• Argentina

Votes: 26 100.0%
  • Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Argentina aren’t great, but they’ve showed they can get the job done when need be. I think the biggest problem is that while there’s some quality in the team, after Messi they largely lack creativity and Scaloni‘s selections can be suspect at times. Not sure what Gomez was doing starting, but at least he started Alvarez. I think Alvarez buries Lautaro Martinez’s big chance too. I’d be interested in seeing Dybala get some minutes ahead of Lautaro Martinez at this point, but I’d still keep the latter in my plans. Back to Alvarez though, De Paul was involved, but Alavarez had been pressing well in the preceding minutes and that goal wasn’t just down to a GK blunder as somebody said here. The good news is that Argentina can beat The Netherlands, but it won’t be a cakewalk.

Reactions: BMann

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't know how anyone who has watched Argentina play can say they've been worth a shit without Messi. He's carrying them completely. By far the MVP of this WC thus far. And good for him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I agree Alvarez should start, I meant Dybala to come on as a sub instead of Lautaro.

Also I'd say Depay would make Argentina's attack. Depay-Alvarez/Martinez-Messi or Depay-Alvarez/Martinez-Di Maria with Messi behind them.

And don't get me wrong, I think this Argentina team is quite good - certainly one of the best at this tournament on paper. But they aren't the best, even if their form the last year has been excellent, and that's all I was saying. They definitely don't have a team that's as well-known as France, Brazil, England, or the Dutch in terms of guys that have had big transfers to big teams.

Dybala won't be played as a 9... this simply not going to happen. Anyone asking for it isn't paying attention. At all. Ship has sailed and the NT has moved on without him for better.

Depay isn't never cracking that attacking line. LOL he's absolutely rubbish. Signed a barca fan. Only players that would crack the line up from the Dutch are VVD/Timber and Frenkie. The rest wouldnt. Doesn't mean Argentina are gonna beat them though. On paper they clearly have more talent and are deeper. Hilarious this is even a question. To put this Dutch side with the likes of France, England or Brasil(haven't beat Argentina recently) is crazy. Big transfers means nothing. Enzo was sold for 20 mill recently if he's european that would be 70. He's better than anyone of the midfielders from the Dutch.

Argentina aren’t great, but they’ve showed they can get the job done when need be. I think the biggest problem is that while there’s some quality in the team, after Messi they largely lack creativity and Scaloni‘s selections can be suspect at times. Not sure what Gomez was doing starting, but at least he started Alvarez. I think Alvarez buries Lautaro Martinez’s big chance too. I’d be interested in seeing Dybala get some minutes ahead of Lautaro Martinez at this point, but I’d still keep the latter in my plans. Back to Alvarez though, De Paul was involved, but Alavarez had been pressing well in the preceding minutes and that goal wasn’t just down to a GK blunder as somebody said here. The good news is that Argentina can beat The Netherlands, but it won’t be a cakewalk.

They have creativity and lost a big part of their team in Lo Celso. Scaloni had to scramble to find adequate replacements for such big figures of his set up. It took a game and a half but its fine.

I don't know how anyone who has watched Argentina play can say they've been worth a shit without Messi. He's carrying them completely. By far the MVP of this WC thus far. And good for him.
Because we aren't judging a team based off 2 games .... that would be incredibly naive.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Mind your language. This is the country that created total football and has produced some of the greatest players the sport has seen. And that's from the twenties onwards.

You usually talk a lot of nonsense and you haven't changed in that regard.
I totally agree with you, they produced some crazy good legends like Maradona, Zanetti, di Stefano, Fillol, and Batistuta to name a select few. However, why would I care about great players in the 70s and 80s in the 2022 World Cup?

My comment wasn't about them being bad as a country, but that they're playing badly. Beating the Aussies 2-1 and giving them a golden chance in extra time is a pretty bad result if you'd ask me, especially with all the talent that their team has (even if it's flawed in certain positions).

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Did you watch the Copa or Finalissima. They played as a unit. Scaloni has made some odd changes with Gonsalez and Lo Celso unavailable. How Fernandez did not immediately take Lo Celso's role or Garnacho that of Gonsalez makes my mind spin.

They have been a little too reliant again on Messi something that disappeared during the Copa and Finalissima. Some of these players need to realize that again and they themselves are pretty decent players too.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I totally agree with you, they produced some crazy good legends like Maradona, Zanetti, di Stefano, Fillol, and Batistuta to name a select few. However, why would I care about great players in the 70s and 80s in the 2022 World Cup?

My comment wasn't about them being bad as a country, but that they're playing badly. Beating the Aussies 2-1 and giving them a golden chance in extra time is a pretty bad result if you'd ask me, especially with all the talent that their team has (even if it's flawed in certain positions).

They played like they did against Saudi Arabia initially. Whether it was because of the short break since the last match against Poland or they were instructed by Scaloni who veers to the conservative I don't know. But they held the ball pretty well.

Australia barely had a sniff. They had the fluke and then Lisandro came to the rescue and if Lautaro could shoot it would have been all over before Kuol's late chance.

Anyone who has watched Scaloneta sees signs of it in this team again. But some elements are missing at times. The press from the front. The movement off the ball. They do appear but usually when the team is two goals up and they feel less pressure.

Scaloni needs to get that intensity back and movement. And stick with a 3-5-2. I think it suits this side better. They can play a lot better and I have no doubt they'll raise their level again. I think they were a little guilty of taking Australia lightly. And this Australian team did beat Denmark, hold Tunisia and scored a pretty decent goal against France.

Argentina felt meh this game but that doesn't matter when you have the GOAT at your disposal; Mac Allister is just too good

Wait until you see Facundo. I've seen him sparingly used by Mascherano with the u20s. Has such a languid ease on the ball. Technically perfect already and great passing range and vision.

He's part of an exciting u20 generation the best for many years to come from Argentina.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

I'd play Licha in defensive midfield. He's done that well for Ajax. Adds a shield but unlike Guido he can create too from deep and in a 3-5-2 hit the WBs. Allows Enzo to push forward and de Paul has his roving destroyer/creator role. I would like to see Enzo further forward. Mac Allister has played well and can slot in with RDP and Enzo.

Reactions: les Habs

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Since when? Explain how it is a derogatory term.

Well Peter it's a term used here in England by the tabloid media. Papers like The Sun etc,etc. It originates back from 1966 when the South American sides were cheated out of the tournament.

The confrontations at the end of the matches led to these tabloids using the term Argie in a perjorative way. And it resurfaced after the Falklands conflict and has leaked into mainstream usage over here.

Most Argentines don't like it. A few don't mind. But as it's often used in a negative sense rather than an abbreviation it might be better to use Argentine or Argentinian.

The same way in Argentina unfortunately those who come back from the USA on holidays are sometimes called Yanquis.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Did you watch the Copa or Finalissima. They played as a unit. Scaloni has made some odd changes with Gonsalez and Lo Celso unavailable. How Fernandez did not immediately take Lo Celso's role or Garnacho that of Gonsalez makes my mind spin.

They have been a little too reliant again on Messi something that disappeared during the Copa and Finalissima. Some of these players need to realize that again and they themselves are pretty decent players too.
This might be all true.

It's also completely irrelevant because I'm talking about the 2022 WC.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

They've had moments of beautiful build-up play. The issue is they have breakdowns in midfield which leaves them open to being caught out of position. I bet they wish they had a youngster similar to Mascherano right now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They've had moments of beautiful build-up play. The issue is they have breakdowns in midfield which leaves them open to being caught out of position. I bet they wish they had a youngster similar to Mascherano right now.
Yes. Argentina is missing a guy willing to tear his butt hole for the team

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
@Duchene2MacKinnon Lisandro or Cuti to start next game?

I'd go Lisandro, I've preferred his play, I found Cuti has not been great. We also don't need the height that Cuti provides against the dutch.

My ideal lineup would be

Alvarez- Messi - ADM
Enzo - Paredes - RDP
Acuna - Otamendi - Lisandro - Molina
Emi

Paredes adds stability in the midfield.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
@Duchene2MacKinnon Lisandro or Cuti to start next game?

I'd go Lisandro, I've preferred his play, I found Cuti has not been great. We also don't need the height that Cuti provides against the dutch.

My ideal lineup would be

Alvarez- Messi - ADM
Enzo - Paredes - RDP
Acuna - Otamendi - Lisandro - Molina
Emi

Paredes adds stability in the midfield.
I don’t expect much changes. ADM seems go to go but he’ll either start or come off the bench. Hope they don’t push him. And go with Correa as the starter.

I thought cuti was immense last game. He should start again. Would bully Depay.

@bluesfan94 set the thread

Reactions: bluesfan94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad