviously that more tertiary amenities will be involved. For sure we're not seeing any Semifinals or anything like that. Edmonton will of course be one of the tertiary locations. The places hosting more matches, bigger matches and that hosts opening/closing ceremonies and Final will of course incur more cost.

That said I do hope COE doesn't go crazy with extra spending due to this. We have infrastructure in place. FIFA will require better media facilities, different security, and infrastructure, Hopefully limited.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeap thats fine, take my money

If Canada was hosting the WC, the full WC, then yes. If Canada is hosting a mere 10 games and Edmonton 3-4 then no.

The degree to which Canada and Mexico are playing hosts in this one is being hyped with little view to how few games each nation is likely getting. When the Center of the Universe, Toronto, start bitching for more who knows if Edmonton only gets 3 games?

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can
8 years is a long time. I’m sure there’s some good players in Europe who don’t have a shot with their national teams who will obtain Canadian citizenship and make the Canadian team respectable.
Alphonso Davies is arguably the best Canadian player right now at 17 years old and is from Edmonton. In the bid he mentioned he would love to have a game hosted in his hometown of Edmonton.

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can
If Canada was hosting the WC, the full WC, then yes. If Canada is hosting a mere 10 games and Edmonton 3-4 then no.

The degree to which Canada and Mexico are playing hosts in this one is being hyped with little view to how few games each nation is likely getting. When the Center of the Universe, Toronto, start *****ing for more who knows if Edmonton only gets 3 games?

The fact we are hosting the largest sports tournament in the world is something I thought we'd never see. I didn't hear people complaining about bills when we did the same for the women's world cup.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What's the best website to follow the world cup schedule and standings?

That's a good question. FIFA site itself is often a headache. People usually go to the carrier sites like TSN or whoever. They do a better job getting that information out there. Is it NBC in US? I don't know who has rights in the US.

All the games are at weird local times. Maybe less weird given your timezone. heh.

I'm going to be mass investing in coffee.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The fact we are hosting the largest sports tournament in the world is something I thought we'd never see. I didn't hear people complaining about bills when we did the same for the women's world cup.

I'm not complaining. I love the WC. But look at Brazil. Man, that nation is decimated and a significant part due to Oly and WC chasing.

Canada at least is in better financial position.

OilersaretheMcBest

Jun 3, 2006
Oil Country, AB, Can
I'm not complaining. I love the WC. But look at Brazil. Man, that nation is decimated and a significant part due to Oly and WC chasing.

Canada at least is in better financial position.
Brasil hosted major events back to back and definitely is not as financially capable as Canada. Edmonton will be hosting 3-4 games with facilities already set up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Brasil hosted major events back to back and definitely is not as financially capable as Canada. Edmonton will be hosting 3-4 games with facilities already set up.
That and by 2026 Commonwealth is probably going to need some sort of renos anyway. There will be costs no doubt, but I don't think it will anything that wasn't going to be done anyway

Reactions: OilersaretheMcBest

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That's a good question. FIFA site itself is often a headache. People usually go to the carrier sites like TSN or whoever. They do a better job getting that information out there. Is it NBC in US? I don't know who has rights in the US.

All the games are at weird local times. Maybe less weird given your timezone. heh.

I'm going to be mass investing in coffee.

Thanks. My son is a huge soccer and Ronaldo fan, I am starting to get into the sport due to his passion for the game and the fact that some of my family immigrated from the same hometown as CR7 to Hawaii which IMO is pretty damn cool since it is such a small place.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks. My son is a huge soccer and Ronaldo fan, I am starting to get into the sport due to his passion for the game and the fact that some of my family immigrated from the same hometown as CR7 to Hawaii which IMO is pretty damn cool since it is such a small place.

My Dad was from Cologne Germany area (same place as Draisaitl) so I've had the bug since the 70's. Seen Germany win 3 times during my lifetime so pretty blessed with that. Sad thing is my dad (RIP) didn't get a chance to see Germany win the last WC which was the best of the German wins imo. Germany had been building up to that one since around 2000 in revamping their whole national program.

One thing about the WC is to get into the whole atmosphere of it. The crowds, the chants, songs, celebration. Such atmosphere. I do think England broadcasts capture it best if you can ever get them Their calls of games are the best imo. They have better, and more interesting commentary.

How old is your son? I can see him being a Ronaldo fan. Great player. I have a soft spot for Portugal and always have. Also Spain, Italy, Brazil. if Germany ever has to lose to any I prefer it to be to those Nations. Italy didn't even make it this time.

enjoy getting into the WC.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

The degree to which Canada and Mexico are playing hosts in this one is being hyped with little view to how few games each nation is likely getting. When the Center of the Universe, Toronto, start *****ing for more who knows if Edmonton only gets 3 games?

I'm still hyped. 3 actual men's WC games is 3 more than I thought I'd ever get to see in Edmonton.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm still hyped. 3 actual men's WC games is 3 more than I thought I'd ever get to see in Edmonton.

Seeing the Brazil vs Canada match at Commonwealth and Canada stunning Brazil in front of over 50K fans is still a hilite for me. So I've had a hint of that atmosphere.

Heres an interesting thing. I would have gone to the 2014 WC and had a strong feeling Germany would win it all but I had concerns (safety) about it being in Brazil. So we decided not to go but that would rank as one of those life do overs that a person would want back.

But yeah, The COE hasn't seen anything like this. WC is huge. This city will be hopping for a few weeks. Great news for Edmonton.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Seeing the Brazil vs Canada match at Commonwealth and Canada stunning Brazil in front of over 50K fans is still a hilite for me. So I've had a hint of that atmosphere.

Heres an interesting thing. I would have gone to the 2014 WC and had a strong feeling Germany would win it all but I had concerns (safety) about it being in Brazil. So we decided not to go but that would rank as one of those life do overs that a person would want back.

But yeah, The COE hasn't seen anything like this. WC is huge. This city will be hopping for a few weeks. Great news for Edmonton.

I never had the opportunity to go to that game. :P

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is more of a concern if one specific Nation is hosting the WC. In this shared capacity I don't think similar costs will be incurred. In several past WC's there are the primary stadia, facilities, Cities requiring more infrastructure and some secondary ones that require less. With the WC increasingly becoming larger in terms of teams (48 for the tournament in question) the mode is obviously that more tertiary amenities will be involved. For sure we're not seeing any Semifinals or anything like that. Edmonton will of course be one of the tertiary locations. The places hosting more matches, bigger matches and that hosts opening/closing ceremonies and Final will of course incur more cost.

That said I do hope COE doesn't go crazy with extra spending due to this. We have infrastructure in place. FIFA will require better media facilities, different security, and infrastructure, Hopefully limited.

Nope. I have been following. FIFA is still being FIFA and you are going to see a lot bucks flying into their bank accounts. For maybe 3 or 4 games you guys will end up spending a lot of tax money

There is a reason why Vancouver and a few other cities dropped out.

You guys need to read the fine print of the contracts. FIFA is just getting greadier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad