Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Portugal

Votes: 23 63.9%

• Total voters

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Blind comparison? It's completely apt, if it was an upper midlevel European team parking the bus for a half with one or two counters everyone would be up in arms.

Morocco literally had more/better chances than Portugal in this game.

And also, Morocco was without two of their starting defenders and lost another one early in the second-half.

You're comparing Morocco playing it well vs Poland playing it very poorly in one match (Argentina). Some of us have seen Poland play for years.

Except Morocco had the better chances in both their knockout games. Nor was Morocco playing it as much in the group round.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's not that unusual for a team defending deep getting better chances on the counter vs an opponent that plays increasingly desperately.

Uh huh.

Trying to compare a team that shut out Croatia, Belgium, Portugal and Spain and conceding 9 shots on target the entire WC (!!!) to Poland is an embarassing comment whichever way you look at it. But keep digging

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Uh huh.

Trying to compare a team that shut out Croatia, Belgium, Portugal and Spain and conceding 9 shots on target the entire WC (!!!) to Poland is an embarassing comment whichever way you look at it. But keep digging
I don't know what argument you think I'm making here, but obviously Morocco has played a much better World Cup than Poland and nobody is claiming otherwise. The point I'm making is that Morocco is getting a pass on playing a style that is often criticized when played by European teams. But you can't have it both ways, either playing defensive football with a focus on keeping a clean sheet and hoping to score on the counter is legit or it isn't.

If anything Morocco is advancing in this tournament, and I respect that, because they're playing like a 2nd tier European side rather than most African teams in the competition through the years.

Reactions: Drivesaitl and Rob

Joey Banana

Mar 9, 2012
It's a bit ironic to decide who deserves underdog love based on how well they execute the classic underdog strategy.

Just admit it's fun to see nations outside Europe, Argentina & Brazil have sucess at the World Cup.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Congrats Morocco. Definitely the most surprising appearance in the semis since Turkey and South Korea in 2006.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Oh well now you're just having fun lol. Credit to France for cultivating and producing so many players of African heritage. But the "Arabic" phenomenon is the result of a far greater and more ancient diaspora
“Diaspora” is certainly one word to use…
I don't know what argument you think I'm making here, but obviously Morocco has played a much better World Cup than Poland and nobody is claiming otherwise. The point I'm making is that Morocco is getting a pass on playing a style that is often criticized when played by European teams. But you can't have it both ways, either playing defensive football with a focus on keeping a clean sheet and hoping to score on the counter is legit or it isn't.

If anything Morocco is advancing in this tournament, and I respect that, because they're playing like a 2nd tier European side rather than most African teams in the competition through the years.
I do think it’s funny how much ink was spilled on how some of these outsider teams play with courage compared to “structured” mid-level Euro sides, as if it wasn’t always going to go this way once they started playing real competition.

I have no position or care as to how they choose to compete, but it’s just hilarious that anyone thought that would carry over if they progressed.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Its not even that. The old parking the bus style has changed since analytics and plenty of history shows just owning possession and taking more shots isn't really worth what some thought it was. Now that xG is commonly seen and referenced you can see for all the defending and apparently better chances Portugal had its xG edge was only like 1.5-1.2, which is completely to be expected from a team being behind for a full half.

More than anything its a repudiation of teams that just complete a lot of passes or get many more corners than their opponent. To win in these high stakes matches you have to create something and not waste opportunities when you get them. Portugal doesn't have that kind of quality play creation yet, Joao Felix should be that guy in 4 years but Ronaldo won't be around to finish them so we'll see if Ramos or others can help this team reach an even higher level.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Wonder if Morocco will benefit from Cheddira being out, guy turns so many chances into whimpers. Only fitting he got sent off on a sloppy challenge lol

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wonder if Morocco will benefit from Cheddira being out, guy turns so many chances into whimpers. Only fitting he got sent off on a sloppy challenge lol
He was terrible. Only worse sub performance this tournament were Lukaku’s

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Pepe and Fernandes are embarrassing themselves with the nonsense about the ref.

Fernandes could have been off by half time if the ref had followed the letter of the law and he couldn't have had any complaints. 1st booking for diving, 2nd for dissent with his idiocy having a rant at the ref when he blew for half time.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Of course Ronaldo is storming down the tunnel laughing while the rest of his team is out on the field crying still. What a f***ing piece of shit.

This was way too harsh a criticism tbh. He was crying and well I totally get it. He's never going to win the World Cup.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Well let me see, they conceded on a GK error, they dominated play and Morocco barely did anything but hoove the ball away the last 40 minutes of the match. People like an underdog story and all but if a Poland had played like Morocco people would be whining hardcore about it.
Now you're getting paranoid, just on the other side haha

Marocco played with balls, something Poland never did.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah he was clearly not laughing. But I have zero sympathy for him the way he’s conducted himself the last couple of months.
People are piling on him but honestly can’t enjoy it myself. It must be hell to go through what he has gone. Every act is scrutinised, you can’t act as if he doesn’t care he does.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
People are piling on him but honestly can’t enjoy it myself. It must be hell to go through what he has gone. Every act is scrutinised, you can’t act as if he doesn’t care he does.
Yeah I don’t think anyone that’s rational would question that he really cares. But the scrutiny he’s brought on himself too apart from being a superstar. He’s become a villain with the stuff he’s done and said lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad