World Cup: Sep 4 GDT - Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Johnny said:
I hear you, as a Leaf fan who gets out to a few games a year, in one of the last rows of the upper deck it can be frustrating... But also got to take the good with the bad. WIthout them, the leafs would not be nearly as profitable as they are... They would have had a much more difficult time locking up Sundin long term when he was a year away from unrestricted free agency, to go along with rest of the players that are able to be signed to keep the club competitive... If every franchise had the type of suit wearing stiffs who can shell out loads of cash for the best seats in the house, chances are many more teams would be a lot better off financially, and perhaps we wouldnt be looking at a lock out right now.

The question is: Was the sport better before teams started depending on corporate sales to pay the players? IMO definitely.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Ismellofhockey said:
The question is: Was the sport better before teams started depending on corporate sales to pay the players? IMO definitely.

Yeah, I agree, but thats how it goes, the game is as much a business now as anything, sadly.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
ZDogg said:
The one waving the flag after their goal? Ya she was hot... I wonder if she plays tennis. :amazed:

You guys noticed her too huh? Nice to see that we're paying close attention to the important aspects of the game. :)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Ismellofhockey said:

If player salaries were lower, do you think teams would not be after these high-spending corporate customers? I can almost guarantee they still would be. Not everything the owners do is reactionary.

Feb 24, 2004
wilka91 said:
Just cheked out the boxscore : shots on goal 28-28. Well that confirms my impression that neither team dominated this game.
The Russians though cannot score goals, and take control on the PP. That was the difference.

Sorry Wilka, but Canada had a bunch of shots blocked, and missed the net more than the Russians. Plus, Russia was just firing from everywhere. Canada outplayed them by a slim margin.

The problem with Russia is they need to play more as a team

Feb 24, 2004
Guys, did the crowd really seem that bad on TV? My theory is that the Air Canada centre building is not kind to crowd noise. I was there, and it seemed fine for noise, almost as good as Montreal. Maybe most of the crowd noise comes from the upper bowl, and since the mics are down low that was the reason.

Thoughts?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
leafs4thecup said:
Guys, did the crowd really seem that bad on TV? My theory is that the Air Canada centre building is not kind to crowd noise. I was there, and it seemed fine for noise, almost as good as Montreal. Maybe most of the crowd noise comes from the upper bowl, and since the mics are down low that was the reason.

Thoughts?
leafs4thecup said:
My theory is that the Air Canada centre building is not kind to crowd noise. I was there, and it seemed fine for noise, almost as good as Montreal.
Almost but not quite.

The CBC television crew once mentioned having to turn the broadcast volume down at a game in Montreal. I've been to both and I say it's a combination of the building and the fan base: Toronto has more expensive season ticket holders who sit there mildly while les Canadiens has a hefty amount of cheap upper bowl seats going to yahoos like me who scream :eek: :lol: :mad: at the top of their lungs in both official languages (often at Brisbois, :joker: "BREEZE-BY!!", the bum).

Nothing's like the old Montreal Forum. And the loudest I remember was the Vancouver Coliseum in '82 when as a wee lad I cheered my Canucks past Chicago (white towel power and roar galore) to the finals and them NYI scondrels Potvin and Smith.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
NYI said:
damn nice rack on that russian fan

Sorry Leafer, but I'm gonna have to agree on this one. :) Damn she was fine. She was probably the only reason why I wouldn't have minded if Russia scored, so the camera would zoom back on her.

Anyways, Canada finnishes as the only team to have a perfect record! :banana: Stick that up the critics pipe and smoke it!

AlexCvm

Jun 27, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well, I'm sad (well, not that much after all) to say that, this is just an impression (even the Canadian Press post game report mentionned it). Montreal fans were louder than those in Toronto (went to both games in Montreal and I left the Bell with ear problems! The thing that characterize Montreal crowds is that they are chanting/yelling all the times. They are very lively and excited. Montreal is a special place to watch hockey because of that. As for the loudness factor, the ACC would probably be loud if it wasn't for all the corporate seats. The real fans, those 1000-2000 that are coming every year to the Bell Center for Habs/Toronto games are lively and loud. A packed ACC with those kind of fans would be great. Problem is, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
AlexCvm said:
Well, I'm sad (well, not that much after all) to say that, this is just an impression. Montreal fans were louder than those in Toronto (went to both games in Montreal and I left the Bell with ear problems! The thing that characterize Montreal crowds is that they are chanting/yelling all the times. They are very lively and excited. Montreal is a special place to watch hockey because of that. As for the loudness factor, the ACC would probably be loud if it wasn't for all the corporate seats. The real fans, those 1000-2000 that are coming every year to the Bell Center for Habs/Toronto games are lively and loud. A packed ACC with those kind of fans would be great. Problem is, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Correct, tough for it to happen when a good 17 000 of the 19 000 or so seats in the ACC are owned by season ticket holders... really limits the availability of tickets to the general public. then you factor in the ridiculously long waiting list for season tickets, pretty much rules out all possibility of things ever changing for the better for the Joe Average leaf fan.

Last edited:

Leafer4Life

Go Leafs Go!
Oct 4, 2002
Owen Sound,Ontario
www.facebook.com
Canadian_man said:
Sorry Leafer, but I'm gonna have to agree on this one. :) Damn she was fine. She was probably the only reason why I wouldn't have minded if Russia scored, so the camera would zoom back on her.

Anyways, Canada finnishes as the only team to have a perfect record! :banana: Stick that up the critics pipe and smoke it!

C'mon, there was nothing special about her, in my opinion. In fact she was quite ordinary looking......... Anyway, I'm a girl myself, so that's probably why I don't care about her one way or the other.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Leafer4Life said:
C'mon, there was nothing special about her, in my opinion. In fact she was quite ordinary looking......... Anyway, I'm a girl myself, so that's probably why I don't care about her one way or the other.

That's probably why. All the girls I know think the younger Harrison Ford was hot and I have no clue why. :)

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I hate missing games for work :banghead:

anyways

making noise during a moment of silence(unless it's unvoluntarily) is digusting, I hope those fans got tossed out, that's pathetic.

I don't know why Kovalenko flipped someone off, for all we know someone said something disguting that we obviously can't pick up so he flipped them off.

anyways I don't know why Kovalenko is playing over Ovechkin that just seems stupid to sit a better player so an inferior player can play.

and last but not least PICS NOW OF THE HOT RUSSIAN CHICK! *is smacked by leafer*

High flyin' Habs*

Masao said:
Speaking of which, anyone heard those idiots yelling their asses off during the moment of silence? I'm sure a lot of people in the arena got really pissed off
They did?? Theire lucky non of the Russian fans (if there were any) killed the morons!!! Being part Russian this pisses me of!!!

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I have to work for the quarter final game, same with the championship game. But I have a plan, I start having the "sniffles" on my next shift, a "cough" by the shift after that so it looks like my cold is worsening, and so if Canada makes the championship game, I can call in sick and noone will be the wiser. :D

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Great game. Watched it with some friends. One friend actually predicted the shorthanded goal right before the 2-on-1 happened.

If Canada keeps playing this way and Brodeur stays on top of his game, we're in good shape.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
BruinsGirl said:
Yea...sure because Samsonov is the worst Russian player! :shakehead How about Kovalenko???

:dunno: Have you watched the Russians play? Kovalenko has played pretty well for them. Did Samsonov even play tonight? I don't think I remember hearing his name once.

cstu

May 6, 2004
Canadian_man said:
I have to work for the quarter final game, same with the championship game. But I have a plan, I start having the "sniffles" on my next shift, a "cough" by the shift after that so it looks like my cold is worsening, and so if Canada makes the championship game, I can call in sick and noone will be the wiser. :D

Ingenious! I just might have to steal that plan from you. :handclap:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Masao said:
Speaking of which, anyone heard those idiots yelling their asses off during the moment of silence? I'm sure a lot of people in the arena got really pissed off
I was stunned and extremely embarrassed as a Canadian. It only takes a few to spoil the image of an entire population. Disgusting. Shame, shame, shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese