St. Louis
1669842214134.png
vs.
1669842235198.png

Teams
: Argentina v. Australia
Time and Date (CST): Saturday, December 3, 1:00 PM
Venue: Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium
Storyline: In a fun matchup between alphabetically dominant teams, La Albiceleste face off against the Socceroos, with a matchup between the Netherlands or the United States the reward. Argentina entered the tournament as one of the favorites, in part due to their possessing the greatest soccer player of all time (arguably) Lionel Messi, who came into this game saying this would be his last World Cup, one of the only trophies that has eluded him. Argentina was dealt an unexpected road bump in their opening match, losing to Saudi Arabia, who entered the tournament as an afterthought. With the pressure on, Argentina grinded out a 2-0 win against Mexico before dominating Poland, again with a final score of 2-0. The pressure will be on for Argentina to show they can beat an AFC team and to continue its run toward a cup.

Australia, on the other hand, is playing with house money. Drawn into a tournament with two European teams perceived to be dominant, few gave Australia a chance to get through this group. In their first match, they scored an early goal against France, before conceding a handful and falling 4-1. Their second match featured a tough fight with Tunisia, with a first half goal proving the difference for the Aussies. They entered the final matchday against Denmark needing a win to guarantee qualification. A 60th minute goal put them ahead, a lead they would not concede and would end up needing, as Tunisia upset France.

These nations have squared up plenty of times in rugby but only 7 times in in soccer, with Argentina winning 5, including the last 4 in a row, most recently in 2007, Australia winning once, in their first meeting in 1988, and with one draw.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I expect a similar line up for Argentina. Maybe Lautaro in for Alvarez. ADM has a knock ( who didn't see that coming) really hope he rests at some point.

If they can match what they did today, Argentina should see this through.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I expect a similar line up for Argentina. Maybe Lautaro in for Alvarez. ADM has a knock ( who didn't see that coming) really hope he rests at some point.

If they can match what they did today, Argentina should see this through.
I think Argentina has to start Lautaro AND Alvarez. Can’t drop Alvarez after the game he just had

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think Argentina has to start Lautaro AND Alvarez. Can’t drop Alvarez after the game he just had
Then who would you drop? I would like to rest ADM. BUt not sure thats possible.

Alvarez-Lautaro-Messi
Alexis-RDP
Enzo

Could work

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Out of curiosity from a novice, and I know it's a matter of opinion, but I'd be curious as to what the biggest upset in the Round of 16 ever was.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No ADM confirmed. Will be replaced by Papu or Angel. Come on please Correa. Although it should probably be Lautaro.

The midifeld will be unchanged

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
A bit nervous with Alvarez starting against those big cbs of Australia. Martinez might be able to deal with their physicality better.

Expecting a tight 1-0 game night even see ET

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Argentina should be handle to manhandle this team the same way France was able to. The "always teetering on the brink of disaster" act is wearing thin, they're a football powerhouse, time to act like it.

Reactions: luiginb

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina should be handle to manhandle this team the same way France was able to. The "always teetering on the brink of disaster" act is wearing thin, they're a football powerhouse, time to act like it.
These knock out games are always low scoring because coaches just park the bus

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
After saudi game I take nothign for granted and expecting the worst tbh

Don’t see Argentina scoring 4 and I doubt that defensive line concedes 2 goals.
Australia won't have more than one half-chance in the entire game.
If you repeated this tournament 100x, they don't make the 2nd round 99/100 times. Anything but an easy Argentina would be the biggest miracle in WC history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad