World Cup: Sep 4 GDT - Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehc73

Jan 18, 2003
Coquitlam, BC
Visit site
Canuck21t said:
You could almost hear a fly flying in the ACC.
Yeah, it was pretty quiet. Montreal crowd was much more boistrous. Heck, even the questionable calls were barely booed. There were a few Go Canada Go chants, but the energy wasn't there.
Hopefully it's just this game, because that's where Canada is gonna play the rest of its games this tournament.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
smoothskater said:
They did?? Theire lucky non of the Russian fans (if there were any) killed the morons!!! Being part Russian this pisses me of!!!
You don't need to be part Russian to be pissed off. I have 0 Russian blood and love Canada but at that moment, I was embarrased. I really hope that some people near them scolded them or something.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I only have Italian blood in my stream and that pissed the hell out of me off. It reminded me of those morons at GM Place las year who were hollering during the moment of silence for Dan Snyder. Sheer stupidity.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:
Just cheked out the boxscore : shots on goal 28-28. Well that confirms my impression that neither team dominated this game.
The Russians though cannot score goals, and take control on the PP. That was the difference.
You can't say which team is the more dominant by simply looking at the boxscore. I thought that Canada had more quality scoring chances. Russia had some great chances but mostly they were closed angled shots whom Brodeur easily stopped. I though Canada had a slight edge thanks to an excellent defense.

Oilerboy40

Dec 10, 2003
Visit site
No need for that, and i am not blaming all Toronto Fans, but innocent children have died, no need for that garbage, gotta show some respect

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Looks like Russia really lacked guys like Fedorov, Zhamnov, Danny Markov, Malakhov, Khabibulin and maybe even Nikolishin, and Valeri Bure - they would really help to play more as a team and to be more solid overall. And imho Ovechkin wouldn't hurt yesterday either.

Last edited:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Slay said:
Looks like Russia really lacked guys like Fedorov, Zhamnov, Danny Markov, Malakhov, Khabibulin and maybe even Nikolishin, and Valeri Bure - they would really help to play more as a team and to be more solid overall. And imho Ovechkin wouldn't hurt yesterday either.

Apparently you didn't see the game :shakehead

High flyin' Habs*

ehc73 said:
Yeah, it was pretty quiet. Montreal crowd was much more boistrous. Heck, even the questionable calls were barely booed. There were a few Go Canada Go chants, but the energy wasn't there.
Hopefully it's just this game, because that's where Canada is gonna play the rest of its games this tournament.

Yeah the Toronto crowd better be more into it :banghead: .

High flyin' Habs*

Oilerboy40 said:
No need for that, and i am not blaming all Toronto Fans, but innocent children have died, no need for that garbage, gotta show some respect
What I dont understand is if they were yelling on purpose just to show disrespect or were they just some drunk morons that didn't even know what the moment of silence was all about?

High flyin' Habs*

leafs4thecup said:
Guys, did the crowd really seem that bad on TV? My theory is that the Air Canada centre building is not kind to crowd noise. I was there, and it seemed fine for noise, almost as good as Montreal. Maybe most of the crowd noise comes from the upper bowl, and since the mics are down low that was the reason.

Thoughts?
Excuses excuses.....

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Dunno if it's been posted yet, but here's what Bob McKenzie had to say on the crowd noise:

Bob McKenzie said:
There was a huge difference in the Toronto crowd compared to Montreal. I say this as a hockey fan born and raised in Toronto - there was no comparison in the atmosphere. Montreal was much more raucous. It was not even close in Toronto.

The players noticed it, too. Everybody noticed it.

I was surprised the difference was so great. Now, there is no question that fans at the Air Canada Centre love their Maple Leafs, but Toronto has not been home to much international hockey in the past, so maybe they just had trouble cheering for the red Maple Leaf instead of the blue one. It's really unfortunate, because Canada will play the balance of its schedule in Toronto, and they seem to get a better reception in Montreal.

Link to article

Feb 24, 2004
I saw Bob McKenzie say that on TSN, and all I have to say is that he is a complete moron. Him, Pierre McGuire, and Gord Miller, have always had something against the Leafs, and Toronto. Like many of us have said, the crowd seemed fine, but I guess Bob McKenzie knows something I don't. Just because we don't sing ole every minute

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
I noticed a difference. The ACC crowd wasn't life the Montreal crowd...the Montreal crowd is NOISY all the time whereas the Toronto one's arent as noisy. I HATE IT cause I heard tickets were $210 and I can't freakin afford $210 for a ticket, I should be saving $210 for university UGH! Oh well, people who are going to any ACC games PLEASE MAKE LOTS OF NOISE!!

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The Albino said:
Dunno if it's been posted yet, but here's what Bob McKenzie had to say on the crowd noise:

Link to article

While I was disappointed a tad in the crowd last night myself, must disagree with Bob when it comes to the difference in noise between the ACC for a leaf game and a team Canada game at the ACC... There wasn't a whole lot of difference, the crowd at the ACC generally isn't known for being overly loud, leafs or not... The go leafs go chants were louder on the Conan fricken O'brian show then they are for your typical leaf game at the ACC...

but I'll be there on Wednesday from the last row of the house doing my part to crank it up a notch :yo:

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
Canadian_man said:
I have to work for the quarter final game, same with the championship game. But I have a plan, I start having the "sniffles" on my next shift, a "cough" by the shift after that so it looks like my cold is worsening, and so if Canada makes the championship game, I can call in sick and noone will be the wiser. :D

The final game will be on CBC radio, if that helps you any? :dunno:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
leafs4thecup said:
I saw Bob McKenzie say that on TSN, and all I have to say is that he is a complete moron. Him, Pierre McGuire, and Gord Miller, have always had something against the Leafs, and Toronto. Like many of us have said, the crowd seemed fine, but I guess Bob McKenzie knows something I don't. Just because we don't sing ole every minute
No it doesn't seem fine at all. Montreal was so much noisier than last night in Toronto. If only your biased ears could hear it. Actually, there was nothing to hear at the ACC but the action on the ice and a few flies in the air.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
smoothskater said:
What I dont understand is if they were yelling on purpose just to show disrespect or were they just some drunk morons that didn't even know what the moment of silence was all about?
I think those morons had no *bleeping* idea what the moment of silence was for. I can't imagine anyone with a minimum of decency would make stupid noises during a moment of respect for such a horrible tragedy. Morons are usually stupid and are unlikely to care about world news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->