OT: World Cup

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
This. I think massive monetary expenditures on sports are often a mistake, but this isn't the case. The expenditures aren't even that crazy, a much better proposition for the city financially than what we paid for Rogers centre. I can't think of a city in the world that would pass up on hosting world cup games.
If the city has a stadium of course it is an obvious yes, if not ... There is a reason why the number of serious applicants to host has gone down. FIFA pays a small part of the infrastructure necessary and then shows off their huge profits post-WC. Brazil made them 2.6 billion in pure profit ... While at the same time Brazil's economy took a huge hit.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Why are you bringing up stats that go back like 30+ years. Belgium is having their golden generation right now and are top to bottom as stacked as anyone else in the tournament. I would take De Bruyne and Hazard over any two players on the German team for instance. Lukaku is in absolute beast mode form for his country lately too. I wouldn't put much stock on how the national team has performed over the last 40 years when something special is happening with that team right now. Man for man Belgium is as deadly as they have ever been, and their starting XI is IMO as strong as nearly everyone in the tournament.
Many teams have excellent top end talent but again and again we see teams with strong collectives win. Germany, the Netherlands, Italy (haha kicked out of the 2018 WC by an even better collective in Sweden :naughty:).

Come back to me when Belgium has actually won something, becsuse if it is one thing we can say for sure about football, it is that history and tradition counts. On occasion the teams above fail but normally they are always up in the top, even during years when their top end talents is not best of the best (Italy in 2006, Germany last WC).

Look I don't want to further go into Belgium's national team, I work 10 kms from the Belgian border and 50% of my colleges are Belgian. I wish them the best but in all honesty my colleges are also confused about the fact that Belgium is ranked 3rd in the world (and was ranked 1st a couple of years ago).

Bet on them if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you :). I think a safer bet (probably with better odds) is to bet on them not making it past the quarter finals. If they face Germany run for the hills!

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I will say this one time and won't repeat myself. You guys need to understand what is in the contract with FIFA and how expensive those 3 games will be and how little or no money the city of Edmonton will get from the games. The smallest problem is the Eskimos being on the road for three months.... Yes you read me right.

You guys need to get a copy of the contract and understand the blank check that comes with this deal.

Both Vancouver and Chicago asked a lot of questions and they walked away

isn't this now already the second time you've said it?

this is the world cup. in Edmonton. biggest single sporting event in the world. here. in Edmonton.
I would bet very few people are worried about the city making money. this one is about more than money.
they way you're talking, Edmonton is underwriting the whole 60 games, not 3.

Reactions: Jaeger03

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Will they commit to bringing grass back to Commonwealth? That is a world cup requirement i do believe - and I don't think they will accept fake grass like they did for the Womans.
It would be about time they righted that wrong.

My question is where would the Montreal games be played? It can’t be at Olympic Stadium because they need grass. Wouldn’t Molson Stadium be too small? Is there somewhere else in that city to play. I haven’t followed this bid closely so I apologize if this is common knowledge already.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Noooooo!!!!!

I could post a video of Crosby or McDavid whining to a ref and say hockey is for whiners!
Football is the most popular sport in the world for a reason and Ronaldo is one of the greatest players and pure athletes the world has ever seen!
Watch the world cup this year you'll enjoy it!

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Didn't know that. Seems a bit bush league considering Canada probably is no where good enough to make it on their own

Though it is called the world cup, the best countries in the world aren't actually in there.
They have to qualify certain countries from every location, and sometimes great countries like Italy, Chile and the Netherlands don't get in, which waters down the competition in the group stages.
You can fairly easily go through all the groups and pick your 2 to qualify to the next round, and the 2 minnows.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Though it is called the world cup, the best countries in the world aren't actually in there.
They have to qualify certain countries from every location, and sometimes great countries like Italy, Chile and the Netherlands don't get in, which waters down the competition in the group stages.
You can fairly easily go through all the groups and pick your 2 to qualify to the next round, and the 2 minnows.

This is ridiculous. Italy and Netherlands are among the world's best teams if we think historically, but if they wanted to be included among the best for this tournament they shouldn't have crashed and burned so hard in qualifying. Yes the qualifying favors teams from outside Europe or South America, but at the same time, Italy should've scored a goal against Sweden, or played better in the rest of qualification, if they wanted to count themselves among the world's elite for this tournament. Same with Netherlands. Both of those teams were in very sub par form leading up to the tournament and that's their own fault, teams like Sweden, Peru, Denmark, Poland, etc. earned their spots and have very dangerous players. They simply had better qualifying campaigns and that's too bad so sad for Italy, Chile and the Netherlands.

Also great teams have failed to get out of the groupstage in the past, think France in 2010 or England at the 2016 Euros. The teams in the world cup earned their spots fair and square, Chile, Italy, and the Netherlands aren't there purely because other teams performed better in qualification.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
This is ridiculous. Italy and Netherlands are among the world's best teams if we think historically, but if they wanted to be included among the best for this tournament they shouldn't have crashed and burned so hard in qualifying. Yes the qualifying favors teams from outside Europe or South America, but at the same time, Italy should've scored a goal against Sweden, or played better in the rest of qualification, if they wanted to count themselves among the world's elite for this tournament. Same with Netherlands. Both of those teams were in very sub par form leading up to the tournament and that's their own fault, teams like Sweden, Peru, Denmark, Poland, etc. earned their spots and have very dangerous players. They simply had better qualifying campaigns and that's too bad so sad for Italy, Chile and the Netherlands.

