Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Argentina

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't hold it against those players.
Pele could do everything. BUT he never tried to play against the best.
Maradona had several unreal patches, but was often very average and a cokehead.
Platini was unreal for 3-4 years, but that peak is too short.
Cruyff was amazing in multiple aspects, but even with a golden generation he couldn't win a WC.
And so on and so on.
You do know that Santos frequently played against the top European club sides?

Last edited:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Lets be honest, on paper this Argentina team is a far cry from the teams they had in the past. Messi has really been on a mission this World Cup, and has been superb.

France despite their injuries are better in most areas of the pitch, that will be a huge ask for Argentina.

Either way, as a Portugal/Ronaldo fan it's quite evident Messi was the best this generation. Ronaldo in his prime might have pushed him for a decade, been better a few years here and there, but overall Messi was the best in this era, and Ronaldo right behind him. Everyone else is in a different solar system.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Ronaldo returned to the very physical EPL and it didn’t work out too well for him.
I already said my piece, but some perspective is needed my friend. He's almost 3 years older, and still scored over 20 years last year for Man United. This year has been a catastrophe, but well missing pre-season as a almost 38 year old does that in addition to natural decline and having a child killed during birth.

Reactions: luiginb and Jussi

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Lets be honest, on paper this Argentina team is a far cry from the teams they had in the past. Messi has really been on a mission this World Cup, and has been superb.
On paper, this Argentina is better than the 2014 team he took to the finals, IMO.

Comparing rosters:

GK: Martinez >>>>> Romero - ADVANTAGE 2022
FB: Zabaleta > Molina, Rojo = Tagliafico - ADVANTAGE 2014
CB: Romero + Otamendi >>> Demichelis + Garay - ADVANTAGE 2022
CM: Mascherano >= Fernandez, Paredes > Biglia - EDGE 2022
W: Perez < RDP, Lavezzi >= Mac Allister - EDGE 2022 (worth noting that ADM was injured in the QF and would've started over Perez, which would turn the edge towards 2014)
FW: 2014 Messi >= 2022 Messi, Alvarez > NT Higuain - EDGE 2022

Difference in coaching is also miles wide in 2022's favour

Messi dragged that 2014 team kicking and screaming, he hasn't had too as much in this tournament

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Disgusting result, but the better team won and can't hide that fact.

Anyone starting Lovren as a prime CB is a nation asking for trouble, Gvaridol had to cover twice as much ground to cover Messi and make up for his constant mistakes.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
  • Haha
Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I mean there was at least a debate that could be had 5-10 years back, but Messi has clearly maintained his level in a way Ronaldo hasn't.

I always felt it was an attempt to create a rivalry.
I already said my piece, but some perspective is needed my friend. He's almost 3 years older, and still scored over 20 years last year for Man United. This year has been a catastrophe, but well missing pre-season as a almost 38 year old does that in addition to natural decline and having a child killed during birth.

Just thought it was an odd choice in destination for him at that point in his career.

Serie A is a much better fit.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think this situation kinda reminds me of Washington cup run in 2018 when teams losing to them were somewhat accepting it hoping that Ovie finally gets his cup, even the Pens.

I think if France makes it to the final and loses, they won’t be extremely disappointed and actually happy for Messi

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I know but before someone comes in and says "told you he met some strong opposition", I prefer to make it clear :D
As an aside, from my research, Eusebio and Pele never directly played against one another while Eusebio was in Toronto and Pele in New York. Eusebio was benched due to a disagreement with the manager for the game in NY, while Pele was injured for the return fixture in Toronto.

They might've played one another the years before/after, when Eusebio was in Boston/Las Vegas, but they missed one another in '76!

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
On paper, this Argentina is better than the 2014 team he took to the finals, IMO.

Comparing rosters:

W: Perez < RDP, Lavezzi >= Mac Allister - EDGE 2022 (worth noting that ADM was injured in the QF and would've started over Perez, which would turn the edge towards 2014)

Messi dragged that 2014 team kicking and screaming, he hasn't had too as much in this tournament
I think it's about equal to the 2014 team, Mascherano would be a HUGE upgrade in this iterations midfield and completely wins it for 2014 imho.

The 2018/2010 teams were far better, but had poor cohesion/coaching.

Just shows how well Messi is playing right now, and how good a job Scaloni is doing.

Reactions: luiginb

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Messi has been the best player in the world since august. Unplayable.

I got laughed for saying he's the best like last week lol. Love this site

That's also two completely different squads that got to the final with Messi.
Insane
Since August 2004.
since 1986 lol
Well people buried him as done last season.
Yeah, that was hilarious all you can do is laugh tbh.
Congrats to Argentina and good luck in the Final on Sunday.

I didn’t think the pk should have been given but that’s how she goes sometimes.

Proud of our guys regardless. Hopefully they can grab 3rd on Saturday. The last two WC’s have been a great run. Lots of joy and memories.

Let’s see if Messi will get to hoist the trophy. Should be a great game should they face the French.
Honestly nothing but respect fro Croatia and Modric. He's just so classy.
@Evilo

France vs Argentina who wins ?

IF France goes through (big if as of now), I see France winning. They're very very complete.

He never played in Europe.
I obviously had Argentina winning it all but the only team I feared was France. I thought we matched up well against every other team France is the deepest and toughest challenge but it will be a close game. 50/50.

I would honestly try CUti as RB to get at Mpabbe.
Incredible. 1 more game!
Its been a wild ride..
You do know that Santos frequently played against the top European club sides?

You lost?

France despite their injuries are better in most areas of the pitch, that will be a huge ask for Argentina.

Either way, as a Portugal/Ronaldo fan it's quite evident Messi was the best this generation. Ronaldo in his prime might have pushed him for a decade, been better a few years here and there, but overall Messi was the best in this era, and Ronaldo right behind him. Everyone else is in a different solar system.
no I still dont understand how this team is being underrated... they're very good and have the best squad in a bout a decade. Clearly better than 2018,2010 or 2014.

Comparing rosters:

2014 was largely down to coach as much as messi tbh. Rojo is and always was trash. Acuna/Tags are miles better.

I think it's about equal to the 2014 team, Mascherano would be a HUGE upgrade in this iterations midfield and completely wins it for 2014 imho.

Just shows how well Messi is playing right now, and how good a job Scaloni is doing.

How in the world is 2018 better? Look at that midfield and defence. Its literally like comparing 2009 barca to 2022 barca. 2018 is a travesty a bunch of old over the hill crap players. Not a single one but Messi breaks in the squad. Even Otamendi is better now than he was in 2018.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

The 2010 and 2018 teams were not better.

Ariel Garce called over Zanetti. No Cambiasso, Samuel, not used. 2018 the likes of Meza, Pavon, Biglia, Fazio.

Sabella was unlucky in 2014. He got the best out of Messi too. Unfortunately and that includes 3 golden missed chances in the final of the fantastic four. Kun was injured, di Maria was injured early on in the QF v Belgium and Higuain was not really fantastic. Messi also admitted his fitness was not the greatest either.

RIP Sabella you did a great job. Hope you're enjoying the ride.

Also to Modric. Great player. And no histronics from him at the end. Class act.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Disgusting result, but the better team won and can't hide that fact.

Anyone starting Lovren as a prime CB is a nation asking for trouble, Gvaridol had to cover twice as much ground to cover Messi and make up for his constant mistakes.
Gvardiol was trash today too

Reactions: luiginb

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I don't hold it against those players.
Pele could do everything. BUT he never tried to play against the best.
Maradona had several unreal patches, but was often very average and a cokehead.
Platini was unreal for 3-4 years, but that peak is too short.
Cruyff was amazing in multiple aspects, but even with a golden generation he couldn't win a WC.
And so on and so on.

He was rarely average. And if he had not fallen into the wrong crowd who knows what he might have achieved. He had no team around him like modern players do.

Many truly great players have suffered as a result. Garrincha, Corbatta, Best to name three.

I don't buy this argument that players of the past could not hack it today either. Or vice versa. That level of innate skill and spatial awareness remains and sets them apart. All the likes of Varela, Puskas, Loustau, Djalma Santos etc etc would stand out today if they had modern physical training and nutrition.

I can't believe some people are saying that shouldn't have been a penalty. It was so blatant
Gary Neville said it isn't one. And he's usually right on most things.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad