OT: World Cup

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
It's going to be a really competitive tournament. I'd take Brazil and Belgium in the final. Could see anyone of Spain, France, Germany, Argentina, England, Uruguay, or Portugal there as well. Even Croatia, Switzerland, Colombia, Poland, Denmark, Peru, Mexico, and Russia have outside shots to make a run. It will be epic no doubt.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2010
This is amazing, i hope we get a Brazil match in Edmonton.

Here's the cities the games will be hosted by, no Calgary, LOL.

DfkOdbnU0AA6OVe.jpg

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Canada part of winning 2026 World Cup bid for men's soccer showcase | CBC Sports

"The current blueprint calls for Canada and Mexico to stage 10 games each, with the U.S. hosting 60. But that is not carved in stone."

Edmonton isn't a lock as they also say...
"FIFA will select up to 16 host cities from the 23 candidates proposed in the North American bid."

we can still lose out. FIFA might want Toronto and Montreal over Edmonton.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It's going to be a really competitive tournament. I'd take Brazil and Belgium in the final. Could see anyone of Spain, France, Germany, Argentina, England, Uruguay, or Portugal there as well. Even Croatia, Switzerland, Colombia, Poland, Denmark, Peru, Mexico, and Russia have outside shots to make a run. It will be epic no doubt.
Belgium, the highest ranked team which has never made it further than the quarter finals since the eighties, didn't manage to qualify for three out of the four last world championships and also didn't manage to qualify for six out of the eight last European championships (and one of the times that they 'qualified' was when they hosted, i.e. they didn't need to qualify...). Don't put your money on Belgium, you'll lose.
Belgium's ranking show why the FIFA ranking is somewhat of a joke, not completely, but it is too easy to rack up points without playing tough games.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
It’s not confirmed, but all signs point to 3 Canadian cities splittong 10 games (4-3-3)

The CSA has indicated their expectation is all 3 cities host games

Terry Jones who has connections with the CSA, goes one step further stating Edmonton will host Canada’s home opener

This would be the biggest event this city will experience. Truly once in a lifetime.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I would like to believe that they will do Edmonton and one of the Eastern cities.

I would like to think so too, especially with all Edmonton has done to support soccer over the years.
I'd pick Edmonton and Toronto, if there can only be two Canadian cities.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Canada part of winning 2026 World Cup bid for men's soccer showcase | CBC Sports

"The current blueprint calls for Canada and Mexico to stage 10 games each, with the U.S. hosting 60. But that is not carved in stone."

Edmonton isn't a lock as they also say...
"FIFA will select up to 16 host cities from the 23 candidates proposed in the North American bid."

we can still lose out. FIFA might want Toronto and Montreal over Edmonton.

The Canadian and Mexican locations are set. Both will get 3 host sites, and the proposal only lists 3 cities from each country. It's the US that still needs to narrow down from 16 to 10 sites.

Reactions: Gord

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
a world cup game in Edmonton. something I would have not imagined possible ever. even in dreams.

even if you're not a soccer fan, you have to get behind this.
If not, you're a sad, sad person.

The city is going to rock for this!

edit: ha ha Vancouver. suck it!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
a world cup game in Edmonton. something I would have not imagined possible ever. even in dreams.

even if you're not a soccer fan, you have to get behind this.
If not, you're a sad, sad person.

The city is going to rock for this!
For sure. None soccer fan and I'd go. Keep in mind though this City has a whole does pretty good on these one off events, so I think the support would be quite huge for a one of event that is one of the biggest in the world.

Unfortunately I bet tickets will be ridiculous to come by. There are a ton of immigrants that come from Countries where soccer is #1. I couldn't imagine if they had an Italy game here.

Then add that we are the only City in Western Canada to host a game and I think you get a lot of people from out of town.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Is it common for Countries that don't make it to host games?
Maybe I am miss-understanding what you are saying here, but as a host country you are automatically qualified. So Mexico, USA and Canada will play in the 2026 WC for sure.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe I am miss-understanding what you are saying here, but as a host country you are automatically qualified. So Mexico, USA and Canada will play in the 2026 WC for sure.
Didn't know that. Seems a bit bush league considering Canada probably is no where good enough to make it on their own

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Will they commit to bringing grass back to Commonwealth? That is a world cup requirement i do believe - and I don't think they will accept fake grass like they did for the Womans.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Didn't know that. Seems a bit bush league considering Canada probably is no where good enough to make it on their own
8 years is a long time. I’m sure there’s some good players in Europe who don’t have a shot with their national teams who will obtain Canadian citizenship and make the Canadian team respectable.

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Not yet determined. This is the first time we've had 3 host countries. The expectation is that all 3 will automatically qualify, and they're expanding to 48 teams, but it's not confirmed yet.

Reactions: LaGu

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
As much as I have huge problems with much of FIFA and the World Cup, Olympics, et cetera, it's pretty amazing to think of a WC Cup match at Commonwealth. That's incredible. I thought the Women's World Cup was highly enjoyable.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Belgium, the highest ranked team which has never made it further than the quarter finals since the eighties, didn't manage to qualify for three out of the four last world championships and also didn't manage to qualify for six out of the eight last European championships (and one of the times that they 'qualified' was when they hosted, i.e. they didn't need to qualify...). Don't put your money on Belgium, you'll lose.
Belgium's ranking show why the FIFA ranking is somewhat of a joke, not completely, but it is too easy to rack up points without playing tough games.

Belgium=STL or Tampa for those not as familiar with soccer. Legends in their own minds that never put it together.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
8 years is a long time. I’m sure there’s some good players in Europe who don’t have a shot with there national teams who will obtain Canadian citizenship and make the Canadian team respectable.

Yep, the Canadian league is designed so that Canada can make some headway in retaining players, developing, and building a credible National side. Plus as you say we will get benefit of some migrant players.

Great news for Canada but would like to see more of the games played in Canada, and here in Edmonton.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
That whole Lopetegui case made me laugh out loud. Two days before the WC they all pull off a move like this, I wonder if these guys at the spanish football federation can fire themselves.. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->