Also great teams have failed to get out of the groupstage in the past, think France in 2010 or England at the 2016 Euros. The teams in the world cup earned their spots fair and square, Chile, Italy, and the Netherlands aren't there purely because other teams performed better in qualification.

Hmmm..so you think Saudi Arabia Costa Rica,morroco and Tunisia are better than Italy, Netherlands and Chile?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I could post a video of Crosby or McDavid whining to a ref and say hockey is for whiners!
Football is the most popular sport in the world for a reason and Ronaldo is one of the greatest players and pure athletes the world has ever seen!

I really like watching high level soccer but displays like the above are embarrassing and they happen all the time in soccer. I would like to see embellishment like that get carded. Maybe that would help to stop something that desperately needs to disappear.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks guy. I got a bit teary eyed with that one.

I figured your kid would be built like a football player. Where did I get that impression, heh. Congrats on the Daddy thing. I don't think I knew.

Soccer is a great sport for kids to be playing. All healthy activity and usually less injuries.
Feel free to ask me any questions on the games or tournament. The World Cup thread is often pretty knowledgeable but is about as testy as the political thread over there. heh. The impressive thing is a lot of those guys follow world soccer all the time. Being where I live I do less of that because I get disconnected from a lack of broadcasting . I try not to get ALL the sports tier channels. I'd be doing nothing all the time.

ps When you start getting annoyed at players going down like they were shot for *fowls* realize it isn't as bad as basketball..;) These guys are often getting kicked with cleats. It hurts. Damn I was a terrible defender. Sometimes my strategy was to hack the leg and deal with the consequences. I mean if a goal was at risk..

For me just watching the artful ability to place, kick, receive balls and make astounding plays on the run is just amazing. Some people watch the game and think its boring. You learn to appreciate all the skill involved and you really get it then. Its not just the goals. The skill is seen all over the pitch. Then you realize that this is a world sport that contains 100 McDavids or Gretzkys.

I bet, no doubt his passing was a massive loss to you and your family.

Yeah, I'm not the type to share pics of my kids, etc. like how some people do on social media. I am a proud papa of 2, a boy and a girl. Thankfully my daughter isn't built like a Hulk like my son and I. My son is tracking to be as big as I am possibly even bigger, a big and powerful young guy. Very good ball skills too.

Cool, I'll be checking it out.

Yeah, I am not a fan of the theatrics of soccer, diving has never been something that I care for. The skill level is amazing, I practice with my son a fair bit and watching what pro players and even some of the kids can do really is extraordinary.

Yeah he loves it, great exercise, teaches good coordination, etc.

Noooooo!!!!!

:lol: I know that he is disliked by many, that said, having one of the greatest of all time coming from a small little island, the same one that some of your family comes from is truly special IMO.

Diving sucks IMO, but his talent is something special.

Reactions: LaGu

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Hmmm..so you think Saudi Arabia Costa Rica,morroco and Tunisia are better than Italy, Netherlands and Chile?

I'm not arguing that Italy, the Netherlands or Chile aren't top 32 teams in the world, I'm simply arguing they don't deserve to be at this tournament given their performance in the qualification process. Now I see the point that maybe the tournament would be better if more European and South American teams could qualify, but I like how the finals ensures some representation from around the world. Yes there are some group stage matches that are unbalanced as a result of the current format, but that doesn't mean advancing is a breeze. Just look at France in 2010.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I stopped watching football and cheering for Sweden when one of our best fwds did this kind of stunt in the Euro qualifications 10 years ago. Since the I am just a sporadic football watcher and every time I see something like this I kind of stop again. Guymez is right of course, I mean you can get punished for embellishment, but it is so loose of a rule that it does not work. They need to put in place suspensions and fines for embellishment. I think it will come sooner rather then later. One problem is of course that they cannot do it across the board, they need to get the top leagues in England, Spain, Germany, Italy to start with it and also UEFA and FIFA.

Anyhow, I can see that he is a great athlete, but at the same time not even three years ago he was pissed (on more than one occasion) when a team mate of his scored instead of passing him... And when your playing him hard, which a team like Sweden always has to do (otherwise it is too easy for him to run around us), he becomes the whiniest of the top whiners in the world of sports...

PS. Just to be clear, I don't like him but the above is not meant to be all that serious... I am half-kidding :D

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
ronaldo has skill. No doubt about that. But his personality or that what he shows on the field (he could be another person at home i know) is not very good, from my perspective.
He looks selfish, arrogant and a like bad loser. And he is not realy a team player. Again that is his field personality. A Mask if you want. Something he only shows the outside world.
Other players have other personalities. messi is a teamplayer, of course he is a silent one, who don't speaks that often but he passes more and i did not see him be angry or annoyed about not scoring himself that often. last season (16-17) he was close to his 300 goal. What did he? He let Suarez shoot penalty shots, assisted more and after 10 chances or so in diffrent games he finally scored himself. It think messi is not a person who is so fixated on scoring and being the best, i think that he is more about "what is best for my teammates and my team". Again that is only my opinion and if everything is wrong that is ok.

On a personal perspective i don't like ronaldo. He might be a very good player but i don't like his field-personality. It's like he never went trough puberty. He is like a 14 year old only-child who gets what he wants.
Still i respect his skills. And i know one should not try to analyse the character and psyche of a person from afar. That is not the way we should work (psychology-student).

PS: I hope Jogi kicked the butt of our players. They were so unmotivated last game. the only ones who where fresh and "spritzig" where Reus, Werner and Gomez. The rest? needs someone with a whip.
They play so complicated (there is a saying in germany: "Why do it simple, when you could do it complicated?") and that is the same thing i am criticising bayern münchen for. They are not able to adapt to an opponent who is ver defensive. They try to dribble the ball into the goal. I don't get that. try counter play, try 4-4-2 (Vfb Stuttgart against Bayern münchen 4-1) or simply shot from afar. My god is it that hard to play basic football? Sometimes the basics are what wins games. And not that complicated posassion based play style.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'll watch the World Cup because it is a major sports event. but personally I usually could care less about the sport. I prefer hockey and CFL football as it is more exciting for me. Having said that, sll the best to those who love Soccer (Football), hope it helps Edmonton in the long run.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^^On the other hand its some of the intricate play that dismantled Brazil in 2014. For instance the use of multiple dummies faking that the ball is theirs resulted in 2-3 German goals. Precice pinpoint passing on what looked like set pieces resulted in a few more. One of the reasons Germany picked Brazil apart is they hadn't seen that degree of clinical precision enough. Then look at the goal Goetze scores in OT from a brilliant pass by Shurrler. (sp?)

I do think though that Mexico and Sweden will be stiff challenges. Anything can happen in one game matchups.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
^^On the other hand its some of the intricate play that dismantled Brazil in 2014. For instance the use of multiple dummies faking that the ball is theirs resulted in 2-3 German goals. Precice pinpoint passing on what looked like set pieces resulted in a few more. One of the reasons Germany picked Brazil apart is they hadn't seen that degree of clinical precision enough. Then look at the goal Goetze scores in OT from a brilliant pass by Shurrler. (sp?)

I do think though that Mexico and Sweden will be stiff challenges. Anything can happen in one game matchups.
I appreciate the inclusion of Sweden, but it is more probable that we'll crash out of the group without any wins this time.

What is true though is that they need to play a system to perfection to have a chance, and if they do manage to do just that then they could be dangerous. Germany is impossible though, Sweden never beats Germany. Spain, Italy, Netherlands, mighty Belgium ;), Brazil, Argentina we have beaten them all in tournaments before, Germany, never... And they are in our group.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
How bad is KSA? A Russian team that supposedly isn't that good just utterly demolished them. I watched most of the game and KSA had nothing. Zip. They didn't even mount one shot that hit the net. I think it would be hard to overstate how awful they are.

It was more entertaining than your average soccer match given that five goals were scored, so I'm certainly not complaining but I can't imagine the level of play that Saudi displayed today is going to help the 'everybody should be included no matter how bad they suck' argument. Good for the Russians though. Fans were delirious.

Last edited:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
The 2026 tournament is going to be an absolute joke with 48 teams. As it stands in the 32 team tourney some teams already don't belong, just look at Saudi Arabias thrashing today.

That being said I'm thrilled it's coming to Canada and specifically Edmonton. We'll see if FIFA changes things up but it's going to be a good time.

As for the current tournament, I have France over Germany in the final and Argentina over Brazil for the third place match.

Also, Salah is confirmed playing tomorrow against Uruguay. Good news for Egypt and for the tournament as a whole. Special player he is.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
the level of play that Saudi displayed today is going to help the 'everybody should be included no matter how bad they suck' argument.

Bear in mind that Russia wouldn't have qualified if they weren't gifted a spot as the hosts. They were actually the lower ranked of the two teams today. 2/3rds of the field is very strong, and there is some oppurtunity for upsets from the lower third. I don't have a problem with the current format, it would be odd to have a world cup where only south american or European teams are present.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Europe is already the most represented continent by far, then south america. It is pretty relative to the strenght of the nations tbh. The qualifying is not perfect but it is imho the close to the best you can get. I don't mind it at all. Saudi Arabia managed to qualify over nations ranked higher, and are rewarded with a place. Good for them and the development of football in the country (I hope).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can see the scheduling of games and reported vs when they are actually on is going to be infuriating for this WC. The game which is already completed was not even showing up on my Shaw listings, was not supposed to be played until early tomorrow morning, and this is utterly discombobulated. Looked through the EJ and Sun listings and neither had the Russia game on. WTF?

TSN for some reason has been impossible to access at times. must be overloaded.

Is it too much to expect channel listings to have the actual games listed so that a person can program record? I sense this is going to be a programming mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad