Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Casey Mittelstadt for Bowen Byram

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Huh? Aside from maybe Toews, who has taken a discount? Avs players get PAID. They just do a phenomenal job of identifying players who are going to break out soon and get them locked up long term (which is probably at least partially why they’re more likely to give in on AAV, since they know the player will likely outperform the contract).
mackinnon is the only other guy to take a discount

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
the cap is finally going up a lot in the coming years and I'm sure he and his agent are well aware. If he signs for that it would be very generous.

the comparisons dont really work at all.
I think Strome is not a bad comparable, two high picks that took a while to find their footing in their mid 20s as a 60ish point solid 2C.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Huh? Aside from maybe Toews, who has taken a discount? Avs players get PAID. They just do a phenomenal job of identifying players who are going to break out soon and get them locked up long term (which is probably at least partially why they’re more likely to give in on AAV, since they know the player will likely outperform the contract).
Rantanen signed for a full 1.5M less than Marner during the same offseason where they were two of the more comparable players in the entire league.

Makar deal was also very good, he originally asked for 11M over 5 years which would have been his market value at the time but Sakic convinced him to take a discount to remain competitive, he only signed for 1M more than Chabot for example and that was after Maker only lost the Norris that season due to injury.

Landeskog also took less than market when he signed (I believe the report was 9M offered to him but he took 7M with Avs), his contract was similar to Stamkos in Tampa where it went right to the wire to free agency before he accepted he needed to take less.

Avs core guys I would say on average shave off about 1-2M on what they could realistically get on the market. Even Mackinnon could have gotten more if he wanted to without a doubt

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Did he even though? His first big contract he was coming off seasons of 38 and 52 points. 6.3 million at that time was paying based on potential, not performance. And his second big contract made him the highest paid player in the league
yea both were discounts. more so the second one.

This myth needs to go away. It was one by the end, but he didn't sign at a discount.
end? it just started

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Rantanen and makar both could have gotten more if they were on other teams.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Casey finally arriving after Cozens cashed out on his extension was just poor timing, sucks quite frankly. But we'll see what happens with Byram.

You could also argue the guy who has outproduced Dylan Cozens since 2023 All-Star game deserves the same contract as him or more.

You definitely could argue that, but I would argue that the two aren’t good comparables. Cozens signed after coming off of a year where he hit 30 goals and 60+ points, both of which Mittlestadt has yet to hit. Cozens contract was also speculative in nature based on a really strong start to his career. The GM decided to try and get ahead of a budding star in the hopes that a few years down the road the contract would be favorable. In my opinion the two are not in similae positions from a contract perspective.

Thompson also signed a similar contract to Cozens that summer, I would argue he’s substantially better than Mitts. If that’s what Tage got there’s no way Mitts is worth that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Landy took a huge one. Makar makes less than Seth Jones and your crappy player Nurse. Lex makes $4.75mm. He’s elite. Nuke makes $6mm and he’s amazing.

Most of them take discounts. Rants is paid $2mm less than Marner.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You definitely could argue that, but I would argue that the two aren’t good comparables. Cozens signed after coming off of a year where he hit 30 goals and 60+ points, both of which Mittlestadt has yet to hit. Cozens contract was also speculative in nature based on a really strong start to his career. The GM decided to try and get ahead of a budding star in the hopes that a few years down the road the contract would be favorable. In my opinion the two are not in similae positions from a contract perspective.

Thompson also signed a similar contract to Cozens that summer, I would argue he’s substantially better than Mitts. If that’s what Tage got there’s no way Mitts is worth that.

Thompson is a better goal scorer than Casey ... but that's about it.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021

This.

Comps with Cozens' contract are ridiculous. 6,3 200pounds and 70 pts at 22 yrs old. Signed right after that year.

I think he gets less than 6. Max 6M

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Sooo you’re telling me if Mitts signed 6x6 you’d trade Thompson for him straight up?
Yeah, I would take Mittelstadt over Thompson. He's a better player over 200'. Imagine having both and not having to choose though. I wouldn't expect Avs fans to break their brains trying to imagine their front office is incompetent though. I have only vague memories of my team being run with a sensical purpose.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is really going to end up one of the biggest LOLCOW trades ever that people talk about for years to come. To recap:

-Kevyn From Accounting trades a legit top 6 center we spent years developing just as he was bearing fruit.

-He traded him for a player who was redundant to what we already had, whose career had fallen completely off a cliff and then proceeded to be (along with Joker) just about the worst player on the team and statistically one of the worst at his entire position post deadline. Any time he was in his own end you knew something bad was going to happen.

-Mitts is playing as well as anyone with a brain could've figured he would and will likely win the cup.

-Now the Sabres have a gigantic hole at center they have no goddamned idea how they will fill given that almost any player worth acquiring has a NTC and would sooner waive it to be traded to a team in the KHL than traded to us.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
He played very well right now.
He fit very well with Lehkonen.
Colorado got some cap problem
Considering Goalies are signed for next year
It Left 2 Defensive spot
If they give this to Berhens & Malinski

If landeskog return
They have around 9M in cap space to signed 3 of theses players
Mittlestadt - Drouin - Duhaime - Trenin - Cogliano - Kirviranta - Parise
To me you can afford 6M to Casey - 2 to Joe and balance to Trenin but it probably want more.
But if Ritchie is NHL ready lines could be like this

Drouin Mackinnon Rantanen
Lehkonen Mittlestadt Nichushkin
Landeskog Ritchie Kovalenko
Wood Colton O'connor

More Balance offence left time to Big guns to play a little bit less and be ready and healthy for playoff
landy very likely isnt coming back

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Rantanen signed for a full 1.5M less than Marner during the same offseason where they were two of the more comparable players in the entire league.

Makar deal was also very good, he originally asked for 11M over 5 years which would have been his market value at the time but Sakic convinced him to take a discount to remain competitive, he only signed for 1M more than Chabot for example and that was after Maker only lost the Norris that season due to injury.

Landeskog also took less than market when he signed (I believe the report was 9M offered to him but he took 7M with Avs), his contract was similar to Stamkos in Tampa where it went right to the wire to free agency before he accepted he needed to take less.

Avs core guys I would say on average shave off about 1-2M on what they could realistically get on the market. Even Mackinnon could have gotten more if he wanted to without a doubt
You should rather list the players who didn’t take a discount…

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Count on the Sabres to cut loose one of their best players right when they're ready to hit their prime. Perpetual incompetence.
It's as If we traded him for someone who has already proven himself and already had pretty good playoff run in a Stanley cup run but sure let's pretend we just gave him away....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad