Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Argentina

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Kovacic scores his annual goal with an insane belter, goal of the tournament.

Alvarez equalizes after Messi does 98% of the dirty work.

Ivan Perisic scores a diving backpost header in the 89th minute.

Argentina has a shout for a penalty dismissed in the 90+8th.

Croatia goes to their second straight final.

• Haha
Reactions: King 88

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Mom was Croatian, so you don't have to ask my rooting interest even before Argentina acted like children in and after the quarters

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I’m a really more confident about this match than the Brazil one, however don’t know the updated news but there was an issue with Gvardiol in training, hopefully nothing serious

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Croatia's bread and butter is its midfield obviously. The game will come down to that if Argentina allows them to do their thing and whiz the ball around freely, they'll win. However, if RDP gets healthy enough for 90 minutes and can run like the maniac he is, he would be able to disrupt their rhythm and pressure Modric and Kovacic. If he needs replacing it should be Palacios and not Paredes for the love of god.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Croatia's bread and butter is its midfield obviously. The game will come down to that if Argentina allows them to do their thing and whiz the ball around freely, they'll win. However, if RDP gets healthy enough for 90 minutes and can run like the maniac he is, he would be able to disrupt their rhythm and pressure Modric and Kovacic. If he needs replacing it should be Palacios and not Paredes for the love of god.
one does not simply "pressure" Mateo Kovacic. Mateo Kovacic is unpressurable. Pressure Mateo Kovacic at your own peril, you will get rinsed with some silky dribbling

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Looks like Argentina has a few players out with cards in Acuna, who I thought had a good showing versus the Dutch, and Montiel who’s a decent option at the back so their depth may be tested here.

Gvardiol missed the first training session apparently so he could rest up. Hopefully that’s all it is.

I just hope this one doesn’t go to pks. Between 2018 and this year, I think I have shaved a few years off my life. :laugh:

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I’m a really more confident about this match than the Brazil one, however don’t know the updated news but there was an issue with Gvardiol in training, hopefully nothing serious
Just a maintenance day so he rests up from two 120-minute games.

The thing is how do you press? Unless you recover the ball within the first 10 seconds of possession they have control, it also helps they have 4 guys in the backline who actually know how to play with the ball in their feet and can make quick decisions, with Joško being world-class at bringing the ball out of the backline. If you re-watch the game against Brazil they were running like crazy as well, but you can't outrun the ball. A lot of their running in fact made it easier for us to carry the ball up to 40 meters away from the goal. Unless you press systematically and cut off the passing lines of the first receiver you are just allowing for an easy breakout. And even then Mateo, Luka and Joško are world-class at going past one tackler. It's a damn shame we have the best D we ever had, and the best midfield, only to be stuck with middling strikers after years of Šuker, Bokšić, Pršo, Mandžo etc.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The thing is how do you press? Unless you recover the ball within the first 10 seconds of possession they have control, it also helps they have 4 guys in the backline who actually know how to play with the ball in their feet and can make quick decisions, with Joško being world-class at bringing the ball out of the backline. If you re-watch the game against Brazil they were running like crazy as well, but you can't outrun the ball. A lot of their running in fact made it easier for us to carry the ball up to 40 meters away from the goal. Unless you press systematically and cut off the passing lines of the first receiver you are just allowing for an easy breakout. And even then Mateo, Luka and Joško are world-class at going past one tackler. It's a damn shame we have the best D we ever had, and the best midfield, only to be stuck with middling strikers after years of Šuker, Bokšić, Pršo, Mandžo etc.
To be fair, I've been very impressed from Kramaric in this tournament - I've always rated him at club level but never been wowed by him for the NT, and he's been very good I've thought.

Reactions: cgf

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
To be fair, I've been very impressed from Kramaric in this tournament - I've always rated him at club level but never been wowed by him for the NT, and he's been very good I've thought.
He just always leaves you wanting more. I didn't mention Perišić, but without him, we would've truly been up the creek without a paddle. That guy is insane.

Reactions: luiginb

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Just a maintenance day so he rests up from two 120-minute games.

It wont be easy and Im expecting a close game likely going the distance but there's really no option but to press. THis argentina team can press as a team, so it should be a good match.

one does not simply "pressure" Mateo Kovacic. Mateo Kovacic is unpressurable. Pressure Mateo Kovacic at your own peril, you will get rinsed with some silky dribbling
I trust RDP's abilities. You cant just sit back that would be suicidal.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
It will be interesting to see who starts for us. Argentina had a lot of problems to close out the Dutch game against their treetrunks and we like to cross the ball. Petković can be a problem for them as a target man to get us position high up the pitch, but his finishing with the head is suboptimal for a guy as dominant in the air as he is. Budimir might be an option as he is excellent at heading the ball, but I'd rather not start him as he is just not up to this level. I expect a lot of crosses toward Perišić.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It will be interesting to see who starts for us. Argentina had a lot of problems to close out the Dutch game against their treetrunks and we like to cross the ball. Petković can be a problem for them as a target man to get us position high up the pitch, but his finishing with the head is suboptimal for a guy as dominant in the air as he is. Budimir might be an option as he is excellent at heading the ball, but I'd rather not start him as he is just not up to this level. I expect a lot of crosses toward Perišić.
The trouble started when Cuti had to be subbed off being on a yellow and the ref handing out cards like candy. Really it was the subs of RDP/Cuti that allowed the dutch to get back into it.

Reactions: Gecklund

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
The trouble started when Cuti had to be subbed off being on a yellow and the ref handing out cards like candy. Really it was the subs of RDP/Cuti that allowed the dutch to get back into it.
True, but the height mismatch definitely helped the Dutch a lot as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pašalić and Perišić feature heavily in the box when the ball is on the opposing wing.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
True, but the height mismatch definitely helped the Dutch a lot as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pašalić and Perišić feature heavily in the box when the ball is on the opposing wing.
I expect thats the tactic they will go with. yes

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
This game will most likely come down to Messi. Croatia did a great job shutting Messi down in 2018. Can they do it again we will see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad