• Argentina

Votes: 26 100.0%
  • Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Probably, but that doesn't change the insane luck he has right now.

So that's the excuse for sucking the group stage too?
Jesus I said they have 2 days off and are gassed you said something wrong and I corrected you.

They had a 45 mins against saudi and vs Mexico. They also played withh unfit players in those games such as Lautaro, Paredes and cuti. 2 of which have been replaced. Cuti regained form after getting rest.

They haven’t been at their best but to call them bad and brush them off?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well you denied Argentina has sucked and Messi is saving their ass. Not really something that's not obvious really.
Messi can take them anywhere, but without him, this team doesn't even survive the group stage even though they had the best roster.
Simply put, they're HIGHLY underachieving, but the greatness of Messi is putting them through.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well you denied Argentina has sucked and Messi is saving their ass. Not really something that's not obvious really.
Messi can take them anywhere, but without him, this team doesn't even survive the group stage even though they had the best roster.
Simply put, they're HIGHLY underachieving, but the greatness of Messi is putting them through.
Wrong again. Many players have showed up and put in their effort. Including Alvarez, Alexis, Enzo, otamendi, Emi, lisandro and cuti.

Without Alexis goal they would be playing france. Without Emi stop the game is still going on. Etc etc

Reactions: Jussi and BMann

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But without Messi, you're not even talking about OT here.
Argentina is underachieving big time. Again, they have twice the roster without Messi than any team in their group. Yet without Messi, they're eliminated in the second game.
That raises some serious question marks about the coaching.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
But without Messi, you're not even talking about OT here.
Argentina is underachieving big time. Again, they have twice the roster without Messi than any team in their group. Yet without Messi, they're eliminated in the second game.
That raises some serious question marks about the coaching.
You don’t know that because Messi is there lol. Like I said they haven’t been at their best. These games won’t be easy anyone who thinks so is in for a rude awakening but they haven’t “sucked”

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Come on man, you're telling me Argentina survives that second game without his wonder goal?
Yes, going out after two games against Saudi Arabia and Mexico with a huge roster is sucking.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Come on man, you're telling me Argentina survives that second game without his wonder goal?
Yes, going out after two games against Saudi Arabia and Mexico with a huge roster is sucking.
Look at the context. Of those games.

Speculative as we don’t know if a goal is scored without him. Since Argentina has him. 0-0 draw doesn’t eliminate Argentina either.

They lost one game just like most teams in the groups.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Argentina has been a great team for the last year plus now but they are far from the most talented team once you get past Messi. Lautaro is hit and miss, De Paul is a workhorse but he's not a great passer, and the entire back line doesn't have any top players. I think Alvarez, Fernandez, and De Paul have been good this tournament but there's nobody that's going to send that killer ball to Messi so Leo ends up dropping deep a lot. The Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, France, and probably Portugal play better attacking football

I think the game vs the Dutch will be a good one. It will certainly be both teams' toughest test thus far. I wouldn't put on Lautaro after that big miss he had, give Dybala a shot ahead of Leo.

Reactions: gary69

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

Argentina doesn't have the best roster.

Brazil has Neymar, Vinicius Jr, Richarlison, Casemiro, Rodrygo, Jesus, Antony, Fabinho, Marquinhos, and Silva.
Portugal has Ronaldo, Fernandes, Silva, Felix, Cancelo, Neves, and Mendes.
England have Rashford, Kane, Sterling, Foden, Mount, Grealish, and Walker.
Spain have Morata, Asensio, Torres, Pedri, Gavi, Busquets, Olmo, Soler, Koke, Alba, Rodri, and Laporte.
The Dutch have De Jong, Depay, Van Dijk, De Ligt, and Gakpo.
The French have Mbappe, Dembele, Griezmann, Giroud, Tchoumeni, Rabiot, Varane, Kounde, Coman, and Konate.

Argentina are a good team that work really hard, get solid goaltending from Martinez, and rely on Messi to do most of the work in attack.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Feels weird to say this, but that result was more about that Australian keeper howler gifting the Argies a goal, than Messi's classy finish. The media is going to talk up Messi performance as they key to victory. He played alright but the game result was due to the goalkeeping error.

If it wasn't for that howler, i think this game goes to extra time and a potential penalty shootout.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Brazil has Neymar, Vinicius Jr, Richarlison, Casemiro, Rodrygo, Jesus, Antony, Fabinho, Marquinhos, and Silva.
Spain have Morata, Asensio, Torres, Pedri, Gavi, Busquets, Olmo, Soler, Koke, Alba, Rodri, and Laporte.
The French have Mbappe, Dembele, Griezmann, Giroud, Tchoumeni, Rabiot, Varane, Kounde, Coman, and Konate.

Argentina are a good team that work really hard, get solid goaltending from Martinez, and rely on Messi to do most of the work in attack.
I was talking about best roster of its group.

Feels weird to say this, but that result was more about that Australian keeper howler gifting the Argies a goal, than Messi's classy finish. The media is going to talk up Messi performance as they key to victory. He played alright but the game result was due to the goalkeeping error.

If it wasn't for that howler, i think this game goes to extra time and a potential penalty shootout.
Messi also set up Lautaro for a gimme goal.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina has been a great team for the last year plus now but they are far from the most talented team once you get past Messi. Lautaro is hit and miss, De Paul is a workhorse but he's not a great passer, and the entire back line doesn't have any top players. I think Alvarez, Fernandez, and De Paul have been good this tournament but there's nobody that's going to send that killer ball to Messi so Leo ends up dropping deep a lot. The Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, France, and probably Portugal play better attacking football

I think the game vs the Dutch will be a good one. It will certainly be both teams' toughest test thus far. I wouldn't put on Lautaro after that big miss he had, give Dybala a shot ahead of Leo.

Yes, they have some very talented players. Messi doesn't have the legs to make those runs that ask for the ball in fact when they do launch it he struggles to make the most as the defenders close him down. He's 34 and simply doesn't have the explosiveness he once had. RDP set up ADM for the kill shot to clinch the Copa. Enzo is an elite passer, as is PAredes, Lisandro and Alexis isn't bad. Lo celso was great at it too.

Also I cant believe this has to be repeated but they have top players on defence.... if you dont think so you aren't paying attention.

Netherlands dont have a single player up front that would crack Argentina's attack. Their talent resides in the midfield and defence. Portugal under their coach are anti football but they have a better squad. The rest is true.

Dybala cant that guy. Alvarez will start and he's earned it.

Messi certainly does a lot of the work but again there are others who can and have shown up.

And if not for that own goal Australia doesn't get a sniff of a chance. Messi was by far the best player today.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
And if not for that own goal Australia doesn't get a sniff of a chance. Messi was by far the best player today.
Australia created two great chances in the 2nd half. Behich had a great run in the box that was blocked by a diving Argie defender. If he goes down after the first Argie defender left his leg out, it possibility a penalty as there was some contact.

And the chance just before the final whistle when Emi Martinez spread himself big and stopped a shot on goal.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Australia created two great chances in the 2nd half. Behich had a great run in the box that was blocked by a diving Argie defender. If he goes down after the first Argie defender left his leg out, it possibility a penalty as there was some contact.

And the chance just before the final whistle when Emi Martinez spread himself big and stopped a shot on goal.
Both of which came after the own goal... and there's never penalty there.

Reactions: BMann

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

Argie is incredibly offensive. Please use the term Argentinian or Argentine.

Without the fluke deflection they had precious little. As it was if Lautaro was on form he could have had a brace and played in Montiel too.

The team played in a low gear in the first half before upping it to a degree. Sure they'll need to up it again. They know it. But that's what they did at the Copa game by game. They are obdurate and resilient.

Lautaro picking the Higuain mantle, I see.

I wonder if Scaloni could figure out if they have a more technical guy in the squad who could score from a tight, low percentage chances. I guess that is too much to expect from him.
Dybala would have revelled in those chances. Still cannot fathom playing Gomez again. You cannot press at all with him. Get Angel Correa on with Alvarez for that. It would be nice to see Enzo further forward. Perhaps play Licha at DM as another playmaking axis.

Or stick with a back three and 2 WBs. Suits this side.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Argentina should beat the Aussies, but Argentina looks so effin' bad and will be eliminated in the final eight when they play a team that isn't made up of a bunch of MLS and Championshipers.

Considering how bad Argentina has looked in this WC, I am very afraid for Polska tomorrow considering they got beaten by this rubbish country.
Mind your language. This is the country that created total football and has produced some of the greatest players the sport has seen. And that's from the twenties onwards.

You usually talk a lot of nonsense and you haven't changed in that regard.

That’s what happens when you can only play in the same position as the best player in the world.
Happened to Ricardo Bochini as well who is barely known outside of Argentina but was a great ten. A really great ten.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Some hyperbole here.

Aside from the first game, Argentina has looked pretty much as expected, ie not great, but they’re getting the job done. This is how they’ve looked since 3 years now. On paper the team isn’t great. They will struggle against teams that play with defensive structure which is what we pretty much saw in the first half. I liked their 2nd half, although I thought they were a bit reckless defensively.

Messi is ON in this world cup, shaping up to be perhaps his best WC. I expect them to beat Netherlands on penalties and then beat Brazil 1-0 in a blood bath.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Yes, they have some very talented players. Messi doesn't have the legs to make those runs that ask for the ball in fact when they do launch it he struggles to make the most as the defenders close him down. He's 34 and simply doesn't have the explosiveness he once had. RDP set up ADM for the kill shot to clinch the Copa. Enzo is an elite passer, as is PAredes, Lisandro and Alexis isn't bad. Lo celso was great at it too.

Also I cant believe this has to be repeated but they have top players on defence.... if you dont think so you aren't paying attention.

Netherlands dont have a single player up front that would crack Argentina's attack. Their talent resides in the midfield and defence. Portugal under their coach are anti football but they have a better squad. The rest is true.

Dybala cant that guy. Alvarez will start and he's earned it.

Messi certainly does a lot of the work but again there are others who can and have shown up.

I agree Alvarez should start, I meant Dybala to come on as a sub instead of Lautaro.

Also I'd say Depay would make Argentina's attack. Depay-Alvarez/Martinez-Messi or Depay-Alvarez/Martinez-Di Maria with Messi behind them.

And don't get me wrong, I think this Argentina team is quite good - certainly one of the best at this tournament on paper. But they aren't the best, even if their form the last year has been excellent, and that's all I was saying. They definitely don't have a team that's as well-known as France, Brazil, England, or the Dutch in terms of guys that have had big transfers to big teams.

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad